Win early, lose late

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1d5b61a8733e170555aa6

01-25-2013

Or at the very best it becomes too close for comfort

This happens almost every time I get an early lead. If the score is, say, 360-50 in our team's favor, the other team somehow magically manages to come back and they either win or we win by a very small point margin

Is this because of the respawn timers so the other team can just outlast us? It's incredibly frustrating that you get punished BY PLAYING WELL

Risemix

01-25-2013

1. Dominion has a few subtle anti-snowball mechanics, meaning that winning early means almost nothing if you can't hold on to your lead.
2. Late game champions have an advantage on Dominion due to almost globally equal gold flow. Early game-oriented teams must really try to push for fast wins, otherwise late game kicks in and they have trouble competing. For example, if your team is Jarvan/Lux/Miss Fortune/Renekton/Lulu and theirs is Jax/Poppy/Vayne/Ryze/Janna or something, your team will have an advantage early and theirs will have an advantage late. Late matters more because, well, it's the end of the game. You can't really go back.
3. Wave and respawn mechanics do favor the losing team, but only if they're losing by a lot, I believe.

AoXoA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

While its pretty annoying, its not THAT bad. Its called Rubberbanding... As in the rubber band gets stretched to one side so much it flings the other way =P

But still. Its annoying as heck if your the winning team. But This is what happens when late game champs are choosen, and you practically get the same amount of gold all game. Also because res timers get lower the less points you have.

IDontWasteFood

01-25-2013

At the end of your next game check to see the stats. You will see that the team with the MOST deaths spent the LEAST amount of time dead. There lies the answer you seek...

Fabs457

01-26-2013

I find it a lot more troublesome in close games where its like 120-100. The swingback mechanics can get silly and you have to be a lot more careful about death timers and when to disengage/not overextend

bierfaust

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
1. Dominion has a few subtle anti-snowball mechanics, meaning that winning early means almost nothing if you can't hold on to your lead.
3. Wave and respawn mechanics do favor the losing team, but only if they're losing by a lot, I believe.
Nothing subtle about how broken as **** the respawn mechanics are.

At the very least Nome has acknowledged that people aren't happy with the current settings, and most would actually prefer them removed entirely.

A handicap system in a king of the hill game mode is a bad idea. Nothing worse than winning a tactical victory or maintaining a lead only have your opponents throw corpses at you until you drop.

SirLucious LftFt

01-26-2013

while the late game/early game toon argument would work for a lot of games, at my elo at least, i feel like the respwn timers are the biggest culprit of this.

Ill see teams on both sides get a 400-100 lead think they are amazing and just start running into fights every time they spawn and never grouping up before engaging. Endless engagements of the 1v2-1v4,2v3,2v4 variety by the winning team until they relize what they are doing. By then momentem has shifted as has map control and it is too late.(some teams relize it sooner and can take back hold)

while this issue is caused by player skill mostly, the game not being clear on how respwn timers work for newer players does not help. It takes many many games before you can begin to understand the rubberbanding timers/ group spawn machanics.

Striderdat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

hmm

Redenbacher

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierfaust View Post
Nothing subtle about how broken as **** the respawn mechanics are.

At the very least Nome has acknowledged that people aren't happy with the current settings, and most would actually prefer them removed entirely.

A handicap system in a king of the hill game mode is a bad idea. Nothing worse than winning a tactical victory or maintaining a lead only have your opponents throw corpses at you until you drop.
Everyone with this complaint seems to ignore the point where if a team was unable to hold nodes due to faster respawns, eventually both teams are equal again. The 'winning' team should be able to seal the victory if they are indeed 'better' than the enemy, as the OP implies. Unless of course they have a significant team comp disadvantage (ie. weak late game champions) which is not the fault of Dominion, but of the players themselves.

I personally have no issue with the respawn timers as they stand. It forces both teams to play at their best for the entirety of the game, rather than riding the coattails of an early lead. I do NOT want the kind of snowballing that is present in SR and TT.

IDontWasteFood

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Everyone with this complaint seems to ignore the point where if a team was unable to hold nodes due to faster respawns, eventually both teams are equal again. The 'winning' team should be able to seal the victory if they are indeed 'better' than the enemy, as the OP implies. Unless of course they have a significant team comp disadvantage (ie. weak late game champions) which is not the fault of Dominion, but of the players themselves.

I personally have no issue with the respawn timers as they stand. It forces both teams to play at their best for the entirety of the game, rather than riding the coattails of an early lead. I do NOT want the kind of snowballing that is present in SR and TT.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh you go and read this now: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3003628