Lucian and Thresh: Very interested!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krosan

07-11-2013

Right... Was thinking about this. I wanted to write out something more expansive, but it just wasn't fitting together. Reading Lucian's lore got some gears turning, and I really feel like he presents one of the most cinematic scenes in his lore of all the Champions.

Why is that, you ask? Because his villain is Thresh. And I'm going to talk about that for a moment.

Quite honestly, at this point I feel as if Thresh is depicted as one of the most depraved, truly evil individuals in the League, which helps him stand out from the rest of his faction: the Shadow Isles champions are a pack of nasty customers to begin with, but most of them have in common the concept that they work to serve the greater powers at work within the Shadow Isles. Elise leads sacrifices to a spider god to increase her own power, Hecarim is the general of an army of phantoms, Mordekaiser draws power from death and suffering, so on and so forth.

Thresh gains power from collecting souls... which means that him hunting, torturing, tormenting, and breaking his victims is nothing more than a hobby. He doesn't get anything from it. He's a sadistic monster beyond all redemption who will follow you to the ends of the earth and break your mind before finally killing you, and he does it for the lulz.

This is why Lucian's lore already has me deeply interested. It's super interesting for *both* characters. From Lucian's perspective, Thresh took away the one constant in his life; it's clearly made him a stronger warrior, but now there's little left to his life except fighting the Shadow Isles. That's a dangerous thing, and I would suspect Lucian is a much less stable individual now than he was before.

And from Thresh's perspective...

Was Senna his prey? Or just a side bonus?

How delicious would the soul be, for the Warden to strip away every little thing that brought happiness and humanity to one of the Shadow Isle's strongest enemies?

How glorious a victory, to break him in the end? How powerful must a Champion's soul be?

The sheer ambiguity is fairly delicious, because it means that the story can be spun either way. Either Lucian triumphs over adversity and uses it to make himself stronger in the fight against evil... or the entire thing is a sick game being strung out for Thresh's amusement.

(As a side note, I do consider Thresh on an "Evil Tier" above purely-destructive entities like Brand and Nocturne, as well; intent matters a lot to me, and most of the evil supernatural entities in the League are just acting on their natures. The only other character off the top of my head who I'd consider competition for Thresh is Lissandra, who exemplifies a lot of the same sense of deliberate, calculated action. Feel free to offer counterpoints!)

Nexzalas

07-11-2013

You're forgetting the most evilest champion out of the whole League of Legend, Viegar.
He just wants to watch the whole world burn before he takes it over.

Krosan

07-11-2013

I dunno. I mean, it could be argued that way, but Veigar has some backstory stuff that takes away some of his agency in the matter; he's evil because he's broken, and gives off a definite vibe of seeking out power because of a natural desire to overcompensate for his small size and the treatment he's endured.

Very, very few champions in the League are blatantly evil for their own sakes, and that's why Thresh piques my interest so strongly. Sure we have incarnations of fear (Nocturne), pain (Mordekaiser to some extent) and destruction (Brand), but it's generally presented as either part of their nature or explained by past trauma.

It's part of what makes League's lore style so intriguing to me; there are not many more clear-cut "good guys" than there are clear-cut villains. Noxians are brutal and ruthless, but Demacia follows the kind of ironclad "Justice At All Costs" theme that sends warning chills down the spine of anybody who's had the pleasure of having a GM subject them to a Lawful Evil-aligned civilization in a roleplaying game. Even that major conflict point in the lore, from a certain perspective, boils down to dingy grey versus dark grey.

Coalmineheroes

07-13-2013

Doesn't thresh's lore state that is bring the souls back to the shadow isles. Not to disprove anything, I'd definitely say he is the malevolent of the S.I. Champs.