Spelldrinker/Maw: Worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voice of Cthulhu

01-23-2013

I've been playing Jax in 3v3's and Dominion lately. Usually in Dominion, I can start with a straight up Spelldrinker and quickly upgrade to the Maw.

Is it worth it, though? I really like these items, and it helps me alot in 1v1's, but I'm not sure if there aren't better options to rush.

Any comments appreciated.

Edit: Got the name wrong. It's Hexdrinker. Silly me.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Powerful and annoying as heck against a mage, lackluster against others.

It depends on who you see as major threats.

jmlinden7

01-23-2013

Hexdrinker is strong and cost-efficient, Maw isn't. You pay 1900 for like 30 AD, 5 MR, and a slightly stronger shield, and the passive. That 1900 could go to a brutalizer + ruby crystal, or a giant's belt + negatron

Voice of Cthulhu

01-23-2013

The passive alone makes up for most of the lost gold, I think. Especially when you catch a guy going for a point by himself, a gank goes wrong in 3v3, or you are fighting under their tower.

bob000

01-24-2013

hex is strong, maw is terrible

GurkenMAN

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Cthulhu View Post
I've been playing Jax in 3v3's and Dominion lately. Usually in Dominion, I can start with a straight up Spelldrinker and quickly upgrade to the Maw.

Is it worth it, though? I really like these items, and it helps me alot in 1v1's, but I'm not sure if there aren't better options to rush.

Any comments appreciated.

Edit: Got the name wrong. It's Hexdrinker. Silly me.
Maw is slot efficient, Hexi is gold efficient (maybe even too much). But i have no serious complaints about them tbh.

Xela Syab

01-24-2013

Hexdrinker is one of my go to items since Wit's End has become a joke, for bruisers and assassins. Maw isn't so much... usually start building another item like brutalizer, phage, sheen, or zeal.

jmlinden7

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Cthulhu View Post
The passive alone makes up for most of the lost gold, I think. Especially when you catch a guy going for a point by himself, a gank goes wrong in 3v3, or you are fighting under their tower.
Most champions don't have the ability to stay at low-hp for more than a few autos, the extra 40 or so damage that the passive gives you isn't really worth it. Hexdrinker on the other hand is essentially cost-effective without the shield, and the shield puts it over the edge especially since it scales with mr (which it itself gives).