What's your stance on changing lore?

I think the lore is a reference, but can be changed entirely to suit my needs 4 16.67%
I try to stick to lore, but will change certain things I dislike 9 37.50%
I write completely in-character, and will study the lore to make sure it agrees w/ my story 10 41.67%
Other (state in post) 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Changing Official Riot Lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frost Archer

02-07-2013

^ You do? But you have so much smut....... Oh wait, was that sarcasm?

mi ramfan

02-07-2013

IDK, I find Riot's lore to be rather...lacking. I use lore for a basis, but I add detail where I feel the lore isn't detailed enough.

I also tend to moderate characters a little bit, since Riot's lore portrays half of the champions as crazed zealots.

Ark Angel HFB

02-07-2013

I tend to try and make the characters alive... meaning they are never static and never 100% what there lore says they are...

I also tend to try and keep events... but change the circumstances in order to build depth into the characters. When in doubt I look to the emotes to find inspiration about the character.

Character should have light sides... dark sides... and grey areas in the middle. If you keep the story in that grey area, and touch on the lighter and darker side every now and then, you can typically form a fully fleshed out character that will resonate with people.

At least that is what I've learn... because every time I deviate from that plan i end up writing ****... >_>

Ark Angel HFB

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira Nibanabane View Post
Fiddlesticks (despite the birthday skin, since it's not lore based); he's a derranged puppet thing found in a room that tries to kill everything that enters. Sticking purely to the character and situation, a fanfic using him for anything funny would seem an effort in futility.
Fid, or Noc, or Brand, escape and end up finding things out about the world they had intended to ruin.

You could treat Fid like some creepy pasta and get away with a lot of humor and plot twisting with ease. Heck I might make a mainly funny, slightly creepy Fid story as a writing practice. ^_^

Peffern

03-03-2013

I say you are allowed to change whatever you want as long as it would appear to a third party character (say a random summoner) to agree with the lore. For example, the lore states that it is Ahri's goal to become human. However, in your story, if she is instead pretending to want this, that is acceptable.

Swiftestblade

03-04-2013

IMO, as the story develops you will eventually have to cut through that barrier of lore and change some things. Sure you want to try to stick to the lore, but if the story comes to a point where the lore will have to be edited and changed a tiny bit, well, its gonna have to happen.