Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Suggestion] Summoner Disconnection Issue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silverrun

01-23-2013

Hey I'm Silverrun in game and I'm new to these forums. In order to get this out of the way let me start by saying I am not sure if I am posting these ideas in the wrong section or if these ideas have been suggested multiple times so forgive me if they have. I'm fairly new to LoL however the thing that has been bothering me is that usually when I do PvP matches either early or mid game a summoner on my team disconnects either unintentionally or because they weren't getting their way or pure frustration but it usually costs me the match.

Anyway let me get to my ideas.

My 1st idea is that when a summoner on your team D/C' their champion is replaced with a bot. Now I don't know how hard this would be to implement or what difficulty the bot should be set on so I'll leave the idea there since it pretty much speaks for itself.

If the 1st idea is hard to implement then I suggest a team buff of some sort if a summoner d/c. Maybe +5% arnor penetration +5% magic resist for every summoner that d/c. So for example if its a 5v5 on summoners rift and on one team 2 summoners d/c the remaining 3 summoner's each get +10% armor penetration +10% magic resist.

Would summoners be able to come back if they disconnected? If this idea was implemented I would say no but again if you don't like or agree with this idea please feel free to share why you don't like it or agree baring in mind I am new to this forum and game.

If you feel this wouldn't work in game please explain to me why or why it shouldn't be implemented. Also I understand that some champions would benefit to much from this etc.
If I have posted in the wrong section please redirect me as I am new to these forums.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-23-2013

Trust me, this has been thought of before. A lot. More than a lot. All of the lot.

Short version, giving people who disconnect the finger (which is what you're doing), sucks. Besides that, giving people an advantage for having a leaver can very easily lead to trying to get people to leave for said advantage. Bots don't work because quite frankly, it's impossible to get a bot that can accurately replace a player (and to be fair, bots kind of cheat).

Silverrun

01-24-2013

Not really i believe most d/c are due to people intentionally doing so an a buff would help again the buff wouldn't have to be set so high but enough so that a team would be able to survive a 4 v 5.

As far as bots go that doesn't really matter if they can play accurately or not. It's better than nothing right? An I guess it depends on the type of bot because beginner bots are pretty logic once they come in range of turret they turn back or usually leave you alone if you run through a brush.

However I see your points. As to getting people to leave there is a mute option correct, I don't think a team would play badly or allow a teammate to feed the other team until they finally decide to leave and give up the buff.

Cheshire Lunacy

01-24-2013

a better option is if a player rage quits or dc do to bad connection or no server for there area is to have an auto replacer, have the lost playerbe replaced by a nother player. cause lets face it leaver buster while usefull is only usefull at preventing habitual leavers, a team thats lost a player or two is still at a dissadvantige unless an nother player is able to be qued into that match thus allowing the match to finish with a full team each side

while dc issues or rage quiters will always be an issue no matter how many of them get perma bans they will always be in the game and thus always putting a team at disadvantige

thus replacing the player instead of letting the team suffer lost game (or a surprise win througyh skill and determination) is more necisary then banning players with horible conections/ bad tempers

cause lets faace it this is a game where tempers will flare and if someone has come to the point the realize they are to flustered to continue playing with a team and their meer pressence would end up being more of a moral killer then just exiting game and removing them selves from a situation i feel even though i am not at a dissadvantige this match i am more less at a greater advantage because the person who know they were to angry to play and knew do to their current stress level would only end up feeding the other teem from being angry and making dumb mistakes from their anger

thus just replacing the player is more usefull then banning a player who took a mature adult rout and said "guys i love you all but im to angry to be of any help in this match sorry"

replace the players instead of blocking them (and for d/c issues for glods sake make an oceanic server players from places like new zeeland/australia are not only unable to play propperly they put their teems at a disadvantage because they are likely to get dc'ed from the fact the fa4rtehr away the computer is to the server the longer the conection takes to get to said server)

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-24-2013

@'auto replacement'

This is actually worse. You need to find a player who wants to play that champion, and owns that champion and all of the runes he has. You then need the player to be okay with the items he build (not even things like AD/AP or bruiser/squishy, but you can have a variety of build paths within each role's items, RoA vs DCap first for instance). You also need to get someone who is okay with hopping into a game they have no idea how it's going. Considering most people leave whenever things aren't going well, this is highly unlikely to happen.

Throwing someone into the game without telling them beforehand, is just a dick move.

Cheshire Lunacy

01-24-2013

Quote:
Panzerfaust:
@'auto replacement'

This is actually worse. You need to find a player who wants to play that champion, and owns that champion and all of the runes he has. You then need the player to be okay with the items he build (not even things like AD/AP or bruiser/squishy, but you can have a variety of build paths within each role's items, RoA vs DCap first for instance). You also need to get someone who is okay with hopping into a game they have no idea how it's going. Considering most people leave whenever things aren't going well, this is highly unlikely to happen.

