Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot, can we talk about Today's Kat vs Last Year's Kat?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Impetual

01-27-2013

Quote:
Noxian Mercenary:
What about her rework do you like?

She feels like less of a one trick pony. W actually feels useful now. I know that it wasn't useless before, but it wasn't really a skill on it's own, just a modifier for her other skills.

Now she feels a lot more flexible in terms of how she does her damage, and is actually seen in competitive play. I'll admit that she might not be as hard to get kills with now, but I don't think that necessarily comes from her being easier to play. Before one stun at the right time would almost completely take her out of a fight, whereas now she can still contribute without her ult - which in my opinion is a good thing. All around, she just seems like she's in a much better spot to me.

Noxian Mercenary

01-27-2013

Quote:
Impetual:
She feels like less of a one trick pony. W actually feels useful now. I know that it wasn't useless before, but it wasn't really a skill on it's own, just a modifier for her other skills.

Now she feels a lot more flexible in terms of how she does her damage, and is actually seen in competitive play. I'll admit that she might not be as hard to get kills with her now, but I don't think that necessarily comes from her being easier to play. Before one stun at the right time would almost completely take her out of a fight, whereas now she can still contribute without her ult - which in my opinion is a good thing. All around, she just seems like she's in a much better spot to me.

Now - here's my issue and I want your opinion.

With the introduction of Sinister Steel, Kat now has a total of 3 AoE abilities - two of which are available each reset. Do you think that having the AoE has a huge effect on her passive being proc'd more often?

My other issue which I didn't mention, is her scapegoat of a speed-boost. It seems rather...well, unfair that she can move with immense speeds after supposedly "exposing" herself after a Q->E->W combo in lane.

Esilon

01-27-2013

i played and main kat since S1, old kat is definitely more fun than the new kat. i missed the day when shunpo actually do damage.....

Katarìna

01-27-2013

Quote:
Impetual:

Now she feels a lot more flexible in terms of how she does her damage, and is actually seen in competitive play. I'll admit that she might not be as hard to get kills with now, but I don't think that necessarily comes from her being easier to play. Before one stun at the right time would almost completely take her out of a fight, whereas now she can still contribute without her ult - which in my opinion is a good thing. All around, she just seems like she's in a much better spot to me.

Good Kats could contribute with just KI'd Bouncing Blades and Shunpos. Good Kats did not need Lotus, because often casting it against skilled players was a good way to lose the game. This was problematic for Kat, but not a complete disaster, the threat of not having used Lotus was often enough to keep the other team wary and fearful of committing. Therefore allowing your team to take risks they normally could not, and gain control of the map.

Yes, I will agree that Kat was in a better spot three months ago, but the constant barrage of nerfs have stripped her of her carry title, and shuffled her off to offtank/damagesoak assist bot.

Neonfox

01-27-2013

I wish they would bring back old Kat but knowing Riot they would never publicly admit they screwed up hard and actually do it.Having to rely on your ult was fun and challenging, and her random bouncing blades were a nice gamble.Not having a wave clear was fine when I had so much fun in teamfights, now it's just spam moves>reset>spam moves...It took more skill before and more decision making which I was fine with and had fun having to choose to completely all in engage my enemy with Shunpo or save it to run away.

Katarìna

01-27-2013

Regardless, I'm done discussing what sort of position Kat is in with someone who doesn't even appear to play her, or ranked for that matter.

Impetual

01-27-2013

Quote:
Noxian Mercenary:
Now - here's my issue and I want your opinion.

With the introduction of Sinister Steel, Kat now has a total of 3 AoE abilities - two of which are available each reset. Do you think that having the AoE has a huge effect on her passive being proc'd more often?

My other issue which I didn't mention, is her scapegoat of a speed-boost. It seems rather...well, unfair that she can move with immense speeds after supposedly "exposing" herself after a Q->E->W combo in lane.

To honest, It does seem a bit broken, but I don't think it's because of her new W. I think it mainly comes from her passive. I think it's alot like the problem that AP Yi faces. You get a kill for the reset, and it's awesome...if you don't it's meh. However that situation was present before the re-work as well. It's just that some of the damage got moved from her ult to her W. Now you need to land more skills to get similar damage.

However,

The reason why I only said it seems broken is because the data seems to indicate that it's not, being that she loses slightly more games than she wins. (ref:http://www.lolking.net/champions/).

Also, her rise in popularity seems to indicate that more people are willing to play her than before. I kinda assume that means more people are happier playing with her re-work than they were with her before. Not that popularity should mean everything though.

edit: her win rate climbed to 50.08% while this thread was going on! She broke the 50% barrier!

Firellius

01-27-2013

Didn't RIOT say, back in the day, that non-resource champions would have cooldowns where other champions have mana as their limitation?

Voracity doesn't belong on a no-resource champion.

Katarìna

01-27-2013

Quote:
Firellius:
Didn't RIOT say, back in the day, that non-resource champions would have cooldowns where other champions have mana as their limitation?

Voracity doesn't belong on a no-resource champion.

If Voracity were removed from Kat, I would firebomb Riot HQ.

Tsubakixv

01-27-2013

Kat in all honesty is fine. Yes she may be a bit strong in unorganized pubs but you rarely see her in high end games because she is so easy to shutdown. There's a much more broken meta going on thats ruining the game than kat and in fact counters kat. Warmogs stacking while your jungler builds runic bulwark.