Support my support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneSixthIrish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2013

Hey folks, it's almost Season 3 and it's shaping up that I'll be supporting on a 5's team, and since nobody else wants it, I'm supporting. What I'd like to know is everything about support. What do you like to play, who is good built with what, and what's the best way to play my top 3 supports currently. Leona, Soraka, and Blitz?

P.S. How is Thresh?

PrincePapa

01-26-2013

Well, first of all, you need to pick-up other supports than that.

But let's start with Blitz : Permanently banned. If he isn't, any carry will do, since if you land a grab the enemy is probably done for (unless you grabbed Leona/Ali/Taric). However, Burst champs (Graves for example) tend to use Blitz to his full potential, since if you grab the enemy carry or a squishy support it is guaranteed to kill him. You don't need to do much with Blitz, since hsis presence alone will zone the enemy.

Soraka : Good for champions that can take care of poking and can stay alive on their own. Basically, any carry with poke and escape is great at that (Cait, Graves, Ezreal, Corki). You can poke with your silence (If my carry doesn't get poke that much, I like to max her silence and abuse it). I'm not a fan of starcall, since it pushes the lane.

Leona : Pretty much as deadly as Blitz, and plays the same way, so again, champs like Graves works wonders with her. At level 6, landing in a grab is pretty much a free kill, since you can stun the enemy carry for about 4 seconds. She isn't mana hungry, so don't be afraid to dive in (as long as your carry follows) with a grab + stun then run with your shield up. It will usually leave the enemy carry pretty damaged while you leave with almost full hp.

As for Tresh, he's pretty good. Pretty hard to poke with him against smart players, but the damage adds up fast. His grab is pretty powerful, since it acts more like a stun than a grab, then he can launch the player upwards and slow him. he's weak against champs with escapes, since they can dodge him fairly easily. His ult has a crazy slow, so with champs that can abuse it (*cough cough* MF ult) it can get pretty ridiculous. He's alot similar to Leona in a way, since he can initiate then CC the whole enemy team. Pretty strong support, though his lack of sustain makes him susceptible to heavy poke match-up (Sona, Ezreal, Lulu, Cait, etc)

Shadowed Ruby

01-26-2013

Soraka can be played poke or sustain, depending on how your ADC plays.

Focus on pissing off the other support who goes in for poke or what not, silence them as soon as they step out. If it is a Leona, and you see her Zenith blade land on your ADC, silence asap to try and prolong her combo. If your ADC has an escape it could very well be a kill denied.

Your heal grants armor, if your ADC is going to duke it out, it may be worth using it early on to maximise that buff potential. Don't forget that sometimes it's better to silence the support than the adc, but silencing an ADC like Ezreal is always good. People get out of position with his E and you can punish that.

Blitz is all about zoning, and landing that 1 lucky grab. The sheer presence of Blitz means their support and ADC are playing super cautiously. Try to land all your Q's, you will be -very- intimidating to the enemy, and that makes laning 400% easier.

Leona goes in for the kill. You should be scaring the heck out of the enemy bot laner. At level 2, your Zenith and Stun can get an early first blood, but even if it doesn't you can send the enemy ADC b'ing for xp and gold deny. Be careful if your enemy has a peeler or disengage Support (Soraka, Taric, Thresh), your Zenith will put you out of position, and could possibly get you killed if their support is on the ball.

WhoopsiGoldburg

01-26-2013

I'd say learn taric and you'll be set. Blitz has a pretty high ban rate so in a best case scenario you have three agressive supports to pick between and one for a sustain farm lane.

IS1b5f8679d19763

01-26-2013

Against Leona,Nunu and Nocturn; pick Janna as her Q can shut down Leona's engage(her E) and disrupt Nunu's ult. She's also good with anyone, but I usually prefer to lane her with Draven because of his mega poke+her shield. If Noc is level 6, Janna's ult can simply push Noc away if he tries to gank bot with his ult.

Against Vayne players, I'd pick Lulu. You can just morph Vayne during fights and E Vayne when she ults and ties to stealth with her tumble.
With Vayne: Nami, Nunu and Leona. simply lane bushes warded and with Nami/Leona you can engage with the stun and if your Vayne is good she will follow up with condemn (if they are near a wall). Nunu bloodboil goes well with Vayne's true damage.

Against Taric and Nunu, I prefer to go Sona (with a bit of magic pen and max Q). Most Taric players who do not know how to play him will keep trying to focus on stunning the enemy adc and ignore the support. So when they ignore you, just punish him. All you have to do is always have your passive at 2 charges then when he goes in just Q and auto attack them with your passive on. Sona also does well with Varus as she should ult to give way for Varus to hit his ult as it is hard for most Varus to hit their ults.

Lux is also a good support (but do not actually go full support build as all you need for support build is phil stone, kage pick, sightstone and after that build pure ap). Start with her snare no matter what and max E first. She also fairs well with Ez and Cait. As her ult gives vision for Cait. Also don't needlessly spam Lux snares as she is mana hungry. Use them for when you are 100% certain it will hit, engages and escapes.

As for all supports, do not let enemy supports dominant the bushes if they love to sit in them. Simply try to take back your bush if they dominant it, if that doesn't work just ward the bush. Having confidence and presence as a support changes many plays in the game.

Wish I could help more but I only play Janna and Sona. But for a certain period I have tried Lux support and it's pretty good for securing kills, but it's also a dual edge as she can take many kills from the adc (only pick her if your adc seems bad).