Do I suck or is it something else? What can I do?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

huffmuffin9

09-29-2013

Okay, so I'm not in ranked yet, but I'm at about level 28. I've been looking at my win to loss ratio and well.. It's not very good. I lose a lot more than I win. The problem is... I don't know the problem. At this moment it's 4:9. People say if you're an average player you can win 50% of your games... and I don't. This being said, I don't feel like I'm that bad of a player. I know I make mistakes, but overall I feel like my performance isn't terrible.
I main support. My main champions are Leona and Sona, although I've started playing a lot more Taric. I have experience with almost every conventional support and a lot of non-conventional ones (so I kind of know what the enemy support can do). Most of the time I ask my carry in queue what kind of lane they are looking for (passive or aggressive) and keep their personal laning preference and champion pick in mind when choosing my own champion.
I keep our tribush or halfway between dragon and our lane warded at almost all times, and when I don't I let my carry know I have run out and we need to be careful until I back. And in that case I usually will ask my other teammates in all chat to be a bit more vigilant with their MIAs until I can get it warded. When I'm alone in lane I tower hug and play defensively. I will ping other lanes when I know someone is coming there way. I protect my carry, either with CCs, heals, or by sacrificing myself if I have to. I am almost always there in team fights and I let my team know when my ult is up (well, depending on the champion and the frequency of fights).
I guess my main point is... I want to be better, but I don't know what I need to improve on. And I don't feel like that win rate accurately reflects my ability. But I really don't know. Does anyone have any tips/advice for me to improve? Or thought on whether the win rate actually reflects your ability?
P.S. Please no "Yeah you just suck" replies. I don't mind someone telling me I suck, but at least offer some constructive criticism so I can get better

paShadoWn

09-29-2013

First off, get your definitions right. 'This' http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com...s/vampires.jpg is "suck". You just fail.

Next, congratulations. You have fallen victim to the support meta. You ward, right? And dont farm, right? And buy **** items? And is generally a waste of a slot on your team? Think on it. If you still can.

huffmuffin9

09-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paShadoWn View Post
First off, get your definitions right. 'This' *******http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com...es.jpg******** is "suck". You just fail.

Next, congratulations. You have fallen victim to the support meta. You ward, right? And dont farm, right? And buy **** items? And is generally a waste of a slot on your team? Think on it. If you still can.
The link didn't work.... Are you basically saying that having a support is a wasted team member? Or am I misinterpreting you?

paShadoWn

09-29-2013

I have corrected the link. And from it have learned that you are stupid enough to not be able to do it yourself. Buut... you know "misinterpreting". So: you 'do' what i wrote. And that is called "support".
Hint hint: you can do something 'else'.
Second hint: but if you just go another role someone else will be the waste of slot.
Got any glimpses of understanding yet?

huffmuffin9

09-29-2013

Quote:
I have corrected the link. And from it have learned that you are stupid enough to not be able to do it yourself. Buut... you know "misinterpreting". So: you 'do' what i wrote. And that is called "support".
Hint hint: you can do something 'else'.
Second hint: but if you just go another role someone else will be the waste of slot.
Got any glimpses of understanding yet?
Kind of. You're telling me to do something in the support role I'm not already doing but giving no indication of what it actually is. I'm willing to try anything and do things I'm not already doing, I just don't know what to do.

paShadoWn

09-29-2013

Good, good. Let us discuss the definition of "support" then. Write me that definition: what is the role of support?

huffmuffin9

09-29-2013

Quote:
Good, good. Let us discuss the definition of "support" then. Write me that definition: what is the role of support?
A support is a champion paired with the ADC who is able to do something for them in order for them to have a successful early game and get the items they need to scale into late game. They are also supposed to try and keep the enemy ADC from doing this. They need to be able to do relatively well with little to no gold.

paShadoWn

09-29-2013

That is the definition narrowed to the current meta. The wider definition would be "a champion kitted to compensate for weaknesses of other champions and provide to them various asistance". Name me the typical weaknesses champions have. And types of assistance you can think of.

Melvear

09-29-2013

As a rule of thumb, disregard anything paShadoWn says. He's the very definition of a troll.

Now, as far as supports go, part of the role is warding, but you're also a play maker. What I mean by this is you need to be there for your adc if he gets harassed, and try to turn the situation around to your advantage. Part of this is done by harassing the enemies yourself (much easier if you are ranged) and using your CC to enable your adc's harass.

Later in the game, you need to assess who needs to be CC'd and when, and who needs to be saved. You'll want to save a hard cc for an ulting Kat for instance, and not burn it early on the initiater, or use a heal on your ap carry or adc if you know it'll allow them to get a kill or save their butt.

Sometimes though, you'll be paired with a terrible adc, and there's not much you can do in this case except hope your other lanes do well, and from there support them instead of the adc come mid-late game.

huffmuffin9

09-29-2013

Quote:
That is the definition narrowed to the current meta. The wider definition would be "a champion kitted to compensate for weaknesses of other champions and provide to them various asistance". Name me the typical weaknesses champions have. And types of assistance you can think of.
Well, it's really champion dependent. Some champions lack an escape. Some champions are squishy. Some champions have the damage output, but they have no way of keeping an enemy near them long enough to make the damage output matter. Some champions have great CC, but little damage to follow up. Melee champions are generally threatened by ranged champions because they can poked down. It also depends on the enemy composition. Not having anything that can interrupt a channeled ability isn't a problem if they have no one who channels, but if their entire team has channeled abilities then not having anything to interrupt that would be a big weakness.

Assistance can be well.... anything. Depends on who you are and who you're with. Assistance could just be having that extra damage to poke at them. Assistance could be shielding them. It could be giving them armor buffs or attack speed buffs. It could just be something as simple as your presence makes them a less appealing target to be killed. Assistance could be CC to help them get away or help to secure a kill.