Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to deal with tanks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoltaireLeone

01-23-2013

How to deal with tanky champs as ap? I often play as ap Twisted Fate and I've often found my downfall to be not being able to deal with 3 tanks coming my lane. What should I do when the enemy team is all/mostly tanks and my team is two ranged and three melees?

LAS Dangler

01-23-2013

1, beat them before they get tanky. if you can.
2, as an ap, just worry about killing the enemy adc. try to survive afterwards and throw skill shots back into the fight, but dont worry if you die, your team should be able to clean up. if you play someone bursty and burst out their carry from the start, and your own adc doesntdie in the process, you probably win the team fight, unless if the enemy is fed too much.

Sereg Anfaug

01-23-2013

Deathfire Grasp, Liandry's Torment, Lichbane(or other spellblade items, like Triforce, Iceborn Gauntlet) will add to your burst, shred max HP, and increase your AA damage, respectively.

Jacob Grimm

01-23-2013

If your playing AP TF then your job is not the tanks, avoid them at all cost. Your job (as mentioned above) is to take out the enemies ADC. Your Support or CC should be handling the tanks while your team focuses down the enemy ADC, AP Assasins, etc. Tanks get the dead last. If you focus them first, well then just you die and your team loses.

Luucidx

01-24-2013

1. Abyssal Scepter, Void Staff, Liandry's Torment, Deathfire Grasp, Sorcerer's Boots. If they build magic resists, you build magic penetration. Take summoner spell Flash to reposition yourself and Zhonya's Hourglass active when you start to get focused by the enemy team. If you are still in the laning phase or trying to defend your tower/inhibitor. Play it safe and stay near tower range and if they appear to have the intention to tower dive or push with success on their favor. Either call teammates for assistance before it happens or retreat. Better to lose a tower or inhibitor than to give them that plus a kill that will go funding their entire team.

2. Farm up creep and jungle kills, build items appropriately. Burst and shut down on opportunity.

3. Team focus.

As what a few others have pointed out, you should be focusing on the opposing team's AP carry/AD carry as priority. If teamfights are absolutely not in your favor, catch them out of position (that is what Twisted Fate does best) and pick them off one by one until teamfights are in your favor then force it or take objectives. If anything, backdoor for the win.

If anything, play what your team needs if you can. If you team lacks a tank, go Galio/Cho'Gath/Sion/Mordekaiser/Rumble etc.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

01-24-2013

To be honest with you the current meta is rush a warmogs or play champs who can scale with hp.

and if you send one mid, the ap mid will cry. since his entire burst combo will merely tickle, and he is very prone to go out of mana. while the other guy can hurt him back good still.

but there is measures you can take as the mage. get items that shred hp like laundry's tourment, and death fire grasp. also penetrations like sorcerer's boots and voidstaff.

Forchark

01-24-2013

Quote:
VoltaireLeone:
How to deal with tanky champs as ap? I often play as ap Twisted Fate and I've often found my downfall to be not being able to deal with 3 tanks coming my lane. What should I do when the enemy team is all/mostly tanks and my team is two ranged and three melees?

Usually I am on Fizz, so I have rend...However, one of the best anti high hp items you should buy into then finally purchase mid game is the blackfire torch (3v3) and Liandry's Torment (5v5).

Back in the day, I thought pure AP was the way to go. I would buy cooldown shoes and the like and just throw damage that way. You don't want to do this because of all the passives and some actives (like the voodoo doll ap item where the name escapes me) that aid against high hp/high mag res. straight ap does no good when there is base, armor granted, and rune granted mag res. Still buy the deathcap, mainly for the 25% passive, but don't forget your archangels and blackfire. And buy the cap later (in 5v5) and slightly after mid game (in 3v3). The ap bonus is not as beneficial, circumstantially, as other items mentioned. 100 less ap with penetration is better than 100 more ap that is defended against per percentage. (Mag res and armor don't straight, flat reduce damage incoming. They reduce through a percentage, so that small mag res number is bigger than you think.)

Instead, buy the fiendish codex so you have cooldown reduction, then buy sorcerer boots. If you have some more trouble than it is worth, buy a void staff and abyssal scepter (abyssal if you are taking more damage from ap than you want).

Take your time with them. Every tank is overconfident. By the time you dance around them and get them to half, then wait for your cooldowns and go for it. Here, you don't have to be afraid of using ignite early to help with damage output. That way, the tank will want to run sooner than attempt to win hand to hand.

chris2423

01-24-2013

as AP twisted fate, really all u need to do is wait for a teamfight, and the ult next to the adc and hopefully u can burst him down before his team jumps on you. at lower levels players probably wont even notice you, at higher levels youll have 3-4 enemies on u within a second, at which point u just start kiting away hitting them with every cooldown.

TF's strength though is not in teamfights, it is a global presence. the way u win with tf is ganking often with your ult, turning a 2v2 lane into a 2v3 or 2v4 if your jungler ganks too. see an ally engage? ult and secure the kill. ally gets ganked? countergank.

ofcourse be careful not to ult into losing fights and just give up more kills.

apidaeian

01-24-2013

There's not much to do with tankies such as Cho Gath or Singed but to ignore them and jump on to the real damage dealers, as and AP carry, as stated, you should focus their ADC or AP carry, kill them quickly.

To burst a tanky down, I personally recommend DFG, although that depends on the champion you are using, it gives a really nice 100 AP plus CDR , use it to initiate and your incoming magic damage (from you and your teammates) will do increased damage. I feel Liandry fails at bursting them down since it does 5% dmg from their Current health, which makes it less eficient as they go lower, although they will go lower faster, that's true...

No matter what, you should never focus a tank in teamfights though

Distrez

01-24-2013

Alright well besides what everyone else said with focusing adcs and aps, your question is how to deal with 3 tanks in your lane or against a tank itself. A tank would have magic resist and hp so try building Ability penetration for example : Magic pen boots, liandrys, void staff

Second thing to do would be to Kite, meaning to hit and move away from them and the best way to kite is have higher movement speed or have a slow, rylias is a good item for Ap.

Hope this helped
http://www.twitch.tv/distrez <check me out sometime