Did Annie's visual rework surprise you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leo the yordle

01-29-2013

Since you're in the neighborhood Morello....

....has there been any talk about Tristana that you can share?

Abbx

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No - Norse King just needs more work overall. I think this is a good example of where we should have prioritized better though.
Does this mean he was not scrapped because of Bioforge and because of something else, or he is not scrapped? I couldn't tell.

SlVIR

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the yordle View Post
Since you're in the neighborhood Morello....

....has there been any talk about Tristana that you can share?
trist is fine wtf

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

How's the heimer rework coming?

He's a champ I'm a bit nostalgic for as he was one of the champs when I first played I used a lot but didn't buy because he was always on free week. I finally got around to buying him but I can't really play him outside of bot games or aram.

Punish This Hole

01-29-2013

Will poppy get a visual rework...I mean just look at her *shudders*

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2013
36 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwingley View Post
Morello: Speaking to the idea of there being a One True Skin (sorry for this language, I can't work in The Skin in an appropriate way right here, although that's what I'm gonna use for the rest of this post) for a given champion, and using PFE as the poster child for this, do you feel it's realistic to expect you can find that same The Skin idea again for future champions?

I'm not really asking if you're gonna eventually kit every champion out with a skin that cranks their original concept to 11, just if you think it's realistic to repeatedly hit that sweet spot and have it be as well-received as PFE was. And if it isn't as well-received as PFE despite Riot thinking it's The Skin for that champion, what are you going to do?

My last question/request/suggestion/whatever is that you (not necessarily just you, Morello, but the popular reds who get all the @posts about stuff like this) try and communicate with the community in a more organized way. I love the heck out of the fact that you guys are so vocal and opinionated and real, but the red tracker leaves something to be desired in terms of going back and fishing up responses about champions and other discussions that are weeks/months old. I think a thread like the one Ezreal keeps would be a step towards this, but just trying to tie everything together in some way would be great (I can't believe I'm almost asking for a blog, here). If I had the time, I'd try to put together an index of this stuff myself.

Sorry for the long-winded and roundabout post. :X
I think it is since we're really doing our homework - but PFE, Blood Lord Vladimir, Demonblade Tryndamere are representative of methods we have that we can predictably meet expectations. If we don't, then that's a learning point (and if it fails, then doesn't meet the goals, and doesn't "count" imo). I think I even threw a couple examples out to show that this is something we do understand, but haven't always factored into our planning well enough.

Not 100% of people will like the decision, but the good news is that having that skin complete frees us up to explore more crazy ideas. I'm 10x more interested in a "funny" Ezreal or Vlad skin now that we have good core skins for them, and I think players will judge the skin on its own merits as opposed to feeling the pain of what they're missing.

The MechE

01-29-2013

Quote:
Sorry to hear that - that is disappointing when that happens. Have you actually played with it with the VO lines, animations, etc, or did you look at a screenshot?

I do feel that your view is a great minority here, but that's not much consolation when you're that person :P Though it's true that reworking anything will be met with some unhappiness, I'd just like to minimize that.
I think the rework works really well with Annie, but why don't you guys use the Chinese art for Annie? Is it just not as popular? Is it maybe because the new art fits her more thematically than the Chinese art does?

Grand Eleven

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
It's called "feedback." It is our responsibility to tell Riot when there is something we don't like. If we don't, how else would they improve?

People brought up valid complaints with her, like how she's lacking her trademark armor and her overall clunky feeling. Don't get me wrong, the skin looks pretty slick. It's just (in my opinion) not as good as I feel a legendary skin should be.
Are you saying the skin animations are clunky? Or that it doesn't represent her old clunky animations? Because in-game i think they are among the smoothest animations I've seen.

I think a lot of the negativity comes form bad screen caps pushed onto youtube and not actual exposure. I can't see how'd you'd possibly call it clunky.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2013
37 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Typically, reworks are accompanied by a new skin (and if not right away, shortly after). Many of the champions that need skins badly are getting visual reworks also, preventing us from making the new skin until that's completed.

Nidalee and Soraka are getting new skins in the immediate future, they were just delayed to improve them a bit.
Need to amend this - we chose to do this in a few specific cases, but this is not a "rule", especially as we can't keep that cadence with skins as we speed up reworks. Adding to original post.

AkenoSato

01-29-2013

I don't like how it sounds like Tibbers is molesting Annie. -_-