Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS14696195e1336cdef530a

01-30-2013

1) Why don't you buff champs who are gonna be remade?
Like give karam some number chances or make heimers E faster or W go for champs, would fix them in their current state a bit and still make space for a remake :P

2) Why is lunar revel so late? (might not be your business ^^) But last year it was 10th January. So does it moves like a month every year ^^ ?

3) Does heimer gets a visual update with his update ? atm he's quite ugly, cant tell if his head is weird brainformed hair where there is a hammer in or just a massive brain with a hammer in :P

4) urgot and his ult (and visual) he's ugly his ult is messed up (why the heck did you place that sort of ult on an adc in the first place ??) and i think he needs some love

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Guilty as charged.
But wasn't the fact that she wears no armor part of her lore? That she trained naked in the snow to make herself "tough" or something odd like that?

Edit: Went to read her lore, "walking out into blizzards without food or furs and training while frigid winds raked her flesh" is mentioned in there, so doesn't that mean that wearing a steel bikini fits into her lore and background? Not saying it's a good point, just that it's a point.

I don't know about anyone else but I like that she's a goofy bikini girl that rides a small, furry pig with horns for ears. If her gameplay was more my style she'd probably be one of my favorite champions.

Severian NA

01-30-2013

Just in case someone is interested, I decided to risk posting about why Karma is important to me, and its going to be a long one. I'm not good at being short, verbally. Mentally might be a different matter Here goes:

(Yes, there is a TL;DR)
When I started league and was looking for champions to play, I looked both for an aesthetic and a character I liked. Leona was the only one that immediately hooked me on every point, kit included, but she was difficult to play, especially with random lane-partners. I didn't properly understand the meta, or really anything at this point. I didn't give her up, but it took some time before I realized that she was every bit as awesome to play as she was in character and image.

Next on the list, I really liked the character and looks of Ahri, but her abilities seemed weak. I resisted the urge to try her just because she was so (forgive me >.<) charming, but eventually I gave in. I was absolutely (sorry :P) entranced. She is my main to this day, and concerning the level of competition she has from the awesomeness of Karma and Leona, that is saying alot...

Yes, I have a point to make. When I eventually managed to play Leona without feeding, and experienced how I could tank an entire team and laugh while my team devastated them, intercepting plays for my carry and stunning the living daylights out of their assassins .. I could go on... I just love the feel of playing her, but it took a little while before I really discovered it. Ahri was almost instant, I just had so much fun with how her character and kit fits perfectly, and how awesome it is when executed well. She is just great fun in her very own way. There are other assasins, but only one Ahri. And there are other tanks and supports, but only one Leona.

Point now incoming:
Karma, I looked at her, and she didn't appeal to me. Not in kit nor in looks. It was several months later when (I can't remember why) I tried her. I'm not sure why I stuck with her either. She was really difficult. I always fumbled, and I had to make all kinds of decisions while frantically trying to save either myself or someone else, or overestimating my survivability, and did I mention fumbling? But when I eventually managed to get into the flow, after innumerable bot games, and dared to step out in normals, it was glorious.

I have never ever experienced people praising me, in caps on both teams, before. Not like that. "Awesome Karma man", "dat Karma". I strongly suspect the reason I got the yellow ribbon, and all the others, is her. I'm not a great player, but I try to be a nice guy. Still, the honour tends to follow both being nice and doing noticeably well. At my level, Karma really shone.

At the same time, I experienced and grew to love everything about her. Her impractical dress, how she walks into battle, how she calmly stands in front of the tower, fanning herself and looking around regally. She feels like inner peace, like iron will. And she can stride into the fray and make that felt to enemy and ally alike. I almost always pick Karma when I feel uncertain about my team, because her calm affects me, and because even if someone disconnects, I can hold a lane against several people. I might not always win, but if the enemy gets cocky, well...

And the feel when someone dives you, and is in for a nasty shock. I even had a shaco ambush me at the enemy outer top turret, and I calmly kited him all the way back to mine. He had to give up, because he was too hurt to dive me (sadly). He ragequit. While immense satisfaction was had by me, of course it was a very bad thing for his team, so I shouldn't feel good about it, I know.

She grew on me, and now I play her whenever I can without hurting my team. Because, while it is true that she requires practice (for most people), it is also true that she is underpowered. Mana issues, cooldowns. Without items she becomes lacking very quickly. But all the builds, oh, the fun. I remember one Lee Sin raging "Who builds Karma as a tank"?! I did, because he wouldnt stop hitting me, and frozen heart is excellent for Karma in certain situations (it is not at all uncommon). Karma has taught me a lot about itemization.

