Self pity or Improvement

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpyderJ

01-24-2013

I have a question, why is it that there are to many people that just use the term "blame" Theres way too many (my teammates suck too much) threads. Thing is theres also an increasing amount of people saying (Blame yourself for the losses) Which just sounds depressing to be honest.
But thing is, there's a horrible flaw to this idea that "blaming" someone or yourself will solve ANYTHING.

Now a friend of mine told me a long time ago a very simple concept. "Do as much as you possibly can, every time. And if you lose, think about what it was that caused you to lose. theyre games, you can always influence the outcome greatly." This was in refference to starcraft 1. Thing is its held true through every game I've played.

It just seems as though people are alright with where the elo system places them. So they figure hey, this is how I play, and because im with people of my same level I dont have to change. Though my problem with this is ive never been satisfied with my own playstyle of a game. Regardless of what it is, I watch the pros of every game I play to emulate and build a style which fits me, but mimics some areas of their play. And with a game such as this which is so competitive in nature, i dont fully understand why people dont put the emphasis on improvement.

TL;DR - Why do people only place blame on others or themselves while ignoring what they can do differently next time to prevent a preventable loss.

PinkDongkey

01-24-2013

That way of thinking makes too much sense

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-24-2013

We're not saying to go slit your wrists while chanting "I lost because I suck, I lost because I suck."

We're saying that saying "I lost because my teammates are trash" won't help you improve. You could say "I lost because my teammate did this wrong", which is better, but not always true and you can't control that anyway. Instead, you should instead be looking at your gameplay and saying "I lost because I did X wrong."

Stippy

01-24-2013

Read and apply the seven habits of highly successful people to league.

A prominent one of the habits is "focus on what you can change"

You cannot make your teammates play better in ranked. You can increase your skills by learning from mistakes. Just a re hash of what the poster above me said. People should apply this thought to everything in their life.

MileHighJew

01-24-2013

Sometimes you lost because the other team did really well. I guess people can't blame the other team for doing well or giving them credit. I guess this isn't mentioned in the Summoner's Code: "You had five opponents in that game, and - seeing as you just lost - chances are that they had something to do with it."

OriginalJack

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
We're saying that saying "I lost because my teammates are trash" won't help you improve. You could say "I lost because my teammate did this wrong", which is better, but not always true and you can't control that anyway. Instead, you should instead be looking at your gameplay and saying "I lost because I did X wrong."
Yes, even if it's "I lost because my teammate did this wrong and I failed to react correctly." that's still something you're taking away from the game.

- a teammate got caught and you tried to help when he was already going to die
- a teammate is starting to lose his lane and you either don't notice in time or you don't try hard enough to help
- a teammate is playing passively and instead of trying to adjust your play or asking them to change you just go all in
- trying to get your team to do some fancy splitpush/baron/fakeout/whatever and they mess it up... maybe a simpler plan like "all mid" would have been better

Sometimes you need to cover for teammates that aren't as good as you'd like and you need to adjust your play to work better with the team. While you might not be the one who finally threw the game there were likely several things you could have done earlier to prevent that situation from even coming up. While it's unfortunate to lose a game you could have won losing and not learning anything from it is total fail.