Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Matchmaking Explosion During Double IP Weekend.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MetalGuitarist

01-26-2013

Quote:
Mothalius:
It seems everyone lately has this misleading sense of entitlement about this game, when everything they offer is free. Only when it's not 100% at their own convenience, people act like this and become snobs. I literally don't understand.

If this was really a "free" game Riot wouldn't be supporting it. Everything they offer is free? Last I checked there are in-game monitary transactions. Riot is making an absolute killing off of this "free" game. To think that we aren't their customers and are just entitled snobs is pretty ridiculous. I figuratively don't understand.

Frodude

01-26-2013

Well here's the deal... I work at TigerDirect, and I so happen to be their account manager and let me tell you this, there is absolutely no reason for there to be any downtime due to "maintenance of servers". They get top of the line **** so for this to happen is completely and totally uncalled for. I will be calling them first thing in the morning on Monday and asking them what's going on with their network room of 20 servers.

Mothalius

01-26-2013

Quote:
MetalGuitar:
If this was really a "free" game Riot wouldn't be supporting it. Everything they offer is free? Last I checked there are in-game monitary transactions. Riot is making an absolute killing off of this "free" game. To think that we aren't their customers and are just entitled snobs is pretty ridiculous. I figuratively don't understand.

It's what's known as a "freemium" game, because you can play the entire game from start to finish, own all the champions and get all the runes etc without spending a single cent. That's why it's free.

Just because they have things that cost money, does not mean you have to buy them, or that this game isn't free.

adc

01-26-2013

Quote:
MetalGuitar:

Just because there are microtransactions doesn't mean that it isn't a free game. The only things that can only be purchased with RP are things that don't matter. You can purchase everything you need to be a pro level player with just IP.

KidWiener

01-26-2013

This threads now about spiderman.

PoisonedPeace

01-26-2013

Quote:
AD Bottom:
Just because there are microtransactions doesn't mean that it isn't a free game. The only things that can only be purchased with RP are things that don't matter. You can purchase everything you need to be a pro level player with just IP.

The point is that some people do buy RP (not me, Im broke) and those people are directly customers of Riot. Are they entitled to free double IP, obviously not. Frankly they aren't entitled to anymore than whatever they bought with their IP. However, they are still customers, and customers tend to feel entitled to whatever they want. I have worked in many customer service positions and it is the same no matter what industry, quality, quantity. People will always feel entitled to things that they dont pay for if someone else makes a mistake.

Demoritus

01-26-2013

Quote:
Frodude:
Well here's the deal... I work at TigerDirect, and I so happen to be their account manager and let me tell you this, there is absolutely no reason for there to be any downtime due to "maintenance of servers". They get top of the line **** so for this to happen is completely and totally uncalled for. I will be calling them first thing in the morning on Monday and asking them what's going on with their network room of 20 servers.

uhh...cool story?

Mothalius

01-26-2013

Quote:
PoisonedPeace:
The point is that some people do buy RP (not me, Im broke) and those people are directly customers of Riot. Are they entitled to free double IP, obviously not. Frankly they aren't entitled to anymore than whatever they bought with their IP. However, they are still customers, and customers tend to feel entitled to whatever they want. I have worked in many customer service positions and it is the same no matter what industry, quality, quantity. People will always feel entitled to things that they dont pay for if someone else makes a mistake.

This is expressely why I said people have no right to be entitled to the free IP, and why I said nothing about the servers. I agree that if people have spent money on skins and on the game in general, then yes they can be upset about the servers being down.

adc

01-26-2013

Quote:
PoisonedPeace:

They're not paying for the servers to be up. They're paying for use of a skin, or a champion, or whatever. Riot has hiccups, just like any other place - they just happen to have more of a following than most other places.

I've personally put $400-$500 into League, and yes I do have some problems with it, but overall League is great and I don't have any problems with there being some occasional mistakes or downtimes.

I don't think anybody who plays now and complains played back in S1. 2-3 days after every patch (this was when there was a patch every week or two) the game was just utterly unplayable.

Demoritus

01-26-2013

Don't worry...that tiger direct guy is going to call them FIRST thing in the morning. Since you know....he's their account manager and they are completely unreachable to him at the moment.