Mikael, the Steam Punk

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RogueVector

01-24-2013

Disclaimer: I hereby consent to allow Riot Games to freely and without need of informing me use, in part or as a whole, this champion concept posted in this thread.

Signed,
RogueVector

Goal: Primarily an AP carry, he's rather fragile with low effective HP but once you get his autoattack stacks on-target he hits like a truck when he combos his skills, making him an excellent duelist. However, his bursting ability suffers because of the need for stacks. Mikael's AoE abilities makes sure he's no slouch in a teamfight with all kinds of CC but this is balanced by long cooldowns and a knack for overheating.

[Lore]

The Steam Punk was once just a man, hailing from the city of Zaun. As a child, Mikel was picked up off the streets and worked in the shadow of the great academies to feed the steaming boilers that fed power to the researchers and their hextech techmaturgy. In this existence, between chilling cold nights on the streets and blazing hot days feeding the white-hot maw of a boiler with coal, the young boy learned he could see the flow of heat; in and out like a foggy breath in the wind. He watched as water boiled, saw metal heating and cooling and balloons of air expanding and contracting seemingly at the whims of the thermal energies that moved within them. Day after day, with his growing maturity so too did he grow in command over heat, and perception of temperature; no longer did Mikael check gauges or consult thermometers, but instead he could judge what was too hot and what was too cold simply by looking. Older, more experienced men derided the soot-covered punk that would ignore their devices in favor of his own senses, but were time and again proven wrong.

It wasn't long after that he rose through the ranks of the boiler men and soon was the gang head for a boiler crew, one that was long rumored to be the one that fed steam to the process that resulted in Blitzcrank, the Steam Golem.

One winter day, where the steel overhead creaked and groaned from the pressure demanded of them, an overhead pipe burst from the pressure, venting its contents and filling the boiler room with a deluge of boiling water and hissing steam that surged through the cramped space. Such was the heat that the coal dust ignited just before it was drowned by the torrent of water, and soon enough it reached the main room and threw Mikael into his own boiler's open maw. Those witnesses who survived seeing the flood of steaming water didn't bother to rush to his aid, for no man could have survived such heat and force.

Indeed, it was no mere man that stepped from the wreck of the boiler; coal embedded into his skin and, curiously, frosty icicles forming at his fingertips. This elemental staggered past stunned mortals, up the steps and into the chilling winter streets above with his back radiating the tremendous energies that he had drawn in to his new self: a elemental of heat in the shape of a young man, wreathed in steam and frost.

Thus Mikael, the Steam Punk, was born.

[Character elements]
-Steam constantly swirling about him, along with his right/left arm having opposite schemes, for cold and hot, where one is swirling in steam and coals while the other is layered in frost and ice.

Uses 'Heat' resource, starts with 100 (of 200). His main playstyle switches between a 'hot' side and a 'cold' side; with hot being focused on reducing health regen through burns, while cold is focused on slowing/stunning his foes.

Quote:
STATS:
Health: 395 + 80 per level
Health Regen: 5.5 + .85 per level
Mana: (None, uses static 200 Heat Resource)
Mana Regen: 0

Movement Speed: 335

Attack Damage: 50 + 2.75 per level
Attack Speed: 0.68 + 2.6% per level
Range: 560 (ranged attack)

Armor: 10 + 3.8 per level
Magic Resistance: 30
Quote:
Passive: Extreme Temperatures
If Mikael’s Heat reserves drops too low or builds up too much, he begins suffering the side effects of his own powers.

Should his Heat drop below 25, he gains (1 + 0.5 per level) armor and magic resistance per Heat below 25 as his skin freezes over. However, the chill slows his movement speed by 20%.
[Activates the 'Cooled' Status effect]

As he Heats up above 175, excess Heat allows him to move and attack faster by 1% for every 1 Heat above 175. However, health regeneration and healing effects are reduced by 20%.
[Activates the 'Boiling' Status effect]
Quote:
Q: Burn 'em/Chill 'em (Toggled autoattack addon)
Mikael uses his abilities to draw heat or expend it from his reserves, adding side effects to his basic attacks.

