You know, Supporting in Solo Queue isn't all that bad.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

King o Karp

01-26-2013

Hi, I'm Thedarkmoogle, and I main support. My main supports are Lulu, Taric, and I'm on my way to learning Sona.

So, I see posts on here all the time, about how supporting sucks, and how supporting ESPECIALLY sucks in Solo Queue. How they're always paired with AD carries who are stupid, or trolls, or how they can't get any items due to lack of gold.

I recently put a theory up on here, This was for the AD carries and the supports, with the intent to give them a sort of regulated system in which the supports got sufficient gold to buy items they can use to help support more. While there were some yays and some nays, I would like to state that the idea is something I tested, that worked for me and my usual lane partners, both as carry and as support. I wasn't trying to say that that was how things should have been, but it works for us, and so I thought I could help the others out, and let them go out and try it.

But, that's a bit of a tangent. I'd like to say this, though. Supporting in Solo Queue? Not as bad as it's made out to be. We are supports. We're not there to win games. We're there to help. We do the things that nobody else wants to. We spend our gold on wards, so that others don't have to. Our job is to devote our existence entirely to the benefit of the team, and not just one person. So, if you're supporting, you should be a helpful person by nature, and WANT to assist your allies in any way, shape, or form.

This does mean taking a few dives here and there, in order to save the carry. This does mean occasionally wasting an ult, to let the team escape, leaving you to die. You're there to help, and this should extend to beyond the game, too. If you're supporting them, it shouldn't just be buying wards, and doing all of the usual support stuff. It should be giving them advice, supporting them emotionally, too. When they nab a kill, tell them they did a good job! When you save them, don't expect gratitude, but accept it if it's given. It's your job, and you should be happy doing it.

If your allies make mistakes, don't rage about it. That's not what a support does. A support is supposed to lift the spirits, AND the game of their allies, with a positive attitude, and careful planning. If someone dies or does something stupid, don't yell at them, or call them noob, or whatever. Calmly tell them that they shouldn't have done that, and that maybe they should find a better alternative in that situation. The key to this is staying calm.

It's a game. Even if there is ranking on the line, remember. It's a game. and what's 15-20 ELO, compared to teaching someone a valuable lesson, that will hold, no matter their ranking, or yours? This helps them, this helps you. This paints a much more positive image on the support role, and makes people more keen to listen to their supports. If every carry who learned something from their support went and told their friends about it, the likelihood that they would listen to their supports from that point on is significantly increased!

It's all about being positive, being calm, and supportive. After all, you're a support, that's what you do! Raging, and coming on here talking about how bad it is to support in Solo Queue, doesn't help the support role at all! Makes people stay away from it. If you're in low ELO, maybe that's a hint. Maybe that's where you're needed, as a support. After all, someone's got to carry the carries, right?

We're the supports. We're the bringers of hope. The bearers of life and light. We're nurturers, protectors, and saviors, and though we're underappreciated, that's not a problem. We're unsung heroes, and any support worth their salt should be content with this.

I know I sound preachy and, perhaps a bit silly. And yes, I know there are people who'll just call you noob and tell you to gtfo when you give them a criticism. It's those kinds of people who need the help.

I believe in this community. I believe that we can pull ourselves out from the gutter, and become something more respectable. Something to be admired. And in time...I'm sure it will happen.

Thanks for reading, and I hope I've helped a bit.

*Whimsy's away*

Mothalius

01-26-2013

Dude supporting in solo queue is awesome. I've been supporting Thresh all day, i'm 8-1 with him so far. He's so much fun and actually very good if you play him right.

SeCKS Egai

01-26-2013

I wouldn't downplay the value of a support - They may rarely be the center of the big plays, but they have quite an impact on the game. I hardly pvp these days, but with Vayne as my main, I can truly appreciate a support as when I do run my Vayne, the support makes more of a difference than I will. With a great support I won't get zoned out and probably zone the enemy. With a weak support I'll end up zoned out, underfed, and barely a threat. In a successful game, I may have a pretty kill count, but in those cases I know it was the support that made it possible in the first place.

elktrkpancake92

01-26-2013

You can't milk those

ViralPanda

08-06-2013

I love this advice and I am naturally built this way. My problem is the League of Legends community other than adcs. I make call outs, try to keep the team together, but then there are d-bags that claim they get more kills and therefore they are better which means they don't give a care about call outs from a support. Also, ward timers are ignored by junglers. Even after telling them the time they warded and time it will go out they would repeatedly try to fail at ganking lanes that enemies are aware of their presence in.

AsheGetsGanked

08-07-2013

The problem is, supporting can get pretty boring, usually gets left for the last pick, never get the acclaim that they deserve, seriously when a dbag adc tells you "oh I fed myself," makes you not want to play support. There are too many high ego adcs that whine when things go way wrong and if they are doing well they take most of the credit. And especially in Bronze I don't want to support in that elo unless I have too....

Echo5kw

08-07-2013

I love supporting my team. I hate supporting solo queue. everyone thinks they can tell you who to support as, as if there's only sona, thresh and janna anymore. adc's don't understand that not every poke is an engage, and that really sucks. supporting isn't just about engaging, it's about KEEPING the other adc from farming. even with thresh, not every hook is an engage.

PlsApport

08-07-2013

Guys pls stahp, you're hurting my brain, this isn't the usual circlejerk wtf?!

Thaiboxer87

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo5kw View Post
I love supporting my team. I hate supporting solo queue. everyone thinks they can tell you who to support as, as if there's only sona, thresh and janna anymore. adc's don't understand that not every poke is an engage, and that really sucks. supporting isn't just about engaging, it's about KEEPING the other adc from farming. even with thresh, not every hook is an engage.
I feel that. thats Y I like playing raka,Kayle for supp. Raka poke is in no way a sign for adc to engage, no matter how dumb your adc is XD. Raka is such a passive champ, I can poke all day(mana-free, mind you) without worrying about my ADC diving to feed.

neoxenos

08-07-2013

I love supporting when I have competent teammates. But if you lay a crescendo down on 4/5 of their team and no one can do anything with it, what real good are you doing the team? Or if you land a good ult or a good heal and then they just run back into their team and die? I have a running post of all teh support ranked games I play, and I'm pretty sure its negative because my team just refused to follow up on good nami bubbles/sona crescendos/janna ults. In no way shape or form am I saying all of my games are perfect but there's only so much you can do as a support.