So, why is AD Thresh the only way?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArchangelGabrieI

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
This will probably get better as more people get used to playing with and against him - he's still a very new champion, and very few people, especially at the more crowded elos near the middle and bottom, understand his kit yet.

Take me, for example - I was under the impression that his passive stacked AP, not AD.

Edit - From the post where Thresh's abilities were revealed:

Unless this is incorrect, I don't understand why people would be building him AD...
um lets see the 1 game I played him i built him as an ad bruiser and end game I had like over 150 souls so thats like 120 armor or so + all AD + Ias items i was untouchable Grab with the chain pull urself on them ult + frozen mallet u can drop a whole team in seconds by urself I took out a 3v1 with ease literal ease

ArchangelGabrieI

01-27-2013

You every try a Hydra on someone like him? I was wondering is his auto attack ranged or melee? its quite confusing Idk if he can use hydra since he is throwing a chain?

ArchangelGabrieI

01-27-2013

Lol he rapes Ad and Ap I tried him full ap and the ult was doing 1.4k intital dmg then 700 on each of the other walls = a gg team buster

Bad Player

01-27-2013

I feel like building AD on him is silly. Thresh is not an AD caster, which means you are going to want to deal damage with your autoattacks. (Your abilities are for utility.) The whole idea behind AD Thresh is to use the damage from Q passive... which builds up over time. So you want to autoattack, in order to actually deal damage, but don't want to autoattack in order to build up Q damage.

Kystys

01-27-2013

So...what exactly is a 'bruiser' playstyle anyway? As I still can't comprehend how it really helps with Thresh, especially if it makes him go AD.

Kalm

01-28-2013

why ad thresh kinda works imo.

last hitting:
* thresh's Q passive makes it fail-proof to last hit.
* range is adequate at 475. ( compare using http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Range )
* animation is super-crisp

damage:
* passive can hit real hard as souls are gathered. Another thread here has started a tally of souls collected by players. So far the average is 69 souls by 20mins. ( having 10 souls gives you 10 extra dmg. That's 400g worth of dmg you have in lane before you've even gone back )
* damage is magical
* consistent because of his ability to stick onto targets ( hook, 40% slow )

survivability
* armor passive ( perfect for bot lane and top )
* damage mitigation through W shield
* knockback / 40% maxed slow
* ultimate is dmg + slow

Now I'm not even saying he's on par with the other ad carries. An ezreal may be survive in some situations thresh would not and we all know some of the hyper carries are untouchable in terms of damage output. But also consider this for a second. What if he wins in bot lane and gets ahead of that kog or vayne bot? Comparing ad carries at max potential is important but remember that isn't always going to happen.

But he does have qualities that allow him to fill in these roles other than support.

As for the bruiser playstyle, well it's about sacrificing high consistent damage or burst damage for consistent damage that's hard to shut down. Thresh has some tanky qualities that allow for this. Combine the armor gain from his passive and the high magical damage poke he's applying at top and you can see why he's being played up there.

I personally have yet to try him as an ad bottom because the support role is super fun. But with all the people trying him out ad

Kavrae

01-28-2013

So far I've been going with a tanky support build. Merc Treats + Philos + Ruby Sightstone + Runic + Zeke is my usual ending build. (realistically you're not going to have a full 6-finished-item build)

Valor And Quinn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

I build him tanky AP.
Ice borne > abysall > warmogs
Are main items
Chalice is pretty good, I seraphs sounds good but I haven't tried it

iRage Hard Sorry

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KE View Post
Lol. Not sure why you would build Thresh AD, as all of his abilities scale of AP.
Okay to clear things up for people, like this fine person, about why AD thresh is viable.
His passive will pick up orbs which give him AP. So why build him AD? His Q makes it so there is a minimum set damage at which all of his basic attacks do damage. When his Q is max stacks you can hit them for massive damage mid game (like an extra 500) then Q pull them which RESETS the stacks. Then massive damage again then boom, about 1000 extra damage. So because his Q gains damage off of AP this means his auto attacks gain damage off of AP. So the orbs he picks up count towards his AA damage. With some good attack speed items his damage is amazing, while he is still a CC machine. With an IE and some AS he can easily be an ADC.

Kalm

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRage Hard Sorry View Post
When his Q is max stacks you can hit them for massive damage mid game (like an extra 500) then Q pull them which RESETS the stacks.
wha-what? I'm gonna have to try this out as I haven't observed it yet.