Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mac PBE vs Bootcamp

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mokkun

01-26-2013

So, I've been running LoL primarily on a Bootcamp partition, especially in S3.
I've had a copy of iLoL for awhile, but S3 seems to have been very unkind to it.

Big thing I noticed, the FPS issues that I thought had to do with iLoL are apparently not, or at least not completely. (iLoL still runs slightly worse, but only slightly.)

On the same computer, the FPS is difference is pretty insane.

Bootcamp I run High Char, medium effects/environment, and no shadows. 1600-1024 resolution. I run at an average of 30 fps, with swings from 19-49 at the extremes.

PBE client. I run High Char, low effects/environment, no shadows, and 1024-768 and I average 25 on a low activity area, and bounce between 15-30. The creepwave can quickly drop me under 20. If I run my game at much higher settings or resolution it quickly deteriorates to a laggy unplayable mess.

On the other hand. Unlike iLoL, I can actually ping the minimap. Self cast works (all be it with the issues that self cast has on windows too for randomly needing multiple key inputs) and I don't have to open and confirm the interface to clear glitchy junk off my screen.

I just don't understand why the graphics should be so much different for 2 sides of the same computer.

For what it may apply to:

3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
8GB

NVIDIA GeForce 9400

~edit I am very sad that Command-M does not work to window mode the game.

IS1d362f56bb4c17

01-26-2013

Hm ... I got 60 fps on bootcamp, running low settings and it gets down to 25 in some teamfights.
On Mac OSX I play with 50fps on slightly higher settings, so pretty much the same, but it's way more stable then on my Windows Client.
And I think it is more responsive then on Win7.
Don't know if it's just me, but playing on PBE is way easier with Mac- then with Windows-client(consider my 180 ping)

SpeakEasy V

01-26-2013

I've been playing LoL on my bootcamp partition. all settings on HIGH with 60+ FPS (I turned off vertical sync to allow higher frame rates. I generally run 74+ with VS off). I never did run iLoL though.

I'm running the following machine:

MacBook Pro
Retina, Mid 2012
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3012)

Mokkun

01-26-2013

I guess my real point is that for some reason, though it's the same computer with the same hardware, the windows version of LoL that I'm running on my Bootcamp, works significantly better than the new Mac LoL client.

Ryrok

01-26-2013

Quote:
Mokkun:
I guess my real point is that for some reason, though it's the same computer with the same hardware, the windows version of LoL that I'm running on my Bootcamp, works significantly better than the new Mac LoL client.

FWIW, this might have something to do with the video card drivers for each platform and not so much with LoL's code--I notice the same problems with World of Warcraft and Civ 5. I think the key is to make sure it's as close as possible.

MrBlitzMagikk

01-26-2013

Im playing on my Retina Macbook Pro running windows 7 professional 32 bit via bootcamp and the game runs smoothly and only drops 3-4 fps when temperature of the machine rises.
specs:
2.3ghz intel core i7 3615qm
8gb 1600mhz RAM
Nvidia GT 650m

ranger052

01-27-2013

Quote:
GamerEMV:
I've been playing LoL on my bootcamp partition. all settings on HIGH with 60+ FPS (I turned off vertical sync to allow higher frame rates. I generally run 74+ with VS off). I never did run iLoL though.

I'm running the following machine:

MacBook Pro
Retina, Mid 2012
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3012)

I think you forgot something

I am using the exact same Macbook Pro and our mac has a Nvidia GT650 1G of memory

and btw I do also play with all the settings at max

PeachyMann

01-27-2013

I'm running a retina macbook pro with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

2.6 GHz core i7
8GM RAM
GT 650M 1GB VRAM

I play both windows and mac with all setting on very high except shadows (low). Vsync on. In windows I play at 1920x1200 and mac i play 1650x1050. I get about I get about 45-55 fps in windows and 40-50 fps in mac.

Topher84

01-27-2013

I'm running on a 2011 15" macbook pro and if I don't limit fps to VSYNC, I get over 100 fps (1440x960 i believe). The settings are set to high and I turned shadows to medium. I don't see a huge difference at all (my opinion) from high->very high so I just turn it down for the boost.

Tim55253

01-27-2013

I also have the retina display model. And strangely, it runs alot smoother than when Im using bootcamp. Getting consistant 60 FPS with everything on high other than shadows, and not many noticeable drops.