Throwing someone into the game without telling them beforehand, is just a dick move.

a dick move maybe, but compared to a team permently being out numbered from lack of players it is better then having no advantige at all

compared to a bot replacement an actual player replacement works better

a player can quickly see whats going on in the game and come up with a play style to macth it and thus aid the team they are being thrown in with a victory rather then a deffeet from being outnumbered

if you understand the idea behind auto replacement you understand a team is better off with an auto replacement then playing 3v5 in a game.

yes it could suck compared to not having someone rage quit at all, but comeone when someone leaves whether leaverbuster punishes them or not the team they left behind is still completely at a complete disadvantage to the full team they are playing against

auto filling the lost player fixes a dissadvantige that would other wise cost a team a game

people in Blizzard's game WoW had the same worries and discression you have when dungeon finder was innitated. an auto fill is better then a no fill at all

in bot matches maybe a team can have victory when someone left or conectivity issues cause them to be unable to play the rest of the match

but when you hit pvp games where theres real people on the other side that three people don't have a chance in hell to beat from a team numbers disadvantige there has to be a system put in place to replace what is lost

if you punsih the dc'ers great, but why are we punishing the players who stuck with the figh by keeping them at a premenent dissadvantige with team numbers

hey what if 4 players rage quite and there is now just one player going up at a now greatly advantaged team of five v one

a person going into a game already in process to fill a players spot who has left the game is better cause

have you ever tried to fight a team of players that outnumbered you?

face it panzer, its either auto fill the team so the team that lost players still has a fighting chance or just make it so matches in pvp and elo are team mode only. cause why should a team suffer lack of players? again auto fill while you feel is a dick move, is a better move the leaving a team with a permenent handi cap from lack of players

if you don't want a player being force into a match thats already in? give the team a bot or a minor buff to give them a fighting chance against a team that now greatly out numbers them

any way you put your pencil on the eqaution if a player leaves a match for what ever reason the team that they left needs to be given something (auto fill bot player, a buff) to give them a chance at still finishing the game in victory

banning players who leave is great. but why are we making the players they left be punished. should they not be given a chance to victory? is leaving them at a disadvantage from a nother players bad decision (or in some cases responsable adault choice) more of a dick move to say a player who is now being put in to bulster up a team?

its a team game, you have said that your self

the good of the one does not out match the good of the many

I say the team ranks higher in priorities then som eone filling a lost role. and if the filler is as good of a teamm player as everyone says is in this game they will undoubtably play the game

and who knwos if a player puts in an auto fill the game can give them and end game bonus win or loss for helping a dissadvantaged team

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-24-2013

Those are far from the only two options out there...

You can also punish leavers more harshly. You could also, although I don't agree with it, increase the IP gained by those in a game with a leaver. You could reduce the time before they can surrender. You could do plenty of things, but saying 'ONLY A OR B' is rather shortsighted.

'A player can quickly see...'
1) Again, the majority of leaves are when their team, or more specifically the player, is behind. Whether this is because they're frustrated or their team is raging at them, you're sticking a player who queued up for a fresh game into a losing battle. Actual disconnects due to technical difficulty are far more rare than you either believe or are implying.

2) Your Yi left. I join a game, and get stuck playing Yi. I don't actually play Yi, I suck at him, in fact I'm probably worse for your team than having no player, because I have so little idea how to play him that I can't make proper judgements. Hell, I might not even have played Yi before, only picking him up to trade with my buddy in draft.

3) Your Yi left. I only play AP Yi, but your Yi went AD. Well ****, I'm out of luck. Either I force AP and set myself behind (as well as missing out on runes and masteries), or I try playing AD, which I've never done before.

TL;DR: I realize you dislike the scenario where there is a leaver. Let's face it, we all do. What I don't get, is why you insist on taking various things for granted without ever even beginning to formulate an argument for them. " 'A -> C' is true, therefore B" makes no sense, but it's exactly what you're trying to do.

Cheshire Lunacy

01-24-2013

think of auto fill this way, you have a clock, a gear pops out bent all out of shape and no way to get back in and work, sure you could just leave that clock with out its neciary gear or you know you could replace said gear so the clock can get back to work and keep time

If a clocks gear is broken and missing, you do not throw out the clock and the gear, you fix the clock by putting in a new gear.

auto fill works just that way

as far as runes for that char and class

if someone is put into an auto fill position they could be given a temp rune set /mastery page for a pre designed champ heck when you hit begin game you could put a tick in a check box to say "yes i am willing to help out a team with missing members." clicking said box could give you a benifit over people who don't click it with things like extra ip per win/loss a couple rp points per win or even an achivejment or forum badge

you say a dick move? i say an excelent chance to adding a game feature that will bring forth a happier community.

you know what is a dick move though? a team wich now has not enough players to suport it and being punished for someone elses problem
thats not only a dick move its an abonishment.

throw out the missing gear not the clock as a whole.

