The Heimerdinger Resistance

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Jade Fist

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by certainlyt View Post
did anyone catch gsg vs. Cj entus - nlb winter final (aired about an hour ago)? Cj entus just ran a strategy centered around 'dinger. Aired on http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia... I'll resist spoiling the outcome for those who want to watch.

Vod at 3:33:00 -- http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia/b/362814801 (thanks to jumbledcode)
Stop, Heimer Time!

Jumbledcode

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felaedor View Post
Thanks for correction -- T

I'm kinda surprised they didn't include Alistar in that ****. Probably could have ended it even faster.
Oops. CertainlyT corrected the quoted version but not his original post.

sleepisdeath

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Did anyone catch GSG vs. CJ Entus - NLB Winter Final (aired about an hour ago)? CJ Entus just ran a strategy centered around 'Dinger. Aired on http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia... I'll resist spoiling the outcome for those who want to watch.

VoD at 3:33:00 -- http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia/b/362814801 (Thanks to Jumbledcode)

thx for the video seems to be very interesting. i'll look into it when i get home from work

btw CertainlyT can it be that you are responsible for or have something to do with the changes to Heimers turrets?

Whyumai

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Did anyone catch GSG vs. CJ Entus - NLB Winter Final (aired about an hour ago)? CJ Entus just ran a strategy centered around 'Dinger. Aired on http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia... I'll resist spoiling the outcome for those who want to watch.

VoD at 3:33:00 -- http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia/b/362814801 (Thanks to Jumbledcode)
So yeah.

I feel like this basically confirms the fears that Heimer will never get buffed and will only stay useful for tower pushing strats.

He's entirely useless for anything other than tower pushing.

MarijuanaMonster

02-01-2013

This only happened with the extremely convient picks.

Cait/TF constant poke. Blitz so they can't counter poke. Heimer just had lane stopping power to make it work.

H2ojames

02-01-2013

I read somewhere that heim was possibly not getting a visual upgrade. I would be extremely offended if he didn't as his model is one/if not the most outdated and ugly model, compared to the new champs and model updates

GhostStalker

02-01-2013

ugh this ****ing vod is loading so slowly, it keeps pausing every other second :|

ringthree

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarijuanaMonster View Post
This only happened with the extremely convient picks.

Cait/TF constant poke. Blitz so they can't counter poke. Heimer just had lane stopping power to make it work.
Isn't it time that more people and teams start picking counter-comps instead of counter-picks? I would not be surprised to see that increase in the near future. The best meta is one that counters the other teams meta, not necessarily the one with the best individual champs.

You will notice that GSG only lost one tower, and that was while they were gaining the second mid and the mid inhib tower. Also, their Olaf was basically given free farm, which counteracted the loss in XP to those that were pushing. This wasn't even an all-in strategy. They knew what the other team was capable of (high sustained damage and tankiness) and what they were not (little to no pushing power, at least until Kha'Zix hit 6) and took advantage of it.

I am not saying that Heimer does or doesn't need a buff. I am just saying that I think people will look at this and say that it was an all-in or gimmick. They would be totally incorrect. This was a very good and very well thought out strategy.

mikkozak

02-01-2013

Improved AI on the turrets is a big step. I can at least attempt to play him now.

Whyumai

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
Isn't it time that more people and teams start picking counter-comps instead of counter-picks? I would not be surprised to see that increase in the near future. The best meta is one that counters the other teams meta, not necessarily the one with the best individual champs.
Actually I think it highlights the strengths of Blitzcrank and Olaf.

With Blitzcrank there is no counter play available against hook. It's always going to be a problem and I think that's the reason why Blitzcrank is often banned. He's generally in the top 10 of banned champions because there's just no counter play to a Blitzcrank hook other than: don't get hooked. The playstyle you have to use to avoid getting hooked though makes Blitzcrank's hook effective even if you never use it.

I feel like Olaf was very important to the strat, not only because he's good at everything but because he's just got so much sustain. He very much held two lanes ('port early on from top to bot) while farming both to gain that huge advantage early. Wolves helped as well to give an early edge on Shen.

It also highlighted Shen's inability to push. However, I just can't see who they could have put up against Olaf that wouldn't have caused even more problems.

They needed Cho'Gath mid since he's their only realy AoE early. Ezreal and Sona are too squishy, and Kha'Zix can't sustain against Olaf.

Would be interesting to see who they would run if they didn't have Olaf or if Olaf ever gets significant nerfs so that he can't just infinitely sustain while dealing tons of damage.

No doubt it has set Heimerdinger back another 6 months for rework because now Riot will see him as a "valid" pick.