-Computer People- Need help deciding what next best computer part!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CoffeeGhost

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Alright guys, With a few new games comming out I really would like to upgrade my computer. I have a pretty high budget and was wondering if you guys had any idea what I should be upgrading first for gaming?

Computer Specs:
http://imgur.com/Xpxotr6

Thanks!!

Surakai

02-07-2013

graphics card is the only thing that really needs changing assuming you plan on playing high end games, otherwise its still pretty good for mid-high end sh*t. I am assuming your PSU is fine since it is currently supplying a 560 although it would still help knowing what it is.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

Graphics Card is about the only thing you could really consider. But at the same time, that too isn't all that 'bad' per se. I would recommend waiting a little bit before upgrading, for the next GPU series.

KingofApples

02-07-2013

>Graphics card only thing worth upgrading

Bro, do you even Computer Science?

Tragalo

02-07-2013

Meh here is my gripe about it

I am not a fan of the 9xx series because they are 125w CPU's and are known for running hot. Their architecture CANNOT touch that of an LGA 1155 CPU. But if you DON'T want to change out here is my recommendation:

Get an H80I CPU cooler and OC to around 3.5-4.0GHz, that will yield some NICE power increase, cost is about 80 bucks

Take our 1 stick of ram to run dual channel or buy 1 more 4GB stick

Upgrade the video card, depending on price though
170: HD 7850 2GB
200: HD 7870/GTX 660(HD 7870 OC's better and outperforms it, but the GTX 660 is a viable option if you're pro nvidia)
300: HD 7950/GTX 660ti(Same as the previous case, but when OC'ed the HD 7950 beats an OC'ed GTX 670 and runs WITH the gtx 680 @ stock)
400: HD 7970GHz, the GTX 680 is pricier and just loses hands down and gets destroyed when OC'ed

OPTIONAL: GTX 670 for less than 350. It only needs a 450w PSU with 2x6 pin connectors, it uses far less power than most cards listed and runs quieter.

CoffeeGhost

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragalo View Post
Meh here is my gripe about it

I am not a fan of the 9xx series because they are 125w CPU's and are known for running hot. Their architecture CANNOT touch that of an LGA 1155 CPU. But if you DON'T want to change out here is my recommendation:

Get an H80I CPU cooler and OC to around 3.5-4.0GHz, that will yield some NICE power increase, cost is about 80 bucks

Take our 1 stick of ram to run dual channel or buy 1 more 4GB stick

Upgrade the video card, depending on price though
170: HD 7850 2GB
200: HD 7870/GTX 660(HD 7870 OC's better and outperforms it, but the GTX 660 is a viable option if you're pro nvidia)
300: HD 7950/GTX 660ti(Same as the previous case, but when OC'ed the HD 7950 beats an OC'ed GTX 670 and runs WITH the gtx 680 @ stock)
400: HD 7970GHz, the GTX 680 is pricier and just loses hands down and gets destroyed when OC'ed

OPTIONAL: GTX 670 for less than 350. It only needs a 450w PSU with 2x6 pin connectors, it uses far less power than most cards listed and runs quieter.

Thank you very much for the reply.
I think Ill go with you and get a new graphics card (HD 7950/GTX 660ti).

If you're still here (or anyone still here) I was wondering if it is the video card causing small fps drops when I go into towns in MMOs?

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLeafy View Post
Thank you very much for the reply.
I think Ill go with you and get a new graphics card (HD 7950/GTX 660ti).

If you're still here (or anyone still here) I was wondering if it is the video card causing small fps drops when I go into towns in MMOs?
If you are looking at the 7950 I would look at the 7870 XT Tahiti LE, not the plain 7870. Lower cost than a 7950 and same level of performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=Tahiti%20LE

7950 levels of performance, even beating out a 7950 clock when you OC it. As well as a free copy of the new Bioshock and the new Tomb Raider....Total net cost to you is about $180, counting the value of the games.