Need help understanding the game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

itsraaalphieee

01-23-2013

Hello, fellow summoners!

I have been playing for a few days and need some help with a few things.

First of all, what are the differences between top, middle, and bottom lanes? Why can't every champion play every lane? Is there a difference? (e.g, Ashe in the middle as opposed to the bottom)

Second, I really need some help understanding the roles of champions. It would mean a great deal to me if you could please help explain the following "roles", as well as suggest a champion that can play that role.

Tank:
Assassin:
Mage:
AD/AP Carry:
Jungler:
Fighter:
Support:

Any advice/information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Shottymaster

01-23-2013

The lane positions are related to the neutral monster camps nearby.

Mid lane is the shortest and has access to blue buff and both side lanes easily, so mid lane is usually either a utility-based mage (such as Anivia or Orianna), a burst mage (Ryze, Karthus), or an assassin that will repeatedly gank side lanes (Kassadin, Talon, Evelynn).

Bottom lane is a an AD carry with a support to help them through lane phase. This is a duo lane to make sure the ADC doesn't get shut down in lane and become useless. Late in the game, the ADC is extremely important so you want them to have the best possible chance to carry your late team fights. The dragon is in close proximity to bot lane, so the AD carry generally goes there so that at a moment's notice he can help with Dragon or fight the enemy as they try.

With all that pressure on bot lane, top lane is rather secluded for a while. As such, most tops are strong duelists (champions that excel at fighting to the death, like Jax or Lee Sin) with some form of sustain to help them muscle through enemy poke. These are generally champions that will snowball with kills and scale well into late game (be it through damage, durability, utility, or a combination of the three) and will either dive the enemy carries or protect their own.

As for the roles:
Tank: A champion that builds primarily defenses and has heavy amounts of CC (Crowd control). These champions are generally responsible for initiating team fights due to being able to disrupt the enemy positioning and soak initial damage so that his team doesn't die instantly. Example: Leona

Assassin: Polar opposite of a tank, these champions excel as 1v1 fights to the death through heavy single-target burst damage. They tend to be rather squishy, although some can afford to sacrifice some damage for some defensive stats. Example: Kha'Zix

Mage: As you'd expect, mages specialize in magic damage from utilizing their skills. They build AP and generally have respectably strong AOE damage. They are strongest mid-game, and start to drop off later on when the AD carry becomes the primary damage dealer. Example: Ziggs

AD Carry: A staple in late-game teamfights, AD carries scale extremely well with attack speed, attack damage, and critical chance/damage. They rely on auto attacks for crippling amounts of damage later on in the game. Example: Kog'Maw

AP Carry: Mage

Jungler: Junglers kill the neutral monsters in between lanes for several reasons. This lets them apply pressure all over the map, gives top lane a solo lane for faster leveling, and (most importantly) secures neutral buffs and map objectives (Dragon, Baron). Example: Maokai

Fighter: Usually tanky champions that would be suitable top-laners due to good damage and some sort of sustain. See description of top lane for more of an idea. Example: Dr. Mundo

Support: Characters with team-oriented spells (heals, buffs) that don't scale well with items, and as such do not need minion kills to be effective. Example: Soraka

There are many champions that cannot be limited to one category and are much better described with two tags, such as Leona. She plays as an aggressive support in lane but transitions to an initiator later on. For another example, Lee Sin bridges the gap between assassins and fighters. He dominates early through heavy burst damage and builds quite tanky later when his damage starts to drop off due to mages and ADCs scaling better. His late-game damage is still quite respectable but he can't dive the entire enemy team like a tank would.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-23-2013

Quick side note. The 'role' tags given to champions by Riot aren't set in stone. First, sometimes a champion has been changed since the time they were given the tags. There are also champs that can be played multiple ways. And sometimes Riot is just flat out wrong.

itsraaalphieee

01-23-2013

Thank you so much! Definitely more information than I expected. Helps a ton

Vieryn

01-23-2013

I would love to help you out in game we could play a few bot games together and push a lane so you can figure out the mechanics. It can be intimidating playing because unfortunately some people can be toxic, but if you want help or just someone to start out with, feel free to add me.

I play something of a cross between a tank and a fighter, but I can help you with ranged as well.