Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2013
59 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridos View Post
The way this answer avoids addressing the point she raised about leaving visual styles that appeal to smaller groups intact seems to indicate that you always plan skins and artwork to pander to the majority, without leaving room for minorities. I'm hoping that wasn't what you intended, especially since I too have always appreciated Karma's very clean, stylish, and thematic look.
It doesn't speak to our strategy, but it's important we understand what falls into different types of appeal - such as something being more widely-appealing or something being more niche and specialized. Each data point like this lets us learn beyond our own experiences and get more understanding about players overall.

My stance is still that no champion is for everyone, but every champion is for someone. What I want to avoid is making a champion that's essentially for noone.

The Sound

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
He's a pretty high priority like a lot of champions such as Sivir and Taric. They're screaming for love.
:O

Ironstylus!

Where is Udyr on The List? It would bring me inner peace to know.

EDIT: Or Morello!!!

Scythas

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
It doesn't speak to our strategy, but it's important we understand what falls into different types of appeal - such as something being more widely-appealing or something being more niche and specialized. Each data point like this lets us learn beyond our own experiences and get more understanding about players overall.

My stance is still that no champion is for everyone, but every champion is for someone. What I want to avoid is making a champion that's essentially for noone.
Very nicely put.

Do you believe that Karma needs visual upgrade in terms of her splash art, then?

greed18

01-29-2013

Hey @Morello , thank you for making Zyra man! She's just so fun to play (mid), keep up the good work doug!

Super Explosion

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
He's a pretty high priority like a lot of champions such as Sivir and Taric. They're screaming for love.
Pink Taric better be cataclysmically fabulous.

Henry Plainview

01-29-2013

Morello if Karma is always going to be unpopular, and there are people who like her the way she is, why are you prioritizing it over...well basically anything else?

Torchide

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

I've been reading all of your posts in this thread, but I'm still unclear on one thing. You ARE going to turn Karma into male fanservice despite all of the opinions expressed in this thread because you don't care about the minority, true or false?

Please let it be false.

The Sound

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchide View Post
I've been reading all of your posts in this thread, but I'm still unclear on one thing. You ARE going to turn Karma into male fanservice despite all of the opinions expressed in this thread because you don't care about the minority, true or false?

Please let it be false.
Loving the straw man arguments.

EDIT: Why the downvotes? Show me the quote where Morello says "We are going to turn Karma into male fanservice."

Super Explosion

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchide View Post

Please let it be false.
To be honest, they most likely will keep Karma as having a regal air of untouchability and dispassionate resolute rulership.

Since that is pretty much a large part of her 'niche'.

They don't want every champion to have the same dimensions of attractiveness, or people will start to find them dull. Every male champion shouldn't look like Lee Sin.

Torchide

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sound View Post
Loving the straw man arguments.
That's unfortunately the way I see it.

I've been a player since mid-Season 1 and although I'm not particularly a Karma fan, this is the first time I've been this genuinely confused about a decision. I'm not a huge fan of the Annie rework - I preferred the cute little girl and the demon bear to the preteen thing with the giant yorkshire terrier - but I can see why they did it and their intention behind doing it, and I feel as I'd do the same in their position.

I also understand their study of player response to champion aesthetics (although I was around for the League of Release!Orianna). I'd understand if all the champions they released from now were MF-esque hookers. However, that's no reason to go back and change something that was already very well done for reasons that have been well explained earlier in this thread.

I respect Riot for putting their attention into Karma, who is quite frankly a lost cause even after the rework - their energies could easily be focused elsewhere, creating new champions that work well with the new meta, rather than fixing old ones who will likely have a hard time becoming picked up again.

Maybe I'm just bitter about not being able to apply for an internship. Maybe not.