What Features Would You Like For DominateDominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kirillian

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
I have done hours and hours of thinking on this and talked to Feedski about the idea myself.
It would require a LOT of work and a team of people to validate the games played for a custom ranked mode.

Basically, I'm saying its a large project that would require a lot of effort from the community to be an effective route. A big headache.

I'll give you this though. If you can design the system, and I mean every single part of the system, post it up. I'm sure that in itself will be enough inspiration for everyone to hop on board.
kirillian here...I am a senior developer with a large amount of experience in web projects. I don't know everything and am not good at everything, but I know a good deal and the new technologies that I don't know yet make web development exciting. There's always more things to learn.

I talked with Feedski about this a little bit too and started looking into it. We can automate this, but it will take one person a large amount of time...or...if we can get people excited to be a part of this, a team of developers could knock this out quite a bit faster.

The biggest problems with an elo system wouldn't be the algorithms to calculate elo, but the following problems would need solving:
- Getting the data - we have to get it from somewhere...be it custom games only or datamining from 3rd party sites or directly from Riot once their API comes out (there's this which looks promising to hook into: http://elophant.com/developers).
- Storing the data - obviously we're gonna have to set up a database somewhere or contract with a 3rd party that's already mining the data to make a connection that we can run calculations on. This might mean setting up a DB out there somewhere.
- Calculating/running algorithms - we're probably going to have to run an application that periodically runs calculations as my guess is the dataset is going to be too large to calculate ELO per request. This means an application server somewhere.
- Displaying this stuff on DD. Wordpress doesn't talk to anything else out of the box...you have to add plugins and whatnot to it in order to get it to do so...or you can use iframes and other such things to make widgets on the page...we'll probably have to either find a widget that can talk with our application premade (unlikely) or we'll need to make one...I didn't look into this too much, but it looked like Javascript widgets were what I was seeing the most of...not sure if this is all that we could use, but it was common so I figured documentation would be good concerning this too...

So what do we know for sure?
- We need an application server somewhere...I'll be glad to donate this and provide hosting costs...I'll even be glad to make/work with people to get this set up.
- We might need a database as well...I'm not sure if we can run this on the application server or if it makes sense to say leverage Amazon's Cloud database or something similar...anyone else have experience with big data applications and want to throw down some thoughts? Alternately, we MIGHT be able to utilize an api from a 3rd party site if they can provide us what we need to calculate elo and are willing to work with us and allow us access. It's possible that they may even be willing to do the calculations on their own data for a price.
- We need some way to add this stuff into the Wordpress application. Widget coders, here's your chance...or upcoming Javascript programmers...you might have to wait until the application is partly built though.

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Improvements? Is anyone interested in working on this with me? Even if you're in college and don't have a lot of experience, if you're willing to learn some and work with others, I bet we can make it work...and if you need a project or something for a college portfolio or something, I bet that could be managed too. If this takes off with enough interest, I'll set us up the tools we need to corroborate. I'm not rich by any means, but I can and am willing to donate the stuff we would need to get this done.

smXho

01-29-2013

Can we get a punch bag programme? with a face of Kass on it?

Loosing to blind pick Kass all day makes me seek ways to take my frustration out

Kaiseresc

01-29-2013

Make videos of tutorials and "how to", tactics, etc. Things that new players could see and learn.
Top 5 Fails. Top 5 plays.
start posting results for EU tourney too. The 4PL site is in german, so it would be a blast if I could check the results in english.
a weekly chronicle would be interesting too.

DG Denz Brujah

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD TheFeedski View Post
Gaaaah. I've wanted to do this for quite some time. I definitely need to try to find some staff to help me out with it but i'll do my best to bring that to ya.
I remember trying to help w this and most folks may not realize how much work and frustration I'd involved in doing this .... In my own attempts at helping DD w this i found that most recording software is quite buggy and I had It crash many times and using the FF would crash it do I would have to sit through the same clips numerous times. Secondly it's pretty much a full time job that requires watching tons of clips and then determining if it was worthy of T5 status. Sadly I could not meet this demand but wish good luck and best wishes to whoever does take over

kirillian

01-30-2013

I created a github organization called dominatedominion so we can start putting projects up there under that umbrella...so if you're working on a project for DD, hit me up or send me a message on github and I'll get your project added...if you don't know how to use git...there's 100 million tutorials out there...if you are still confused, I can give you some help...same thing applies, hit me up in DD chat, github, or in League...or on our new raidcall channel...I'll help you get up and running so you can contribute to DD as well! For those of you who have used SVN, CSV, or other repository management systems in the past, github is a step up in the ability to allow lots of people to work on one project without having to worry about conflicts...

