How to build skarner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davyo11

01-25-2013

I'm a big sucker for themes and I read skarner's bio and found out he was born on the crystal scar. I tried him once and I did beyond terrible but I'm willing to try again if I can get some advice on how to build him, what runes to use and how to play him effectively on dominion.

P.s. I read that skarners q can charge or something but every time I cast it, it doesn't charge so if someone could help me on that it would be great.

Thank you so much and have a great night or day depending on when you read this.

CartoonMad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

Build him as a hybrid bruiser. He wrecks as both. straight ap or ad is bad for skarner. he has to be tanky to be useful.

Wawix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

I'd build nashors, frozen fist and bulwark.
My ideal end game skarner would be: random boots, nashors, winfist, bulwark, rageblade and gunblade. But I don't even play skarner heuhehueuh

Desrik

01-25-2013

Davyo,

I used to play Skarner almost exclusively so hopefully I can offer you some insight.

Skarner is forced to be up front and in your face and his build should reflect that. Tanky items such as Randuin's Omen, Spirit Visage, Frozen Heart, Bulwark and Odyn's Veil are all great items. I also like to build a Trinity Force on Skarner because it interacts so well with his Q. The intermittent +150% damage on auto attacks from spamming Q makes it so that he is actually a threat to squishies. I often see people use Iceborne Gauntlet which is a decent item on him, but he already has an AoE slow and I prefer the additional HP and single target damage output of Trinity.

As far as skill order, R>Q=W>E. You want your ult up as often as possible, that is pretty obvious. As for Q or W, that is more of a personal preference. Q offers more damage and slow whereas W is going to give you more survivability. Also, probably the biggest disadvantage of Skarner is the lack of a true gap closer and as such he is easily susceptible to being kited. The higher your W, the more movespeed you're getting from it and the more you can use it. As for E, if you want to take a single point early to poke at people trying to cap or the like, that's about all it is good for. Unless you've gone a heavy AP build, more than one point isn't going to benefit you much.

To answer your question about his Q, it has an initial effect which doesn't actually provide a slow. If you use Q and it hits an enemy (either champion or minion), it will become empowered and all Q's for the next six seconds (I think it's six, been a while) will slow the enemy for a short time and do additional damage.

As for runes and masteries, I like movespeed quints, armor seals, magic resist glyphs and AD marks and for masteries I'd go 9/21/0 taking armor pen in offense.

As for play style, Skarner is pretty great if you can get in close, but of course that is a big if. In team fights you are basically just a damage sponge. Get in the middle, spam your Q and W on cooldown, if someone is going after your damage dealers ult them or at least try to slow them down. If you end up going bot, your best bet is generally just to let them push you to your own tower and farm it up. Skarner has great wave clear and even if you have a couple creeps running into your tower, you should be able to drop them before you take much tower damage. After that, just wait for them to mess up or for a gank from a team mate. Being close to your tower gives them a much further distance to run to safety allowing you to chip away at them. If you end up top, bush ganks are your friend. As I've said a couple times already, if you're out in the open, you're simply going to get kited all day. Setting little traps and such lets you get in close where Skarner excels. Also, Skarner is a phenominal ganker, don't be afraid to roam down bot and smash some faces.

All that being said, with the changes that came in S3, Skarner has been kind of beaten into the ground and while he is still viable, he's going to take a lot more effort to play well than most other champions. Best of luck.

davyo11

01-25-2013

Thank you so much Desrik.

Mantheon Mandrop

11-24-2013

Bumping this old thread for the heck of it.