AD yi vs. AP yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tekn0x

01-26-2013

Basically ive had way to many arguments about ad yi vs ap yi and wanted to know what the community though

My thoughts:
Ad yi is alot more viable then Ap yi reasons being
1. AP yi relies on his heal really hard and will often q into what would be suicide expecting his heal to save him but then gets insta stunned/knocked-up/silence etc. and just dies immediately

2. AD yi will have far more damage out put in a fight (unless ap yi saves his q just to ks every kill for a penta)

3. AP yi cant duel anyone 1 on 1 if they have a stun or silence what so ever (which alot of champs have at least one if its their ult or something)

4. AP yi relies entirely on his ult and if its not played perfectly before a kill (and lets say only gets an assist) then it is wasted and hes pointless for the rest of a fight

5. And alot of the time AP yi wont even get the kill with their q and will still just ult and e to chase the guy down for the remaining 400 damage for like 7 attacks and it just seems that if youre gonna chase and aa the guy anyway then wouldn't building crit and in those 7 attacks dong like 4k damage be alot more viable?

Those are my reasons for not liking ap yi but im open minded so what do you guys think?

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2013

Its a different playstyle. I've seen both do well.

AP Yi is a terror for teams without CC, and a wimp against those with. I'll play AP Yi ANYTIME I see a team without hard CC or low amounts like ultimates are their only CC. Its a free win. You can towerdive anyone after you get a Large Rod, and tank the turret for the full duration of your heal.

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2013

1. You don't heal in the middle of the fight unless you don't have a choice. If you find yourself stuck in the middle of them with no way out, and are forced to Meditate, then you probably chose a bad engagement in the first place. In that case, the problem has nothing to do with the champion, but with the player.

2. AD Yi has more consistent damage, but it requires him to actually stay in the fight and try to survive. AP Yi can Q in and then back off (or Q a minion that's about to die and never even have to get close to the enemy).

3. You don't pick AP Yi to duel. He's a very team-reliant pick. You're only supposed to go in when you know you can get a kill. Katarina is very similar unless you use the newer bruiser Kat build.

4. This is true. That's why it's very important to know when to go in. AP Yi is not an initiator, and he should not be in the teamfight from the very start. You wanna go in after someone is already low enough to kill.

5. This is a flaw with the player, not the build. Lots of people tunnel-vision on low HP enemies, not just AP Yi. There is no end to the number of 'what-ifs' you can throw out about champion builds. Any time you're losing, you can say "If I had X item/build, then I would have gotten that kill".

I'm not saying that AD Yi has worse damage, by any means. Nor am I saying that AP Yi is the only way to play him. They each have their place. You go AP Yi when you're against an especially squishy team, or if your team can poke and whittle down the enemy team until they're in kill range for you, and you mop up and then go take objectives.

You go AD Yi when the enemy team has little/no hard CC (slows don't bother you, obviously), and you can just right-click them and laugh as their HP chunks down. OR, you pick him when you want to ignore teamfights altogether and just go tear down their towers in 5 seconds. Of course, even with AD Yi, you don't want to go in first. Melee ADCs all have the same problem of having to find a way to survive a prolonged engagement.

In short, reset-based champs and builds rely on the player to know how and when to play it. If even 1 enemy gets low before/during a teamfight, and stays anywhere near the rest of their team, it's basically a free win.

Prototype Theory

01-26-2013

i will have to try this, i've been playing AP Yi... he's still good at taking towers though. he's just beastly if used correctly.

Pequeo Timmy

05-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvr View Post
1. You don't heal in the middle of the fight unless you don't have a choice. If you find yourself stuck in the middle of them with no way out, and are forced to Meditate, then you probably chose a bad engagement in the first place. In that case, the problem has nothing to do with the champion, but with the player.

2. AD Yi has more consistent damage, but it requires him to actually stay in the fight and try to survive. AP Yi can Q in and then back off (or Q a minion that's about to die and never even have to get close to the enemy).

3. You don't pick AP Yi to duel. He's a very team-reliant pick. You're only supposed to go in when you know you can get a kill. Katarina is very similar unless you use the newer bruiser Kat build.

4. This is true. That's why it's very important to know when to go in. AP Yi is not an initiator, and he should not be in the teamfight from the very start. You wanna go in after someone is already low enough to kill.

5. This is a flaw with the player, not the build. Lots of people tunnel-vision on low HP enemies, not just AP Yi. There is no end to the number of 'what-ifs' you can throw out about champion builds. Any time you're losing, you can say "If I had X item/build, then I would have gotten that kill".

I'm not saying that AD Yi has worse damage, by any means. Nor am I saying that AP Yi is the only way to play him. They each have their place. You go AP Yi when you're against an especially squishy team, or if your team can poke and whittle down the enemy team until they're in kill range for you, and you mop up and then go take objectives.

You go AD Yi when the enemy team has little/no hard CC (slows don't bother you, obviously), and you can just right-click them and laugh as their HP chunks down. OR, you pick him when you want to ignore teamfights altogether and just go tear down their towers in 5 seconds. Of course, even with AD Yi, you don't want to go in first. Melee ADCs all have the same problem of having to find a way to survive a prolonged engagement.

In short, reset-based champs and builds rely on the player to know how and when to play it. If even 1 enemy gets low before/during a teamfight, and stays anywhere near the rest of their team, it's basically a free win.
3. You don't pick AP Yi to duel

And thus negating the only chance he has to be a carry. That is, ganking like mad, killing in less than 4 seconds and running. AP Yi is literally useless in a REAL match(that is, Tank + Bruiser + ADC+ Mid+ Support), because, tell me, what are you gonna do(remember, you are your team's carry) after your Alpha Strike takes 35% hp out of them?

Nothing, you're gonna run around like an idiot hoping Alpha Strike goes out of cooldown before the fight ends.