I've already started a project for the DD chat bot and I'll start other projects too if anyone is confused about how to even start a project. This should get us started down the path at the very least.

Golly

02-01-2013

/bump

DSpyder

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirillian View Post
kirillian here...I am a senior developer with a large amount of experience in web projects. I don't know everything and am not good at everything, but I know a good deal and the new technologies that I don't know yet make web development exciting. There's always more things to learn.

I talked with Feedski about this a little bit too and started looking into it. We can automate this, but it will take one person a large amount of time...or...if we can get people excited to be a part of this, a team of developers could knock this out quite a bit faster.

The biggest problems with an elo system wouldn't be the algorithms to calculate elo, but the following problems would need solving:
- Getting the data - we have to get it from somewhere...be it custom games only or datamining from 3rd party sites or directly from Riot once their API comes out (there's this which looks promising to hook into: http://elophant.com/developers).
- Storing the data - obviously we're gonna have to set up a database somewhere or contract with a 3rd party that's already mining the data to make a connection that we can run calculations on. This might mean setting up a DB out there somewhere.
- Calculating/running algorithms - we're probably going to have to run an application that periodically runs calculations as my guess is the dataset is going to be too large to calculate ELO per request. This means an application server somewhere.
- Displaying this stuff on DD. Wordpress doesn't talk to anything else out of the box...you have to add plugins and whatnot to it in order to get it to do so...or you can use iframes and other such things to make widgets on the page...we'll probably have to either find a widget that can talk with our application premade (unlikely) or we'll need to make one...I didn't look into this too much, but it looked like Javascript widgets were what I was seeing the most of...not sure if this is all that we could use, but it was common so I figured documentation would be good concerning this too...

So what do we know for sure?
- We need an application server somewhere...I'll be glad to donate this and provide hosting costs...I'll even be glad to make/work with people to get this set up.
- We might need a database as well...I'm not sure if we can run this on the application server or if it makes sense to say leverage Amazon's Cloud database or something similar...anyone else have experience with big data applications and want to throw down some thoughts? Alternately, we MIGHT be able to utilize an api from a 3rd party site if they can provide us what we need to calculate elo and are willing to work with us and allow us access. It's possible that they may even be willing to do the calculations on their own data for a price.
- We need some way to add this stuff into the Wordpress application. Widget coders, here's your chance...or upcoming Javascript programmers...you might have to wait until the application is partly built though.

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Improvements? Is anyone interested in working on this with me? Even if you're in college and don't have a lot of experience, if you're willing to learn some and work with others, I bet we can make it work...and if you need a project or something for a college portfolio or something, I bet that could be managed too. If this takes off with enough interest, I'll set us up the tools we need to corroborate. I'm not rich by any means, but I can and am willing to donate the stuff we would need to get this done.
After a little too much JD:

I have an idea for a ranked league, but am unsure if it is feasible. It would be easier to explain thru chat so I'm going to try and add you to my friends list, so I can hit you up when you are on.

Eyemite

02-03-2013

I like how you have the "high elo with X player stream" However the commenting is fairly limited that they do on the games they play or review.

I was thinking maybe when someone guest hosts from high elo they can review or live comment on their builds and why they built x items for their game as well as more in depth stategies play by play. Maybe even some mastery and rune explanation of how they like to play certain champs.

After all this is dominate dominion, show the way to domination.

Quincunx

02-11-2013

I'm a little late here, but here's some stuff I'd like to see:

-VoD's and stats of DominateDominion tournaments (or links to VoD's) in some nice format

-A better guide system, at least with the S3 masteries

-A more responsive/faster website in general