Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elite Midget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Yup, I'm into equal rights. I'm a feminist. I want balance and variety. I want sexualizatinon in the right context, and i want clever execution when the ground is fertile for something unconventional. Come at me, bro.
Alright, brah. I'll come at you....

With hugs.

...B-bro hugs of course! Don't think there's anything more than this, bro! Just two bros hugging, or one bro hugging a bro. Nothing wrong with that, bro.

Though your hair does smell nice.

StormEagle5000

01-30-2013

Didn't think Annie really needed one quite yet. But sion yi and sivir for sure. In the future Nasus maybe karthus, I think they could make malz look cooler. Taric. I'd rather the focus on getting the remodels and stuff out then new champs etc. I don't see y it takes forever for new models to come out. I mean Annie was announced forever ago

ItemsGuy

01-30-2013

Quote:
Yup, I'm into equal rights. I'm a feminist. I want balance and variety. I want sexualizatinon in the right context, and i want clever execution when the ground is fertile for something unconventional. Come at me, bro.
Sexiness is like salt--it goes really well with certain things and in the right amount, but you can't just dump spoonfulls on everything! Salt on cake? Disgusting! That would be like putting Annie in lingerie and calling it a day. : P

Different dishes need different seasonings! For some, cooking in a handful red peppers is all you need. Others call for a bit of tomato paste and cilantro! It's the job of IronStylus as the chef (and the rest of the art team as his crew) to be able to discern which seasonings would compliment which dishes the best, and all that jazz!

RG Stylus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

IronStylus can you share your thoughts on how the Soraka remake turned out? How do you feel about it, was it executed the way you would have liked?

Beija

01-30-2013

Quote:
inb4everyoneisincladarmor

jk jk, but I agree... Sexy should be presented when sexy is needed.

However, throwing everyone under 3 layers of armor shouldn't be the safeguard.

I personally believe that you won't get as "elegant and graceful" as Leona. I'm throwing that out there now but it will never hurt to try on upcoming champs.

Anivias Egg

01-30-2013

Wait so is it going to be battlecast or somthing else?

Malah

01-30-2013

Annie thread? What Annie thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Gal in a monochrome dress is a weak theme that isn't really doing anything.
Monochrome?

Karma is fairly average for colour variation in this game. She has two colours (White/Black) which is more than a number of champions and as many as most of them. Then again, you might be looking at her splash, which is understandable when half the splashes don't match the model's colour scheme of the champions they portray.

She's unappealing visually because her theme is more graceful than most of the others which are either brutes, psychos, or exotic weirdos (Vi, Zed, Nami). Bimbo's gone off that list since the forums started to throw fits over the portrayal of women, but it hasn't stopped the art team from using bust sizes out of magazines. Most of the people who are going to play a combat game either don't care about class or place it far lower than things like shiny colours, loud noises, and explosions.

Her theme is fine. Put together with her lore, her visuals and VO reflect a rich character design. The comparison is quite simple: the difference between liking Karma and a design like Vi is like the difference between preferring reading or watching a reality TV show.

Quote:
This is a good point, and may be a risk. I haven't reviewed the current art, but I'll have IronStylus post about this maybe.
If Karma is so dramatically unpopular and won't get popular after a rework according to data you're choosing to follow, why not just please the niche crowd instead of flipping them off just to bring in a few people on the fence?

Her theme works, it's just not going to bring in a large number of people. I'm a diehard fan for designs like Karma and Sejuani (even with That We Shouldn't Speak Of) but if people are going to foam at the mouth for things like Durrius and Jayce, then give them their brain crack and toss the people on the fringe a bone once and a while. It would be very nice to keep Karma among the extreme minority of women in this game who aren't blatantly stripperific or at least pumped with fanservice.

Quote:
We are NOT making her a stripper or ANYTHING CLOSE. I have made EXTRA SURE that visual rework efforts steered away from this trend. We are retaining classy and elegant. There might be a bit more skin but it's going to be damn tasteful.
Riiight.

Do be aware that making that declaration in public means there will be an angry mob if it doesn't happen.

Kagome

01-30-2013

Quote:
Typically, reworks are accompanied by a new skin (and if not right away, shortly after). Many of the champions that need skins badly are getting visual reworks also, preventing us from making the new skin until that's completed.

Nidalee and Soraka are getting new skins in the immediate future, they were just delayed to improve them a bit.

EDIT: Need to amend this - we chose to do this in a few specific cases, but this is not a "rule", especially as we can't keep that cadence with skins as we speed up reworks. Adding to original post.
YES THANK YOU MORELLO! I want a new Nidalee skin so bad >-<
All I needed was proof you knew she existed (':

The Revanchrist

01-30-2013

not to throw a wrench into the discussion, but AFTER the... lets say, top 20 champions get their artwork rework. do you think that it would be plausible to go to every non reworked champion before daruis and add something they all are missing.

thats right, im asking for recall animations.

Thunderqt

01-30-2013

Quote:
IronStylus, I was just wondering if it was your doing that changed the Slay Bell Katarina recall animation from awesome to boring, and if not my apologies, but you should yell at whoever did for me.