Why do you think the lore is so underwhelming?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SchierkeWiking

01-26-2013

At least compared to the other aspects of the game. It's clear that it's not Riot priority and they won't spend much money on it since it basically gives them no return.

But I feel that even with only 2 talented and motivated people dedicated to the lore we should be getting more and better content.

I wonder if they simply don't have anyone dedicated to the lore and instead a few people taking some time of other projects to deal with it. That could explain the issue.

Razor wiind

01-26-2013

Well, Riot is being kinda stupid if they think the lore is not a profitable working. Just see World of Warcraft/Assassin's Creed books or even the profit they get with an "lored" skin.

I'm having a kind of blind faith in what they said (2013 would be a great year for the lore lovers) but what kills me is the suspence behind it - yes, I DO NOT believe they're not working on anything. I would bet my "E/R" finger that they're just going to explode lore in our faces one of these days)

Managable

01-26-2013

Yeah ^ I bought Pre-void kassadin and Sakura Karma, BECAUSE of the lore. My other skins are just vanity, which is sad because I love the lore.

Cerubois

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor wiind View Post
I would bet my "E/R" finger that they're just going to explode lore in our faces one of these days
I think this is exactly the thing that I would hate. :/

I don't want a blast of new-and-improved information that's going to replace the old stuff. If they're going to make major changes (which they've implied they're doing), I'd much rather see the process of it.

The thought of "Surprise!!! The League doesn't actually do much anymore!!! Time for Total World War YAY!!!!!!" frightens me to no end. -.-

Montesque64

01-27-2013

I actually had a good conversation about my views on this topic recently in this very forum. Come contribute to the discussion!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3032663

KuzAnn

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
I think this is exactly the thing that I would hate. :/

I don't want a blast of new-and-improved information that's going to replace the old stuff. If they're going to make major changes (which they've implied they're doing), I'd much rather see the process of it.

The thought of "Surprise!!! The League doesn't actually do much anymore!!! Time for Total World War YAY!!!!!!" frightens me to no end. -.-
Yeah I'm worried about the total war and making the League totally worthless bit, too. Especially when there's all sorts of awesome conflict to be had from outside Valoran:

Kayle pledged herself to the League to give her people more time to figure out how to counteract the summoners' magic, so what do you suppose will happen when they do? They're not just gonna sit around quietly, they're gonna get vengeance on those annoying meddling summoners for what they did. Que invasion of a legion of winged harbringers from the sky, and the Angel War, or whatever you'd like to call it. The bios for Kayle and Morganna give us a great opportunity for large-scale conflict that effects everyone in Valoran.

Nasus and Renekton were implied to be high-ranking members of their society, so what will said society do when such important figures suddenly disappear? Well they're gonna look for them, of course. If they're anywhere near as advanced in their magic as the summoners of Valoran are, they're going to find out and see Renekton and Nasus fihting each other in teh League. And what does the League look like without the proper context? Slavery for mass entertainment. Yeah, I don't think they'll be too happy about that...

We also have the completely unexplored other continents of Runeterra where threats could come from. We know there are others because Lokfar exists.

These are just a few options for conflict that don't involve downplaying the League. In fact, the League would probably be more effective than warring city-states since they may be able to get them to cooperate and repell said threats.

Birdy51

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzAnn View Post
Yeah I'm worried about the total war and making the League totally worthless bit, too. Especially when there's all sorts of awesome conflict to be had from outside Valoran:

Kayle pledged herself to the League to give her people more time to figure out how to counteract the summoners' magic, so what do you suppose will happen when they do? They're not just gonna sit around quietly, they're gonna get vengeance on those annoying meddling summoners for what they did. Que invasion of a legion of winged harbringers from the sky, and the Angel War, or whatever you'd like to call it. The bios for Kayle and Morganna give us a great opportunity for large-scale conflict that effects everyone in Valoran.

Nasus and Renekton were implied to be high-ranking members of their society, so what will said society do when such important figures suddenly disappear? Well they're gonna look for them, of course. If they're anywhere near as advanced in their magic as the summoners of Valoran are, they're going to find out and see Renekton and Nasus fihting each other in teh League. And what does the League look like without the proper context? Slavery for mass entertainment. Yeah, I don't think they'll be too happy about that...

We also have the completely unexplored other continents of Runeterra where threats could come from. We know there are others because Lokfar exists.

These are just a few options for conflict that don't involve downplaying the League. In fact, the League would probably be more effective than warring city-states since they may be able to get them to cooperate and repell said threats.
You know, your argument brings up an interesting question. How are their respective home planets doing? We know Taric misses his home, but does his home miss Taric?

Further, would they have the capacity to communicate with Runeterra by their own accord? I think it's an interesting vein of possiblities that haven't been explored yet. We can guess that they were summoned from their homes because the League needed champions, but now at there are so many others.

KuzAnn

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy51 View Post
You know, your argument brings up an interesting question. How are their respective home planets doing? We know Taric misses his home, but does his home miss Taric?

Further, would they have the capacity to communicate with Runeterra by their own accord? I think it's an interesting vein of possiblities that haven't been explored yet. We can guess that they were summoned from their homes because the League needed champions, but now at there are so many others.
I really think they should be exploing those points. You get the opportunity to have such epic conflict, possibly Valoran vs another planet altogether, and it also gives Riot room to add some epic new stuff with lore attached, like new maps, new champs, new skins, etc. I'd be way more likely to buy a skin or a champion if they were deeply tied into an event like that. Heck, they could even make comics or animations following certain champs though huge events like that, it would be awesome.