Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Swarm of Koala

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think it is since we're really doing our homework - but PFE, Blood Lord Vladimir, Demonblade Tryndamere are representative of methods we have that we can predictably meet expectations. If we don't, then that's a learning point (and if it fails, then doesn't meet the goals, and doesn't "count" imo). I think I even threw a couple examples out to show that this is something we do understand, but haven't always factored into our planning well enough.

Not 100% of people will like the decision, but the good news is that having that skin complete frees us up to explore more crazy ideas. I'm 10x more interested in a "funny" Ezreal or Vlad skin now that we have good core skins for them, and I think players will judge the skin on its own merits as opposed to feeling the pain of what they're missing.
What about those rare cases when it's virtually impossible to beat the "silly skin"? Definitely not Blitzcrank and Pink Taric come to mind.

SlumlordThanatos

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Eleven View Post
Are you saying the skin animations are clunky? Or that it doesn't represent her old clunky animations? Because in-game i think they are among the smoothest animations I've seen.

I think a lot of the negativity comes form bad screen caps pushed onto youtube and not actual exposure. I can't see how'd you'd possibly call it clunky.
Ever see AW Kayle in the hands of a high elo player? All the erratic movement just throws it off, especially when CSing.

When she's moving in the same direction, without making snap 180 turns, she's as smooth as can be. It's when the action heats up, when she actually starts to move and fight, is where she gets to be a bit jarring.

TheMountainGoat

01-29-2013

Quote:
Then why start a conversation at all? I'm not going to to poop a good Lux skin out on command.
why not, that seems to be the method you guys used to make all of her other skins.

Severian NA

01-29-2013

Quote:
This is normal in development - ideas are worthless, testing and iteration is the work. This takes time and to allow people to be creative, you need to allow them freedom to fail so they can find what's right.

I keep being reinforced that I should never talk about anything that's not locked down, because I always have to clean up the mess on the boards if anything unexpected happens - and game development is a very unexpected job :P
I get this, however, it is so much better to have a vague ETA, when you are really looking forward to (and dreading) something like this. I have no trouble understanding what you are saying about game development, not to mention, if someone says "hope January" it is downright silly to go "OMG YUO PROMIESEED!!!1111".
But I guess that is how it goes, so I'd like to say; Thank you for the info, it is really appreciated for us who love Karma and have a lot of emotional investment in the rework. I've had many epic gaming moments with her (at my low level of play), and those moments are unique to her kit, if you see what I mean. All my favourites have a certain feel to them which makes them appeal to me (Ahri and Leona are the other two). I really hope she doesn't change too much, but whatever happens I appreciate the effort you are making. It is much better to be disappointed knowing you did the best job you could, and that you care, than feeling slighted

*cough* Feel free to keep us updated however you can.

SlVIR

01-29-2013

while were on the subject morello on a scale of 1-10 how handsome is jayce

IS190a343afaab43d4bb6f0

01-29-2013

I hear a lot about "triangle feet" or "elephant feet" complaints on the forums. Does the original modeler that made the early champions still work at Riot, and if so, how does he feel about those complaints?

oddish33

01-29-2013

Wait, what new direction is the karma rework heading? Any hints at all?

Wightraven

01-29-2013

Surprised to hear you say that Twitch is one of the most aesthetically unpleasing champions in the game. He looks a little... odd. But for a magically mutated rat-man I think he looks about spot-on. His odd look helps his textures and polygons not clash so badly with current champions like Taric or Sivir do with Darius and Vi.

... and of course, as someone who was a Twitch main before his rework it makes me nervous. Twitch's unique feel already took such a blow between his rework and the third season (I feel he's much more capable of a reasonable measure of his old scouting with the new items and movespeed rules, etc. etc.) and I'm kind of worried what direction Riot plans on taking him. Is he going to become this massive Master Splinter type rat-man like in the Chinese artwork? That might be OK, but at that point I don't think his appearance matches his voice and attitude very well. Are you just improving on the current weird-ass shapes he has? An odd choice for an entire rework but it helps retain his character and that's important. It's such a nebulous situation and unlike Sion and Sivir (who I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with) you really let me down with him once already. I'm scared I'll get burned again and once more cry "WHYYYY!?!?!" unto the heavens about a SECOND rework I dislike for a champion I once loved.

Schwalbenschwanz

01-29-2013

I guess I'm being obnoxious but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwalbenschwanz View Post
Why can't we get Taric soon? This poll clearly shows that more people would have wanted a Taric visual rework than an Annie visual rework.
His model is smaller than Ezreal. His color scheme in his classic skin is a horrible MSPaint Cyan mixed with some grey. His face looks terribly deformed! His feet are 2009-style triangles, and most of his skins are only recolored! There is little to no love shown in Taric.

I understand that he's probably one of the most detailed champions (look at all these GEMS) by design and thus a lot of work has to be thrown in, but just imagine a completely beautiful and dazzling completely visually reworked Taric. If he's not in the Top 5 list, we can't expect him being there this year, right?

On a side note, I actually thought it would be done early enough to start my cosplay for gamescom this year, but I guess not. Guess I somehow need to manage floating hair with it until August

SIowbro

Recruiter

01-29-2013

When will my Karma get something that's not ugly? o: