Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Basic Strategy Help!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Poppfarts

01-26-2013

I played LoL right when it came out years ago and then took a 2 year long vacation from it for a variety of reasons.

I now see that I am absolutely terrible and I know exactly why.

It is so easy for me to find guides on how to build and play specific toons, but there is a strategy involved that is just "known" and if you don't know it, instead of offering helpful advice, random teammates often rage (e.g., "OMG why aren't you targeting MF!?&quot.

I would love to have a basic outline of what you want to be doing beginning, middle, and end game, what is best done in team fights (e.g. which enemy you want to be targeting first and why), and what a standard team make up should be and why one type of toon is necessary compared to another type.

If you have links to other threads that offer some or all of these answers, they are welcome as well! I am honestly just trying to gather as much information as possible so people stop raging at me for being terrible (even when I outright say "I'm not that good and any constructive criticism would be helpful&quot. But of course there are a lot of children that play this game, regardless of age, and unless I can just pull my weight without advice, they're going to get angry.

Thanks in advance!

asmit10z

01-26-2013

Add me and we can play some coop vs. ai / normal games together.

As to your questions..
A team composition normally has an attack damage carry, support, ability power carry, jungler, and a tanky bruiser.

The adc and support go bot, the apc goes mid, the jungler goes in the jungle, and the bruiser goes top.

Also, you normally wanna be focusing people with the highest damage output. This would normally be the ADC or APC.

Poppfarts

01-26-2013

Quote:
asmit10z:
Add me and we can play some coop vs. ai / normal games together.

As to your questions..
A team composition normally has an attack damage carry, support, ability power carry, jungler, and a tanky bruiser.

The adc and support go bot, the apc goes mid, the jungler goes in the jungle, and the bruiser goes top.

Also, you normally wanna be focusing people with the highest damage output. This would normally be the ADC or APC.

Thanks! I will. I'd like to play with someone that I'm not embarrassed to say "I don't know what I'm doing wrong" to haha.

adc

01-26-2013

So a few things.

First, the current meta:

ADC bottom with a 0 CS support. An ADC is a hero that attacks (generally from range) often and doesn't scale with anything but items. Examples are Ashe and Draven. A 0 CS support is a hero that scales with levels, but not items. Examples are Taric and Lulu.

AP mid lane, solo. An AP mid is a hero that scales off both levels and items (Orianna, Anivia). Lately there have been an influx of AD casters mid, who are basically the same thing but instead of building AP, they build AD (Kha'zix, Talon).

Jungler can be anything that can clear the jungle (Lee Sin, Maokai, Xin Zhao), but support or tank junglers (Maokai, for example) who can gank well are generally the best right now.

Top lane is whatever you need - this generally happens to be an AD bruiser (Riven, Kha'zix), who can do lots of damage but also take a beating so that he can survive the long solo lane. You can put anything here, but AD Bruisers tend to be best.

In teamfights, your priority changes based on the role.

As a tank (or bruiser), you should prioritize these things:

If your ADC is doing well, peel for him. Keep him alive.
If your ADC is safe, or not doing well, try and shove the enemy carry out of the fight (or kill him).

As an assassin:

Kill the enemy carry.
If you can't safely do that (ie. you won't kill them), keep your carry alive.

As an AP mid or an AD caster:

Try and drop the enemy carries, but don't be afraid to use your skills on whoever's closest (priority: APC with spells, ADC, APC without spells, bruisers, tanks).

As an ADC:

Stay alive.
Autoattack the closest target. All the time. If you cancel an autoattack, you're not doing the best you could be. Prioritize: Enemy APC with spells, ADC, APC without spells, bruisers, tanks. However, you should always try and kill the tank right in front of you instead of diving for the ADC. Staying alive is more important!

Poppfarts

01-26-2013

Thanks so much! Extremely helpful and exactly what I needed

Voyles

01-26-2013

Most of the times you go after the guys that damage such as the AP carry, AD carry, or the AD bruiser. It also depends if one of your enemies has CC and is squishy, such as Veigar, an AP Carry. Sometimes supports that are squishy but gives their team a buff might need to go first, such as Sona. But, you don't want to go after a tanky support first, such as Alistar or Volibear.

There's all kinds of strategies for top, mid, bot and jungle. Even though they sound as roles, don't expect a Rammus or Cho'Gath jungle to act like a Lee Sin or Olaf jungle. Don't expect AP bruiser such as Katarina mid to act like an AP carry such as Annie mid. It's not so much as the roles as the champs. Some team compositions work better than others. Veigar is better with teammates who have burst damage. Since Katarina does do burst damage, she does better with other champs that have CC. Just because both Katarina and Veigar are champions that do better mid doesn't mean they do the same role and can fill in the same type of team combination. Each will need different team mates to help their roles.

Only thing I can say is experience is the key. Keep watching tournaments and ranked games that other people play. Also use League Replays (http://www.leaguereplays.com/) to go back and watch your old matches to see what you did right or wrong and learn.

Poppfarts

01-26-2013

Here's another question... what kind of toons should be engaging the team fight? I know some toons are meant to hang back while there are other ones that are supposed to initiate. I'm assuming that the tanky toons like Amumu are meant to get in there first? Plus he has the AoE ult. So is it basically just the toons that are able to take the most damage go in first and the carries and supports come in after?

adc

01-26-2013

It depends. Generally the tank goes in first (heroes like Amumu, yes, but also Leona - who's a support) - also called initiating the fight. But an AP mid can also initiate by catching an enemy out of position, as can an assassin. After the initial wave of CC goes down, you generally have bruisers and heroes like Katarina coming in (heroes that have channeled abilities or rely on resets to their abilities - which Katarina has both). Sometimes bruisers will engage the fight as well, too. Then you have the carries coming in (though keep in mind they should be attacking whenever possible, even if the tank hasn't exactly engaged yet - just don't get engaged on yourself!).

Also, as a tip, players will generally be more used to seeing the word "champion" instead of toon (even though you'll see myself use "heroes", since I'm a DotA player). Try to get into that habit. People will still understand toon, but it'll take a second.

Poppfarts

01-26-2013

I played WoW for awhile before I got into League haha so that's probably where I picked that up... but I leveled my League account to 30 a couple years, so I've at least had some experience with discussing the game play :P

adc

01-26-2013

Yeah, my mother uses toon a lot. Confuses the **** out of my unless I'm expecting it, lol.