Udyr Aram Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demonic Instinct

01-25-2013

So I do not own Udyr, but I have played him a couple times on summoner's rift, and in ARAM he is considered to be one of the weakest champions you can get.

I was wondering, how would he fare if the player built tanky AP, and maxed out Phoenix Stance/Turtle Stance? This would give him good AOE damage (His R has pretty good scaling) while at the same time giving him a stronger shield (good for ARAM.)

Has anyone tried this? How well does it work?

I am hoping to pick up Udyr soon since he got his price reduced.

LrdVprScrpn

01-25-2013

It works all right. Shield/Phoenix/Bear is pretty decent. Make sure you get mitigation so you can survive.

Udyr really isn't bad, the problem is most of your teammates won't take advantage of his abilities when you ping pong around and chain stun the enemy. It's the same thing that makes people think Yi is godlike; the majority of players are too stupid to adapt to the current situation, and will stick to their cookie cutter build/playstyle regardless of the game in front of them.

If you have competent teammates, Udyr is very powerful. He is one of the champs that the enemy can't resist focusing when he dives back into the carries.

Zielmann

01-25-2013

The most successful Udyrs I've seen go either tanky with focus on aura items, straight up tank, or tanky with a black cleaver (or possibly some other manner of AD).

AP may not be terrible, and would probably work with some teams (if he's your only option to go AP, then by all means...). But his AOE isn't that great, and he really needs to major on the tanky and minor on the AP since he needs to be smack in the middle of things, smacking people in the face with his palms.

AversiveBias

01-25-2013

Tank udyr is great on ARAM.

Cupiter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

Pure tank. Stun entire team by autoing them one at a time. By the time you've hit the fifth guy, the first guy's back up. You're useful now.

The Codyman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

personally I hate this champ in arams.

and I guess thats it, but don't dodge if you get him.

innervation

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdVprScrpn View Post

If you have competent teammates, Udyr is very powerful. He is one of the champs that the enemy can't resist focusing when he dives back into the carries.
Basically this. My brother is a pretty good Udyr player, and I've seen him have games where his score approaches 20-4 built hard AD. But that's playing with 4 other decent players, all in voice chat.

In pug games, it's pretty hard to play a tanky champion with a subpar gap closer when you cant count on your team to properly follow up. Udyr is really good on SR and TT though, so he's not a bad buy - especially if you like him thematically. Buy him!

New Gamerleans

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic Instinct View Post
he is considered to be one of the weakest champions you can get.
You have to understand, just because bad players play a champion does not mean the champion is bad. Admittedly, he has no dashes, shunpos, charges, or blink abilities, but he does still have a respectable, short-CD speed boost which synergizes well with champions like Zilean or Jayce who can give him extra speed to stack. He is very tanky and even has a shield, which can also synergize with a myriad of champions. In fact, last night I played an Udyr game with a Lux and Janna on my team. Suffice to say, I was immortal.

To answer your question on how to build him, however, just go full tank. This obviously varies in definition based on what kind of team you are facing.

In the event that your enemies are randomed a full team of a single kind of damage, feel free to buy at least 1 DMG item. Personally, I get a Black Cleaver or Infinity's Edge at the end of my build in such a scenario since his Q (rending ability) has some impressive AD scaling. Honestly, I have not tried a Trinity Force yet, but I feel it could apply very well with Udyr. I will experiment with that next time.

This is especially advantageous if their team is full AP. A Wit's End with a Nashor's Tooth stacks very pleasurably, in this case, with his R while still providing some defense. Obviously, you would want more MR first, but if you want to continue the MR build while adding some damage, this could be effective.

If the entire team is rocking heavily on AD, rush either a Thornmail and/or a Sunfire Cape (synergizes well with your R for added tanky AOE dps).

For a balanced build against a team with both damage types, I personally start T1 Boots / Giant's Belt/H.Pots. Then, depending on their most prominent damage of course, I either go into a Sunfire's Cape or Aegis of the Legion. Eventually, a Warmog's is a hilarious advantage. For MR, I snag a Banshee's Veil (making me harder to kite if I can block one slow). Obviously you want to get Merc. Treads to make yourself harder to kite. If the team is not loaded with slows or CC, feel free to go Boots of Swiftness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AversiveBias View Post
Tank udyr is great on ARAM.

GankosaurusRex

01-26-2013

Ghost + Flash + Mercury Treads with Distortion enchantment and max Bear stance first. Usually go with full tank build with Frozen Mallet.

Sometimes I max Tiger first, stack armor and just become a tower murdering machine.