[Burn 'em]
Mikael imparts each of his strikes with a burst of thermal energy, Burning his enemies for an extra (5/7.5/10/12.5/15 + 0.1 AP) Magic Damage per Burn. Burn stacks up to (2/3/4/5/6) times, and costs 5 Heat per attack.

[Chill 'em]
Mikael takes away from his enemies' body temperature with each basic attack, Chilling the target and slowing them by (10/15/20/25/30 + 5%) per Chill stack on target for 2 seconds.

Chill stacks up to 2/3/4/5/6 times and adds 5 Heat to his reserves per attack.
Notes: Mikel switches his basic attack animation, to fire from his right hand or his left hand.

Quote:
W: Exhale
Cost: -65 Heat
Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds)
Range: 60* cone, 450 Range
Mikael unleashes his thermokinetic powers as a cone of superheated air rushing from his hands, searing his enemies' with their intense heat for (100/125/150/175/200 + 0.35 AP + 25/30/35/40/45 per Burn Stack) Magic Damage, and blasts Mikael back (400 range)

If Inhale was used less than 3 seconds ago, Exhale becomes ‘Thermal Blast’ and inflicts Grevious Wounds (-50% to all healing effects for 5 seconds) to all targets with a Burn Stack.
Quote:
E: Inhale
Cost: + 65 Heat
Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
Range: 500)

Mikael rips the heat out of a single target enemy and draws it to himself, slowing them by 40/45/50/55/60 + 5% per Chill Stack for 2/2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds and dealing (100/125/150/175/200 + 0.65 AP) Magic Damage as their bodies freeze in place.

If Exhale was used less than 3 seconds ago Inhale becomes ‘Snap Freeze’, adding a (1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2) second stun before the slow.
Quote:
R: Chilling Burn / Flashpoint Surge

Cooldown: 150/120/100 seconds and when Heat -/+ 100. Icon switches from Inactive to the appropriate icon as he goes above or below 100 Heat.

Chilling Burn: Mikael freezes the air around him (range 600), gaining Heat (+50 Heat/second) and slowing enemy units by (55/65/75 + 5% per Chill stack) while channeling (until Heat is 200). Chilling Burn deals (200/400/600 + 1.25 AP) of Magic Damage for every second he channels.

If Thermal Blast was used before Chilling Burn, Mikael's attack speed is increased by a further 30/40/50% for 5 seconds after channeling.

Flashpoint Surge: Surging forward (speed 750, width 300) as a thermokinetic fury by burning all his Heat (-100 Heat/Second), Mikael passes through his foes, dealing (350/425/500 + 0.75 AP) Magic Damage, inflicting Grevious Wounds (50% reduction in healing effects) for (4 + 1 per Burn Stack) seconds.

If Snap Freeze was used before Flashpoint Surge, Mikael deals an extra (30/40/50%) of Flashpoint Surge's damage as True Damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialogue
Selection:
"The cold... burrrns..."

Movement:
"Stay frosty."
(If Boiling) "Hot hot hot!"
(If Cooled) "Chill, summoner..."

Attacking:
"There's something missing here..." (If Q hasn't been leveled)

Abilities
Q (Cooling): "Lets light a fire under 'em.."
Q (Heating): "Make 'em chill a little..."

W (Exhale): "Spread the warmth."
W+ (Vent): "Blow 'em away!"

E (Inhale): "Lemme borrow that for a second."
E + (Snap Freeze): "Freeze!"

Joke:
Neither: "For a hot guy, I'm pretty cool."
Neither: "For a cool guy, I'm pretty hot."

Boiling: "I... am beyond hot."

Cooled: "Waaaay too cool..."

Taunt:
"I think you need to cool off a little."

Monstarach

01-24-2013

Alrighty, here goes...

Passive - This is a fairly negative passive... Maybe you should phrase it for reverse understanding... Heat below 20 could give the debuff of 180, in reverse as a buff, and vice versa. It makes it seem worth while to get into those areas...

Q - Does the 25% and 75% refer to having 25 heat, or 50? 75, or 150??? Keeping a constant standard, would make it easier to interpret. But I do like the idea behind this ability!!

W/E - Very much so like the idea of combo-ing abilities. But what is the time frame that they can be used in succession?