I know that many of these experiences wouldn't have been possible at a higher level of play, where people knew Karma and so forth and so on. But they showed me what Karma can be. That is why I have such high hopes for the rework. Imagine if my Karma becomes even more awesome? And the reason I dread the rework, is because she might not be "my Karma" anymore. Her shield bomb, her baiting potential (due to her passive). The amazing healing you can do if you get fed. I am not good enough to use the beam to its fullest potential, and it rarely gets put to good use by my team, but I like it as well. Practicig the presence of mind required to use it well will benefit me on every other character I play. However, if something has to go, it would be what I miss the least I guess. Though I will miss mantra+beam combined with shield and heal, pulling an overextended ally out of the maw of certain doom. Karma, and all the split second saves I've pulled off (lets forget the ones I failed :P). All the baits I pulled off, to shock and awe (lets forget the ones I miscalculated >.<) and so forth and so on.

Uh. I'll be impressed if someone reads all of this, but I have a few final thoughts I might as well add. I guess this will be my TL;DR

As I posted earlier, I know Riot is doing the best they can, and where the visual remake is concerned, I trust Ironstylus. I might be dissapointed (in the remake as a whole, or in part), but I know it won't be for lack of trying on their part. I have just one last thing to mention. Her original splash art might be lackluster, though it is not all bad. But the chinese splash is just pure awesome. I hope you are using it for inspiration and reference, parrot!

Sorry for ranting like this, I'm suprised at how much my champions mean to me. I play way more than these three (too many). But these are mine. And yes, I hope Karma never gets popular, because she is my Karma, and I will be very upset if someone else picks her over me...

On the topic of popularity, it makes perfect sense for Riot to care for the less popular champions as well. Imagine if we had to worry about which champions we chose to play, because if everyone else didn't, they would be neglected by Riot? That would really hurt LoL.

Also, Morello. "Every single person who likes Karma in NA"? So, in other words, as I think someone counted, all 15 of us?! How rude! XD
I can, also, assure you there is at least one fan from Europe posting here, who even made an account for that sole purpose. *cough*

Oh, and Ironstylus; Don't you DARE make her a dress that isn't impractical!

Again, thanks for caring. Don't neglect too much sleep though. I like you in working order. Karma deserves you at your very best!

GodEmperorLetoII

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
This is normal in development - ideas are worthless, testing and iteration is the work. This takes time and to allow people to be creative, you need to allow them freedom to fail so they can find what's right.

I keep being reinforced that I should never talk about anything that's not locked down, because I always have to clean up the mess on the boards if anything unexpected happens - and game development is a very unexpected job :P
You know, as someone who is very much interested in REAL game design, that's really sad you do keep quiet about such things and almost no post mortems because explaining what went on during the process can be very educational for everyone. For yourself (as I'm sure you know by now) and for those who aspire to be serious game designers/developers. Those who aren't so silly to have this prejudice that it's just coming up with ideas and letting others do the "serious work" or so. Should really at least start doing post mortems (though I guess that's a time issue) on everything possible imo :P

And don't get me wrong, I don't blame you at all for your quietness, I blame the people around here who get way too.. zealous.

Xelesta

01-30-2013

Morello are you aware that pandas have 6 fingers?
Panda annie only have 5 on tibbers

Healurownbum

01-30-2013

Sooooo Karma is probably going to loose the awesome dress and get skanked up.... Pity

Illyaria

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Yi and Sion are definitely on the list (in my mind, Sion is the WORST offender). In this case, how we prioritize has a lot of complexities - specifically for Sion, we also want to fix his gameplay, but we're not doing Sion before we get through Karma, and hopefully Heimer.

So we chose a rework that was art-only. Sivir was a runner-up, but the art team wanted to get Annie done first as it also shows a definition for non-standard age characters in our updated art style - specifically, Annie shows what children look like in League.

As far as art and model tweaks, PLEASE bump Miss Fortune up. Her hair looks matted and her model makes me not even want to play her. I had to buy a skin to make her look better and it still didn't help 100%.

Kamikaze Miko

01-30-2013

As a Karma cosplayer I have faith that you will do her justice. Yes I am afraid of what's to come. And as a person that loves this character to the point to dress as her. I hope and pray you will do her justice. Thank you.

Dreegan

01-30-2013

So... I've been seeing everyone asking about Taric, and talking about Sivir and Twitch and Sion... but doesn't it feel like we're forgetting someone?

What about Master Yi? Another pyramid footed champ who's supposed to be renowned as a total badass sword master... yet holds his sword backwards and runs around like he sat on an upside down barstool. Where's the love for the Dunkmaster?

Adumu

01-30-2013

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Twitch and Evelynn could both use a visual rework too. Not a "drop everything and fix this now" issue, but still. They could use them >_>