Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I don't understand why I got a permanent ban

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YueienGato

01-25-2013

Quote:
Shiister:
Umm....don't think so.

He got smacked down in another thread by 2 posters who claimed to be lawyers, so yeah dunno.

He keeps bringing it up without any real evidence to support, whereas the other two brought forth convincing arguments.

Just bitter, imo.

Ext3rmin8or

01-25-2013

Quote:
YueienGato:
He got smacked down in another thread by 2 posters who claimed to be lawyers, so yeah dunno.

He keeps bringing it up without any real evidence to support, whereas the other two brought forth convincing arguments.

Just bitter, imo.

Me? I didn't bring it up, I just corrected someone else who said it was fraud.

YueienGato

01-25-2013

You said something along the lines of:

"I wish people wouldn't assume that the TOS is legally binding" or something to that effect.

Two regular posters then came in and corrected you, in which you then gave no comment. Maybe smacked down was a bit hard, but you did get it pointed out that your perspective of what is legally binding what isn't is not accurate.

Ext3rmin8or

01-25-2013

Quote:
Shiister:
Umm....don't think so.

Anyone is allowed to resell any game they bought, except Steam and similar

BillyTheAttorney

01-25-2013

He's partially right. He's right in the sense that "just because it's in the TOS doesn't make it binding." That said, it's rare to find an instance where you find something that isn't legally binding.

i.e. "If you play this game, you agree to give me your first born child" is inherently illegal and therefore void.

But you have to also realize that if the contract is non-binding, then your access to something can also be revoked by the same instance.

i.e. "if you play this game, you agree to give me your first born child" is struck down as non-binding, your access to the game revoked as well. That's the concept of "null and void." Things reset to the moment before the agreement was made. Thus, even if the clause of a contract is voidable (and later becomes such), then what that essentially states is there is no agreement. Not that you are entitled to not pay your side of the agreement and the other side must pay. Essentially it reaches a status of "no contract was ever agreed upon." It's like an imperfect reset button.

It's complicated. But Exterminator is not wrong in his original point that "because it's in the TOS doesn't mean it's binding"

but I don't feel like writing a dissertation on how the "standard of review" fluctuates between something like utilities (most common litigants in these situations, as utilities provide a monopolized necessary service thus their TOS/TOU/Contracts are highly scrutinized because of a lack of available alternatives) vs. a "Free-To-Play Video Game" where there are other market alternatives.

TL;Too Much Legal - Because it's in TOS doesn't make it so, but you have to prove that your fundamental rights were "taken" or you had no choice but to "give" them up. And "I click accept because I have to to play League" doesn't count. Because you have no recognized fundamental right to play a video game.

5KB KenG

01-25-2013

Op? Any updates?

5KB KenG

01-26-2013

Op? This cant be good.

BillyTheAttorney

01-26-2013

Either he's still waiting - or he got his answer and probably doesn't care to share what the ban is supposedly for because embarassing/exploit/Manti Te'o.

PaRaDoXaL 2

01-26-2013

2499 ban is pretty much a toxic verbal abuse ban from what i understand. and is issued by a riot employee. i believe all permabans are reviewed by a riot employee so there is prob no mistake on your ban. you have to get pretty graphic with your verbal harassment to get this ban not just a few swear words will get you this, you need to get mid evil with your toxic language.

BillyTheAttorney

01-26-2013

So a 2499 ban might be screen shot support manual ban?