Changing the BFT recipe seems like a really inelegant solution to the problem.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

GP5 items are already a bit of a waste on dominion because game times are shorter and you're unlikely to get returns on your investment even if you start with the item. But the fiendish codex is even weirder. It just seems like the fiendish codex has been crammed in there when it didn't really need to be. BFT has one of the clunkiest recipes in the game now, and I can't really see any particularly great synergy between the component items. If a component is there solely to prevent a certain class of characters using the item, there's a problem.

I can sort of see why they've done this, to make BFT a more late game item so that it's a counter to high health like it's supposed to be, but the real punishment should be that the item shouldn't be all that effective on low health teams, making the investment a waste. If I buy liandry's as a first item on SR, I'm gimping my own effectiveness because I wasted money on a passive that's only going to be useful when my enemies have gotten high HP later on in the game. The same should hold true for BFT. The way to punish buying it too early should be that it's not going to be too effective against low health teams, not by making the recipe bloated.

Eyemite

01-25-2013

While the passive is nice, the overall item stats are great at all points during the game for most mages. In a game where you may only get 2 items after boots finished, this is a solid choice in my experience. If anything the added 20 cdr is making me rethink some rune pages which opens up more possibilites.

Redeemed In Fire

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
GP5 items are already a bit of a waste on dominion because game times are shorter and you're unlikely to get returns on your investment even if you start with the item. But the fiendish codex is even weirder. It just seems like the fiendish codex has been crammed in there when it didn't really need to be. BFT has one of the clunkiest recipes in the game now, and I can't really see any particularly great synergy between the component items. If a component is there solely to prevent a certain class of characters using the item, there's a problem.

I can sort of see why they've done this, to make BFT a more late game item so that it's a counter to high health like it's supposed to be, but the real punishment should be that the item shouldn't be all that effective on low health teams, making the investment a waste. If I buy liandry's as a first item on SR, I'm gimping my own effectiveness because I wasted money on a passive that's only going to be useful when my enemies have gotten high HP later on in the game. The same should hold true for BFT. The way to punish buying it too early should be that it's not going to be too effective against low health teams, not by making the recipe bloated.
As I keep saying, the problem with BFT just before the fiendish codex was that it gave so many stats casters wanted and was in the perfect price range for said casters. It was a waste not to get it because you always wanted everything it gave you. The passive is and was only ever strong on a few champions who can keep it procced for a long time.

cocacolalips

01-26-2013

Xypherous addressed it a few days ago.

Fiendish Codex is losing the MP5 next patch, so are all the upgrades.

And BFT is strong because mages suck on this map.

konfetarius

01-26-2013

I must say, not a fan of the mana being removed from BFT. It benefits manaless casters, yes, but it also probably damages late game build for bot lane casters who need the MP/5 and slot efficiency to be able to compete there.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolalips View Post
Xypherous addressed it a few days ago.

Fiendish Codex is losing the MP5 next patch, so are all the upgrades.

And BFT is strong because mages suck on this map.
But I thought one of the reasons the recipe was changed to include fiendish codex was because they wanted to limit its usage by manaless spammy champions that could abuse it. Now that manaless champions will be able to use it again, will they change the recipe again to include a mana componenet.

wolferer

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
But I thought one of the reasons the recipe was changed to include fiendish codex was because they wanted to limit its usage by manaless spammy champions that could abuse it. Now that manaless champions will be able to use it again, will they change the recipe again to include a mana componenet.
It was added to change the item from a mid-tier item into a high-tier item.