A rant against people who absolutely refuse to admit defeat. (TL;DR warning)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

samjbow

06-01-2013

Picture this.

You've got five towers less than your opponents, half an hour into the game. You're losing in kills with a score of 10/9001. The enemy team consists of Caitlyn, Kha'zix, Sona, Amumu, and Lux. Your team consists of Shaco, Malzahar, Urgot, Karma and Fiora. Over the past 10 minutes your team has lost 3 or 4 teamfights by a very significant margin. At this point, most players would chalk it up to a loss, hit the Surrender button and call it a game.

But there's always those few - those duo-queue terrible people, who have to be white knights or something, and absolutely refuse to surrender.

Why do they do it? Are they trolls? Is it out of some misplaced sense of dignity? Like a lot of gamers I don't like to lose, but it's a natural part of the game. What really infuriates me is when those losses can be 20-25 minutes longer than they ever had to be, all because two people just wouldn't surrender. I can understand a 'never surrender' attitude but frankly it's just inconsiderate to every member of your team - even the enemy team would rather be queuing up for another game than having to fight out what is already an assured victory for them.

In games like Starcraft II it's considered polite to surrender when the time is right. Why isn't that the case in League of Legends?

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjbow View Post
Why isn't that the case in League of Legends?
It is, but there are always outliers.

There are people who are hopelessly defeatist. "We lost first blood, GG". Then there are people who are hopelessly optimistic. You find both kinds in this game. Just gotta roll with it.

Edit: This video may interest you greatly (or at least make you laugh). You're gonna have to trust me that it's relevant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFUI02fPEgQ

Bilvo

06-01-2013

You learn more from a loss.

MalevolentLemons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2013

I've won many games where we had no towers and like 5 kills and lost all of our towers/inhibs and won after 1-1.5 hours.

Ruinating End

06-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilvo View Post
You learn more from a loss.
Actually the game I learned the most in was a very close win.

The Retard Bear

06-01-2013

you never know when the enemy might disconnect!

CHYEAmonster

06-01-2013

I've literally had games where we were down to our inhibitor turrets and down 10 kills and the adc afks for the enemy team and we win. That's why

Ouroboro

06-01-2013

The last 3 ranked games, the enemy team shoulda listened to you.

All 3 of those games, they lost all inhibs and we attempted to win the game

Seriously, I wish they read this post. I wouldn't have lost LP because of the throws/afks

samjbow

06-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Clueless PhD View Post
Edit: This video may interest you greatly (or at least make you laugh). You're gonna have to trust me that it's relevant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFUI02fPEgQ
I've actually seen this, and it is hilarious and totally true. Thanks for posting it, hopefully everyone who reads this thread watches it.

AcrobaticApricot

06-01-2013

any game can be thrown, it is solo q after all

i surrender when i'm not having fun because i play this game for fun, but if you played to win instead of to have fun you would never surrender