R - Abs. 0, not sure how much of a good idea an AoE 3 second stun is, I would say MAYBE 2 seconds at max rank.
Flashpoint Surge, I am ok with this, really no complaints at all
Overall, the ult seems weird though, the only way to get to 0 or 200 heat is to combo from that last ability, so is there a time frame afterwards? Or is it just whenever?

There are really only those 2 ways to use or create heat. And one of them being 35 makes it so that you aren't working with even numbers, what if you don't have 35, you only have 25 heat? It means you have to combo into it, but that seems like forcing an interaction to me. Possibly make it so that the Q expends or gains heat?
I like this equilibrium champion, possibly make it so that his "cold" abilities are less effective when he is hotter, and vice versa. Lots of cool interactions could be done here!!!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3016557
Also, some feedback on my champion would be appreciated

RogueVector

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstarach View Post
Alrighty, here goes...

Passive - This is a fairly negative passive... Maybe you should phrase it for reverse understanding... Heat below 20 could give the debuff of 180, in reverse as a buff, and vice versa. It makes it seem worth while to get into those areas...

Q - Does the 25% and 75% refer to having 25 heat, or 50? 75, or 150??? Keeping a constant standard, would make it easier to interpret. But I do like the idea behind this ability!!

W/E - Very much so like the idea of combo-ing abilities. But what is the time frame that they can be used in succession?

R - Abs. 0, not sure how much of a good idea an AoE 3 second stun is, I would say MAYBE 2 seconds at max rank.
Flashpoint Surge, I am ok with this, really no complaints at all
Overall, the ult seems weird though, the only way to get to 0 or 200 heat is to combo from that last ability, so is there a time frame afterwards? Or is it just whenever?

There are really only those 2 ways to use or create heat. And one of them being 35 makes it so that you aren't working with even numbers, what if you don't have 35, you only have 25 heat? It means you have to combo into it, but that seems like forcing an interaction to me. Possibly make it so that the Q expends or gains heat?
I like this equilibrium champion, possibly make it so that his "cold" abilities are less effective when he is hotter, and vice versa. Lots of cool interactions could be done here!!!
Passive: So, when he's boiling he gains movement speed, and when he's chilled he gains a buff to health regen? I like that idea, actually...

Q: It is mentioned that he uses/draws in heat, I just haven't put in a number; he gains/loses 5 Heat depending on which addon he's using. Its meant to be the primary mechanic of spending/gaining heat, my bad ^^;

W/E: The Q counts as a previous spell and would break it, so you'd need to use them one after the other, almost, and pick which bonus you want to get. I could also add in a 5 second or so cooldown before that bonus becomes unavailable...

R: The ult is meant to have a pretty tight range, maybe 300-400 range max (for reference, Amumu's ult is 600 range) so I felt the 3 second stun is justified as a tradeoff between range and stun-duration. Maybe change it to a 1.75 / 2 / 2.25 duration?

EDITED, hope you like it!

ElementSteel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

Ok, you've gotten my attention with your lore and idea of using heat.
Before I start though, you need to change the passive name and cold ultimate's name. They are Veigar's innate and Nunu's ult respectively. Anyway, onwards...

Resource: Never really thought of using heat like that. I like that it allows for a flexible kind of play by combining the two sides. How effective this is though, I'll continue to look into.

Innate: Alright, so it's kind of like how Rumble can't be spammy either. That's respectable because it makes sense at the very least. Again, this means that Mikael can (and probably should) be extremely flexible with his gameplay. I also like how the penalties make sense.

Q: Ok, so this is the main way of going up and down I'm assuming. Basically, it's a reversal of his innate's penalties being put on his target, that works. This does make me question though, how does he autoattack? Is he melee or ranged?

W: So it makes him colder...alright. That's some decent base damage, although I'm not sure if it's too much. For now, I'll say it could probably be a little lower considering the cooldown. Combos with Inhale to make an escape similar to Caitlyn's? Interesting...

E: And now we have the opposite, heating up. That's a pretty potent slow with that damage. It really reminds me of Nunu's Ice Ball, like really does. Same slow percentage, similar damage. Thing is, it's generically worse than the Ice Ball, considering that it doesn't do as much damage and it doesn't have the attack speed slow. The thing I do want changed though is that stun duration. I know it's a combo, but that's still too long. At most, a stun should be 2 (maybe 2.5) seconds.

