@RIOT We need to deal with smurfs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karmick

01-24-2013

I am a new player to this game, and I am constantly up against people who are much better than me and destroy me and my team. When this happens, new players lose confidence and motivation to play the game, and I know a few people who have quit because of it. We need to fix this so that the League of Legends community continues to grow as it should, while playing in a fun and fair system.

SoresuMakashi

01-24-2013

Yeah, I have to agree that this is something Riot could work on.

From a player behaviour standpoint, many experienced, permabanned players make smurfs, and can imbalance games as well as being extremely toxic. I believe Lyte has said that he wants to look into player behaviour solutions other than permabanning, but any new features seem to be some way off.

Of course, most smurfs are just regular players making an alternate account, which is something that Riot can't do much about. Any improvements to team balance would have to come from matchmaking, although I don't know if there's any plans for that. Ideas off the top of my head include voluntary "linking" of main and alt accounts together, which could be used to calculate starting Elo. Riot could also try increasing Elo volatility in the first few matches, or putting in initiatives to encourage making an accurate choice to the "prior MOBA experience" question (which I assume determines starting Elo), either by using a reward system or by highlighting the negative impacts that an inaccurate choice can have on other players.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-24-2013

Even without smurfs, the same thing would probably happen. People who come into this game may have a lot of experience with other MOBAs or RTS games, or they may just have good reflexes and decision-making skills in general. They may have already watched a lot of pro streams and read a lot of guides. Among people who are just starting out, a little information goes a long way. Just a small amount of skill and knowledge gives you a sharp increase in how well you can play the game. So even if you take 10 people who are completely new to the game, one or two people in that game will most likely stand out as being much better than the rest. It's just how games with learning curves work, especially a snowball-y game like this.

And there's really nothing you can do about smurf accounts anyway. It's a free-to-play game.

AngryMuffin

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoyItsaMegaman View Post
Even without smurfs, the same thing would probably happen. People who come into this game may have a lot of experience with other MOBAs or RTS games, or they may just have good reflexes and decision-making skills in general. They may have already watched a lot of pro streams and read a lot of guides. Among people who are just starting out, a little information goes a long way. Just a small amount of skill and knowledge gives you a sharp increase in how well you can play the game. So even if you take 10 people who are completely new to the game, one or two people in that game will most likely stand out as being much better than the rest. It's just how games with learning curves work, especially a snowball-y game like this.

And there's really nothing you can do about smurf accounts anyway. It's a free-to-play game.
Agreed. Additionally, even if people are smurfing, there's a chance they're doing it to play with their low level friends. If they played on their mains, their friends might get crushed. It sucks that that many people choose to smurf entirely for the joy of having one sided games against newbies, but it's just part of the genre.

If they are banned players who are toxic, do your duty and report. If players don't get reported, nothing will be done to them. And sure, you can say that they will just make another account but why not let them? Leveling up still takes a good amount of time and for every ban they get, they lose that much time of their lives while you lose maybe 40 minutes of yours.

Durokx

01-24-2013

well i had to make a new account on NA because i moved to china, so i cant play anylonger on euw. Anyways its also not fun (at least not for me) to play against and with newbies. I steamroll my lane and have people in my team who builds hunters machete on the lane etc.
I play this game for the challange and not to stomp new players, but i have no choice unless my hidden elo is back to where it belongs.
So atm i made the decision to play till lvl 30 on bot games fast and then just play rankeds :x