Question about Inappropriate Name + Other types of Reports.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aeolus Aether

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2014

Good afternoon, Rioters, Summoners.

Simple question, just occurred for me. Suppose someone is reported for having an inappropriate name. Only, the name is not inappropriate (by my judgement). There are 3 (or more) reported games, for varying reasons, definitely some of which warrant clicking the Punish button.

I click punish, which does two things:

- Places one vote towards placing an infraction on the summoner's account, which becomes part of a larger pool of votes. (Necessary)
- Alerts Riot that the summoner needs to change his in game name. (Completely not necessary).

What I'm hoping is that all IGN changes are actually reviewed by a live human being at some point in this process. The way reports are currently set up, it presupposes that if you have an inappropriate IGN, you are not also being toxic.

Also, I'm a software engineer. It is not that hard to, in the same [if statement] that displays the IGN, stick a form/action button underneath it which changes one variable. Thereby giving us the ability to vote on the name and on toxicity separately.

Other gripes that don't need a response:
-Also, please include lobby chat (even though that's probably a "massive undertaking").
-I want 1 IP for 100 tribunal cases, because I want to feel loved again.
-Put the tribunal in the air client, it's web based anyways.
-You do realize that there are engineers and developers in the community who would code stuff like this for free for the sake of improving game quality?

magooomba

02-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus Aether View Post
What I'm hoping is that all IGN changes are actually reviewed by a live human being at some point in this process. The way reports are currently set up, it presupposes that if you have an inappropriate IGN, you are not also being toxic.
I don't think it presupposes that in the least. The Tribunal is for the most part left to its own devices with regard to manual reviews. Should a case be punished, the punishment generally falls along the same line of escalation (warning, 3 day ban, etc.). Regardless of the report type, this is the process.

However, if the issue is an inappropriate name, Riot will review the name and issue a "temporary" permanent ban until the name is changed. But this is outside the normal Tribunal process - it is a manual escalation. I don't see the same issue you do. There is simply an additional step when a name is inappropriate.

Erdrik

02-11-2014

So basicly:
Just pardon/punish based on toxic behavior/lack of, and the inappropriate name reports will be sent independantly to Riot Staff?
Like how unskilled reports are handled by Riot to tweek matchmaking?

Jhregh

02-11-2014

Well if their toxic, but don't have an inappropriate name, but were reported for it, they will get checked. However, if they are reported for other reasons and weren't toxic, but they have an inappropriate name, then still punish.

MadmanWithBox

02-11-2014

-Have you posted/considered posting in the PvP.Net Discussion forum? Your suggestion might get a little more official attention in a feedback forum, as opposed to the TBI.

-I think safeguards are in place to differentiate between [inappropriate name] judgements and behavioral judgements. According to the Tribunal Guidelines, clicking Punish on a case indicates that you found reprehensible behavior in said case regardless of the report reasons listed, including but not limited to their choice in IGN. If a reportee's IGN is fine, but his behavior is otherwise objectionable, you should still click Punish. I would further postulate that a different system is used to determine whether a summoner's name must be changed.

-It's also possible that there are currently no such safeguards in place, but unjustly-imposed name-changes are statistically negligible, and that Riot's support services are prepared to address them. At any rate, I've never seen a complaint in the forums, so I assume it's not a significant problem right now.

Quote:
The way reports are currently set up, it presupposes that if you have an inappropriate IGN, you are not also being toxic.
-I do not believe this is the case. Tribunal judgements are automated and follow a set pattern, unless Riot intervenes via manual review (usually to issue a permanent ban). It's my understanding that the nature of the infractions is not germane to whether the offender receives a warning or a suspension. I believe that a summoner could have his account suspended for having an inappropriate IGN and be made to change that name.

Quote:
Also, please include lobby chat (even though that's probably a "massive undertaking").
-On Riot's to-do list, but very low priority. Massive undertaking that it is, it would soak up a lot of resources that Riot would rather spend elsewhere, and wouldn't have significant effect on Tribunal's accuracy.

Quote:
I want 1 IP for 100 tribunal cases, because I want to feel loved again.
-Riot Games does not love you. I think the reasoning is that IP bonuses would attract participants that only want the handout, as opposed to jurors that are genuinely interested in justice. People that are just interested in IP might not give appropriate attention to the cases they're reviewing - they may spam Punish or Pardon and collect their IP at the end of the week. People that view Tribunal participation as its own reward are more likely to vote responsibly. That's how I see it, anyway.

Quote:
Put the tribunal in the air client, it's web based anyways.
-Sounds cool. I'd like it. Maybe they will at that. It's probably below *include lobby chat* on their to-do list.

gnfnrf

02-11-2014

This is the way that name reports work, to the best of my knowledge.

Inappropriate Name reports are mixed in with other reports on the Tribunal. You've seen this.

They are voted on as normal. There is no attempt by the Tribunal software to distinguish whether the Name report was the reason, or some other report.

If the case is ruled a punish, the punishment is applied as normal (warning or ban, chat restrictions, everything). At the same time, the summoner name is submitted to Riot for manual review.

Some time 48 to 96 hours after the initial punishment, the Riot review finishes. If they deem the name inappropriate, the account is indefinitely suspended (superseding the original punishment), and the summoner directed to contact support to change the name.

If Riot reviews the name and clears it, I don't know what they do. Do they manually check the card for other problems, and revoke the punishment if it is also clean? Or just let it sit? No idea.

Mercer Skye

02-11-2014

I think, and bear in mind, this is speculation as they wisely don't give us more than we need, that the view would be that if a summoner is willing to violate naming policy, that there is a good chance that they would be inclined to also violate the summoner's code.

The only real question would be is if the case forks; Bad name AND bad behavior.

Which in my belief in common sense tells me that they side with the more grievous of the two offenses. If their behavior is good, and it's just the name, I imagine they simply put the name suspension on and give a warning not to punch in another name that violates the policy.

If the behavior is reproachable, beyond the disciplinary action of a name suspension, that punishment overrides, and they'd likely put an addendum on the review card email to change their name upon the ban lifting, or face further suspension until the issue is resolved.

I'd chalk it up at a slant to someone being on trial for an account of battery and murder. If they're found guilty of murder, no point stacking on the battery punishment, they'll be going away for life. If the murder charge is acquitted, than they worry about the battery charge. (Billy will likely cut me a knew one for butchering how that would work, but I think it still illustrates how I imagine it works)