Champion Select Chat is Toxic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

youthere

01-25-2013

The champion select chat seems to be by far the most toxic thing to the community in LoL, especially in draft mode.

First off the chat isn't synced, and there's no history shown, so if someone calls a role before everyone joined the chat and someone didn't see it, well you can expect a storm of rage. This happens pretty often.

To make matters worse Riot never really gave any real statement towards call vs pick order (afaik). Yes, I've read the summoners code, and the first section can be construed as pick order trumps call, but that's a bit fuzzy. If calling is the be-all and end-all, then those of us who's client loads screens more slowly than others will likely never be able to play a role we want to.

I know there are hundreds of threads about pick order/call as is, I don't intend for that to be the topic here. However it is an issue that breeds anger among teammates, all of which happens pre-game.

I just finished a game where I had second pick in the draft, I picked jungle, of course a teammate wasn't happy with that. I got the impression I was lucky enough to be the odd man out of a 3 or 4 person premade, because before champ select even finish, the unhappy teammate had rallied everyone to agree to report me.

I should have queue dodged then and there, but maybe I was waiting for someone else to, maybe I was hoping that once ingame everything would smooth over... no such luck. So for the next half hour or so I was subjected to constant insults and harassment by two members of my team in the chat, and countless attempts to try to rally the other team into reporting me as well.

If this case does make it to the Tribunal, they won't see the pregame chat, so I can only hope that they will be able to gauge from my teammates behavior what had happened.

I of course reported the two who were leading the verbal abuse, but as they managed to channel all my team's frustrations unto me, I'm likely the only one who did report them. So odds are they are safe from any sort of punishment.

I'm not sure what could be done to the pre-game chat to prevent this sort of thing. Personally I think it should just be removed. There was a couple of weeks during season 2 when the chat server wasn't working, and those champion selects and games went the smoothest of any I've ever experienced in LoL.

a lurker above

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
...I'm likely the only one who did report them. So odds are they are safe from any sort of punishment.
I see plenty of games in the tribunal where there was only one reporter. Every bit counts. But yes, they do need pre/post chat in tribunal - preferably ex post facto to nab people that think they're safe.

Palladine

01-25-2013

I've seen a lot of cases where the reports listed specify the user was trolling or being abusive in pre-game chat. Generally, that is accompanied by bad behavior in one of the games as well, especially in the case of fighting over a lane in pre-game chat. Often, they'll go into the game if no one dodges, then proceed to troll, feed or not play seriously, so I'd look for that kind of thing in the chat logs.

Atlas80

01-25-2013

I wish there was an option to report a player while in champ select. Then we wouldn't have to PLAY A WHOLE GAME at 4v5 and then report someone.

youthere

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by solttt View Post
I wish there was an option to report a player while in champ select. Then we wouldn't have to PLAY A WHOLE GAME at 4v5 and then report someone.
Part of me is inclined to agree, the other part feels it could too easily be abused. Didn't get the role you want? Report. Don't like the champion someone picked? Report (I can't tell you how many times people threaten to report me for picking Urgot). It would be made even worse when you get match with people who premade, a premade group could just go lobby to lobby reporting people as a new way to troll.

Psychosomatic

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
Part of me is inclined to agree, the other part feels it could too easily be abused. Didn't get the role you want? Report. Don't like the champion someone picked? Report (I can't tell you how many times people threaten to report me for picking Urgot). It would be made even worse when you get match with people who premade, a premade group could just go lobby to lobby reporting people as a new way to troll.
The Tribunal system does a good job of separating the wheat from the chaff. Those who are trolling reports will find that their reports hold no weight at all.

RaleonNightShado

01-26-2013

Duh... if someone reports you for picking urgot, period, then you get pardoned. *boggle* why does everyone pretend like getting reported automatically means punished....