Is AP Yi overpowered

Yes 68 52.71%
No 61 47.29%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

AP Yi is broken

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cybroxis

01-25-2013

Hi, I'm just posting this thread because in the last 20 games I've encountered at least 10 ap yi's, who end up dominating whatever game they are playing, whether it be top, mid, jungle, or support ap yi, they seem to be popping up like weeds. I can see why there would be so many, considering that with a single needlessly large rod, they can do 500 magic damage early in the game to 4 targets. But even this is not the issue, as by far the most overpowered and annoying aspect of the ap yi is his heal - so long as he has enough mana, whether ignited or otherwise, he can heal up to full hp in a matter of 3 seconds, healing many hundreds even at low levels. This completely shuts out the lane for the other player, making it extremely skewed in favor of this gamebreaking playstyle. But by far the worst part about this is that I don't believe this is how Yi was intended to be played - in fact, I remember back in the changes to his ultimate in lowering the cd that the purpose was to allow him to get back to "what made Master Yi himself." He was meant to be an assassin, with the q ability allowing him to get close to his target so he could chase them down, then finish them off with the extra attack speed. And yet, now it seems that LoL players have abused his ap ratios to an embarrasing point - in fact, I remember the last AP Yi I played against commenting he "never lost a game mid. Ever," that he always "shut them out."

I believe that although not meant to be played completely AP, it would still be fine if only the ratio's for his heal and q weren't so extremely extraordinarily high. Please, Riot, fix this problem, this plague that is affecting the League of Legends community.

EXTRA Celebrity Evidence: Dan Dinh would agree with me

Cybroxis

01-25-2013

What I'm trying to say is, I never ever see a Yi that is played AD any longer, because this method is just so op and the laning phase is so safe and easy to dominate with (he uses his q on a minion, granting him quick cs and also harrassing the enemy player without having to engage). At least make them equally appealing, because this method is overused and overpowered.

TealNinje

01-25-2013

I play against AP Yi's.

I destroy said AP Yi's.

One trick ponies often have very simple and very effective methods to counter them.

Nightlynx

01-25-2013

I'm not sure why Rengar was gutted because he could be played AP other then AD for huge burst and healing, but Yi can still remain what he is.

Both yi and rengar were not designed for dual purposes.
Both yi and rengar are 1 skill wonders with AP (before the ap ratio nerf)
Both yi and rengar's ap burst are/could be chained to their gap closer

They are not OP, but maybe Riot should at least try for some form of consistency...

Well, maybe it's because rengar have some form of utility, but...

KaitoKun

01-25-2013

i dont think he's op. Maybe if you're playing blind and your team happens to not have anyone who can counter ap yi. His q can be avoided by just anticipating when he's about to use it. His heal can be stopped by soo many things, silence, knockbacks, stuns, etc ... and there are soo many champs who can do that, riven garen leblanc veigar, ashe,jayce.

Gurtruck

Recruiter

01-26-2013

AP Yi's getting nerfed on the PBE. Chill.

TheSalmonOfDoubt

01-26-2013

The main problem I think is how easy it is for him to farm minions, by level 6 or so he can easily kill 4 minions per Q and then just run away, rinse, repeat; which is something most champions can't do until the very high levels. This means he gets a lot of gold early on to give him yet more AP until he deals half your health in damage with a single Q. To be fair though this doesn't seem to pay off late game when his only real source of damage is a single ability. Despite this later uselessness, he has still severely damaged the other team by ensuring his enemies in lane are underfed.

Cybroxis

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtruck View Post
AP Yi's getting nerfed on the PBE. Chill.
DETAILS MY GOOD MAN, DETAILS

Oh and thank you for bringing this information
HALLELUJAH

Cybroxis

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalmonOfDoubt View Post
The main problem I think is how easy it is for him to farm minions, by level 6 or so he can easily kill 4 minions per Q and then just run away, rinse, repeat; which is something most champions can't do until the very high levels. This means he gets a lot of gold early on to give him yet more AP until he deals half your health in damage with a single Q. To be fair though this doesn't seem to pay off late game when his only real source of damage is a single ability. Despite this later uselessness, he has still severely damaged the other team by ensuring his enemies in lane are underfed.
Yes the main problem I've seen is that with his extremely safe and lucrative laning phase, he can then go to gank other lanes and get extremely easy kills with his q, healing up his entire health with w when tower diving, and then following/escaping (again easily) with his ult.

Bürnĝut

01-26-2013

AP yi is not that overpowered you simply need to counter him like any other champ every champ has their weaknesses for example Fizz owns ap yi every time as Playful/trickster and dodge alpha strike
Fiddlesticks counters yi with his silence/fear

I hear a lot of qq about him lately and im not sure why just a little bit of cc(doesnt take much) and hes dead in 2seconds