Cheshire Lunacy

01-24-2013

Quote:
Panzerfaust:
Those are far from the only two options out there...

You can also punish leavers more harshly. You could also, although I don't agree with it, increase the IP gained by those in a game with a leaver. You could reduce the time before they can surrender. You could do plenty of things, but saying 'ONLY A OR B' is rather shortsighted.

'A player can quickly see...'
1) Again, the majority of leaves are when their team, or more specifically the player, is behind. Whether this is because they're frustrated or their team is raging at them, you're sticking a player who queued up for a fresh game into a losing battle. Actual disconnects due to technical difficulty are far more rare than you either believe or are implying.

2) Your Yi left. I join a game, and get stuck playing Yi. I don't actually play Yi, I suck at him, in fact I'm probably worse for your team than having no player, because I have so little idea how to play him that I can't make proper judgements. Hell, I might not even have played Yi before, only picking him up to trade with my buddy in draft.

3) Your Yi left. I only play AP Yi, but your Yi went AD. Well ****, I'm out of luck. Either I force AP and set myself behind (as well as missing out on runes and masteries), or I try playing AD, which I've never done before.

TL;DR: I realize you dislike the scenario where there is a leaver. Let's face it, we all do. What I don't get, is why you insist on taking various things for granted without ever even beginning to formulate an argument for them. " 'A -> C' is true, therefore B" makes no sense, but it's exactly what you're trying to do.

because the team that lost a player shouldnt be left to suffer.

if not an auto fill give them a situational buff that is comparable. the mechanics in the game do not alow for a disadvantige team to have any sucsess in these situations

why should a team suffer for someone elses bad decision

an auto fill doesnt have to be the player that lefts champ

an auto filler can fill ranked games in a champ they are either used to or have skill in by haveing an out of game auto fill champ/role priorty list

black list yi if you know you have no skill in yi suport

chancers are if someone grabbed an auto fill roll whether they excelled in that roll champ or not

its gona be hugely better then having a team with less players, whether the replace char takes the roll the leaver had or not, a team should not in any way suffer for someone leaving

you invoke harsher penitlies for leaving? great people will still leave connection breakages happen people rage what ever there is still now a team in a match with a missing player suffering

punishing the leaver is great but punishing the team they left is not helpfull a ranked solo match is still gonna get an elo drop when theyve lost a match givging them something so they can quite possibly stand a chance wheter its someone who has auto filled that spot or just finding a way to give the team a chance at a win is ten times better then a team getting losses cause they dont have a team.

uits a team game again. if there is a missing team member there is no team

auto fills arnt bad in anyway shape or form espcially when it carries its own reward

and besides playing a champ or class yo have a hard time with? to me thats a chalance accepted. this is a tournement/ arena game its not a easystreek get used to one champ for ever and never learn another

besides most ranked players have alreay learned a majorty of champs roles have a vast selection of runes, several mastery types

again if auto fill doesnt do the trick something has to give the leavers team some sort of ability to finish the game.

theres no reasons to punish a victem of a leaver by leaving them at a loss in rank

again team game. if you can't learn to play a wide variety of rolls in a ranked game then there is no reason to be playing ranked games

any ways i will buck off here as we are clearly at an impass

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-24-2013

Here's a really, really important thing to consider. Why does it feel good to win? Because you and 4 people around your skill level went into a fair fight against 5 people around your skill level and managed to beat them. Anything that makes it not a fair fight anymore ruins that feeling a bit. That's why it doesn't feel as good to win a 4v5.

If someone on the enemy team disconnects and they get a team buff, and then you beat them, how do you feel? Do you feel like you won a fair fight? Or do you feel like "Maybe we only won because the buff isn't enough to make up for an extra player"? If someone on the enemy team disconnects and they get a team buff, and then they beat you, how do you feel? Do you feel like they legitimately beat you? Or do you feel like "Maybe we only lost because that buff is unfairly overpowered"?

Same deal with a replacement player. If your opponents have a dc and after 5 minutes they're replaced with someone else, and then you beat them, you don't feel like you won a fair fight.

A 4v5 fight isn't fair. But if you apply a change mid-game in an attempt to push things back into balance, it gives both sides an opportunity to believe that their side is at a disadvantage. I believe it's better to just admit that it isn't fair, surrender, say "bg" "sorry for your leaver" and move on to the next match.