What's your stance on changing lore?

I think the lore is a reference, but can be changed entirely to suit my needs 4 16.67%
I try to stick to lore, but will change certain things I dislike 9 37.50%
I write completely in-character, and will study the lore to make sure it agrees w/ my story 10 41.67%
Other (state in post) 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Changing Official Riot Lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dregen

01-25-2013

How do you guys feel about this? When you write fanfics, do you stick exactly to the lore that riot provided in the character's background, or do you only pick bits and pieces while changing others?

Does it bother you more when you read a fanfic that changes a lot of things around in a char's history, perhaps their entire history? Or does it bother you if an author creates nothing and ONLY uses the lore to write from?

Cerubois

01-25-2013

I'm one of those guys that wants to be as accurate as possible. I want my story to be believable based on what people already know of the lore.

I'm not too afraid of changing some small things (such as the specifics of summoning and matches) because some of it is actually quite odd in the lore (do they really carry around all those items from the shop?). But when it comes to champions, you gotta keep it true to their character. And for that, you need research.

Of course, with Riot (apparently) planning some major changes to the lore, my goal may be for not pretty soon.

RyuuMasken

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

I try to stick to what's known in the lore but I'll take liberties where things are generally unknown or foggy. Things also tend to evolve in their own way, too(Annie in Annie and Friends started out childlike and more twisted and now she isn't really twisted and is just a smart kid).

Ira Nibanabane

02-04-2013

Not just pertaining to League of Legends, but the few times I've worked on a fan fic I find it's best to study what's there and use it to the letter so the character still feels like the character they're supposed to be. To me, taking liberties slowly detracts from the base until you may as well just have created a new character because it becomes neither what you started with nor is it really your own.

As a note though, I think League is pretty generous for leaving fanfics open to creativity because, even having read through everything it seems like the official lore here is full of holes anyway.
They have a tendency of giving us a mini story then plopping characters into the League with no real explaination as to why they want to be there or why they would be allowed in. Some characters it's obvious as to their purpose, like everyone from Demacia and Noxus, then you have ones like Fiddlesticks where it was like, 'hey we found him in a closet and he killed a bunch of our guys let's make him fight for us until we figure out what else to do'.

TheSalmonOfDoubt

02-04-2013

I think writers should certainly stick to the lore that was valid when they began the fanfic. Since most writers have their storyline sorted before even the pilot, a change in lore can really mess things up, so I feel it is best to just give a note to the readers mentioning how you are sticking to the old lore

WingsofButterfly

02-04-2013

I'm the type to somewhat follow the lore, but definitely not as religiously as others. I'll take what the lore has so far in character development, history, and more things but I don't follow the actual timelines, out of paranoia of sounding like other fanfics.

One thing I'd really suggest though, is to not divert so far from the lore that you end up making a champion too OOC or things becoming too obscure that it doesn't seem like a fanfic about League of Legends anymore. But overall, people are entitled to do what they do, and how they'd like to do it. Most things work, really. :]

Frost Archer

02-04-2013

:/ I'm one of the guys who bases as much of the story off of the Lore as possible, but leave out EVERYTHING involving the League of Legends itself. And I sometimes make assumptions if I'm not sure about facts. (Also, it's impossible to have something exactly the same as the lore. After all, a fan fiction means adding your own touch to it.)

Dregen

02-04-2013

I personally prefer to use a champion's backstory as just a rough reference, and base my story around that, changing it to suit the story direction. I guess that would qualify some of my stories as "alternate universe" fiction, but if that's true so be it.

IMHO sticking strictly to the lore and writing 100% like that is no different than reading a bunch of role-play scripts, and if I wanted to do that, I would just go into a chat room and do some real role play, not reading someone else's imaginary role-playing.

Of course that's only my opinion, as I tend to prefer creating rather than following something.

Ira Nibanabane

02-05-2013

In addition to my earlier statement I think it's worth noting that I don't write anything really to be funny, and I think the fanfics that have a more comedic than serious tone are allowed more liberties due to the nature of the story.

If you stuck too hard to the lore, some characters just couldn't logically work for the tone of happy-go-lucky fun stuff...I'd like to reffer back to Fiddlesticks (despite the birthday skin, since it's not lore based); he's a derranged puppet thing found in a room that tries to kill everything that enters. Sticking purely to the character and situation, a fanfic using him for anything funny would seem an effort in futility.

W4ddleBuff

02-05-2013

I stick to the lore. Very, very closely. The only times I take liberties is when I'm writing about the unknown world of Valoran, or the murky character traits of Champions that is not expressed through their lore.