R: AoE 3 second stun...Hmm...as an ult that needs to be worked up to... I don't like it. It easily makes a teamfight extremely one-sided. That damage is nowhere near as insane as its namesake though. I'd rather the stun duration be reduced. The combination with Exhale is fine.
Flashpoint Surge's damage against champions doesn't scale with more ranks in it like the cold ult does. The true damage makes me wonder what the cooldown of the ult is, because that is an insane wave clearer. The regen reduction is kind of another team-killer, probably shutting down tanks and making the rest easy pickings, if they hadn't died of burns already. I guess the combo with Inhale is alright as well.

The last question I have is what is 'Boiling Up' and 'Cooling Down' exactly? The names of the Q toggle? Because I wasn't sure with the wording, sorry. >.< Anyway, I like this, hope my comments help you out.

Cybroxis

01-24-2013

Passive - I like this, as his other abilities are NOT overpowered, but do seem to be quite versatile, similar to Lee Sin's aptitude for being a tank mage ad carry mage assassin jungler. However, after reading his abilities and the fact that he does not seem to have passive heat loss/gain, I would suggest something radical here - perhaps instead of having 200 heat, it could be only 40, with the values adjusted to match - it seems to me that this would be easier to track, as this value isn't quite so important for casting abilities, being more of a placemarker, while all of his abilities work in combos anyway (if he needs heat, he can just inhale it or ulti, and vice versa.

Q - not much to say about this, though I believe there should be some SLIGHT AD or AP ratio applied to the damage he does in each case - just an opinion

W/E - as Mon said, I love it. Nothing to change, good job

R - I love the concept behind this, though for Absolute Zero I have two strong suggestions
1. Yes, a 3 sec stun is simply too long - I suggest a 1.5 sec strong slow (like nunu's) and then a 1.5 sec stun. Nunu only has a slow, which is justified because of the massive ap ratio applied to the ulti, but I think having a stun here is certainly all right
2. Speaking of Nunu, you simply must change the name of the ability - Absolute Zero is absolutely taken, no offense. Other than that, love it

-Gj, and please check out my champ, though I've only finished with the basic concept and lore. Abilities have not been started yet unfortunately - but SPOILERS his nemesis is Mordekaiser :P
Vakk, Soul of the Sword
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...6#post33860986

Monstarach

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybroxis View Post
2. Speaking of Nunu, you simply must change the name of the ability - Absolute Zero is absolutely taken, no offense. Other than that, love it
Totally upset I missed that!!! I LOVE Nunu, and didn't catch that I am a bad person...

RogueVector

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstarach View Post
Totally upset I missed that!!! I LOVE Nunu, and didn't catch that I am a bad person...
You're not the only one... >_>;;

Alright, on Mikael ver 1.05 now. Edited, enjoy!

Changed the Innate to 'Still Human', which is a placeholder name until I get a new name. Suggestions?

MilkusWolfus

01-24-2013

Did a quick read on the passive and such. I think this is a very cool idea! I'll have to look over it more when I have time. Good to see something interesting. Love the give and take idea like an enhanced Rumble from what I saw.

Monstarach

01-24-2013

Quote:
Passive: Still Human
If Mikael’s Heat reserves drops too low or builds up too much, he begins suffering the side effects of his own powers. Should his Heat drop below 20, his movement speed and attack speed suffers (1% for every 2 Heat below 20) as his body tries to cope with the chill, but he gains (0.5 + 0.5 per level) armor and magic resistance per Heat as his skin freezes over. As he Heats up above 180, his health and mana regeneration begins to slow (1% for every 2 Heat above 180) as he struggles to prevent his own immolation, but the excess Heat allows him to move and attack faster (2% for every 1 Heat above 180).
Love the new passive!! Much better than my suggestion, great morph of the old passive!

RogueVector

01-24-2013

Thanks, guys!

Also, as a joke, maybe have this as a passive:

Cold Shoulder / Is it hot in here?
(Cold Shoulder when Heat is below 80, while Is it hot in here? activates when above 120 Heat)

EDIT:

Tuned Flashpoint Surge; true damage component tuned down, the base damage now scales per level.