Thresh is getting complained about and failing hard

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThaT FaTKiD

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
His Q active is the only complaint I have about him.

It has a big cast delay, has a slow projectile speed, has a **** AP ratio, has a **** base damage, self suppresses, and has a long CD.

If you compare the ability to Amumu's bandage toss, Amumu's ability is better in all catagories and does a similar thing to thresh's q.

Now given, Thresh's has a passive, and he has options that Amumu's doesn't. So I'm not saying that Thresh should be buffed in all the ways I mentioned.

But I will say that Thresh's Q is JUST as important to land as Amumu's Q for the sake of his kit working. But it's three times as hard (at least) to land, half as rewarding, and twice as punishing if you don't land it.

EDIT: also... comparing him to amumu is like comparing nami to swain..similar kits... totally different roles... thresh is not a carry not a mid not an adc... hes a tank/supp.. just like leona he fills 2 roles with a huge amount of peel

well yes... but i dont use thresh to do dmg.... thats what my adc is for... i play tanks to peel and disrupt... IMO garen is a **** tank.. has no peel... woohoo mary-go-round with a silence...i use thresh's kit as a disruption like ali's kit i get in the fight.. i cause as much havoc as i can and if i need to i can peel assassins off my carries and lock theirs up for a considerable amount of time... dmg means nothing to me when i can lock a team up for the 10 secs to melt the important targets...

Yami arashi

01-25-2013

So, am i the only one getting good teams, who where i MUST priorize lantern for its cd and shield for teammates? XD
The escenario is, engage Q, use E in enemy in ur teams direction, R to catch 1 or 2... al the team if possible xd, then get away from the focus and toss lantern= a great initiation, they focus u, u disengage, the u shield em all, then the lowest hp on ur team clicks the lantern to fight from the back... RESULT=ACE n.n, it has worked 8 from 12 matches already

Yami arashi

01-25-2013

U guys are all looking for dmg, lantern can collect souls, but thresh has no dmg, build him HP, them some mr he scales armor inhately, after 35-40 mins in game he is inmortal .-.

ThaT FaTKiD

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami arashi View Post
So, am i the only one getting good teams, who where i MUST priorize lantern for its cd and shield for teammates? XD
The escenario is, engage Q, use E in enemy in ur teams direction, R to catch 1 or 2... al the team if possible xd, then get away from the focus and toss lantern= a great initiation, they focus u, u disengage, the u shield em all, then the lowest hp on ur team clicks the lantern to fight from the back... RESULT=ACE n.n, it has worked 8 from 12 matches already

thats exactly what i do and what im saying... everyone thinks for some reason when a new champ comes out... they are full blown retarded at everything and the whole "zomg so much op dmg from new champ <3" is getting annoying and well.... old

Lancang

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
He's already pinned down as a support like Taric/Leona.

Are people seriously trying to build him as an AP mage or AD carry?

On an unrelated note Jungle Taric is fun.
Theres no right way on how to play a certain champ, some say hes good support, some say adc, some say top, its your opinion but don't criticize on how people play him.

I Am Legend 559

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

if you play Leona or Taric you will know he falls short in just about every category that is listed. Yes you build him tank, but his play requires you to never be in team fights his gimmick is his lantern, yes initiate in large team fights drop lantern then run and hope your team is smart enough to use it.

Bot laning his support role is horrible, people call out his damage because for what he offers it seems as though he should offer some good harass, he offers no sustain, can't be ahead of your carry if they want a shield or be able to port to you, the concept is get the enemy team out of position but it's rather your team or you have to be out of position for him to work effectively the more so they are out of position the better.... which lead me to believe that in high elo play or just skilled elo play that wont happen much.

As people have stated HIS Q NEEDS WORK!!!! it's pathetic, id consider myself far above average when it comes to skills shots and predicting enemy movements, ahri, karth, blitz, Leona, jayce, elise, mumu, draven, EZ, and many others are champs I play regularly and landing his skill shot Q is the hardest most ignorant mechanic I've seen, you cant land it against anyone who isn't a brain dead paraplegic, and then if they have boots of any kind its GG.

He had latency, cast times, and large cooldowns that hinder him from being a fluent champion, Q's projectile speed needs to double if they aren't going to increase the width, to get to its max range takes like 2.5 secs you can literally follow it with your eyes from point to point.

HiddenFlames

01-25-2013

I find Tresh to be an excellent top, only problem with him going top his that he's more of an tanky bruiser. He's like a blitz that can top. Not to mention making it easier for jungle to gank top. And yes i've had a couple ranked games with him. Just cant figure if i got a good build order going for him. (pwns Darius)

Minos157

01-25-2013

Lots of complicated well thought out responses on here, I have a really easy answer to people who think Thresh sucks.

HE IS A SUPPORT CHAMPION!!!

How many people bought him and don't main support? Probably close to all of them. He was built as a support champion and is meant to be played as a support champion. If you are a really good player at innovation of roles you can be successful with him anywhere im sure (See Froggen playing mid pantheon last wednesday). But for the normal player you won't win him top or mid, he isn't made for that.

To the complaints?

He has **** damage late game with his Q! So what IDC how much damage Blitzcranks Q does, so I don't care how much Thresh's Q does, I only care that I CC opponents while my team mates roflstomp them and I rack up tons of assists like a good support should.

Lantern is only good with coordinated teams and is a gimmick! Is Singed tossing opponents a gimmick? Is Using Amumu and Kat, or MF and Sona a gimmick? Those only work with coordinated teams too right? My point is made. Also its a shield, you know like a good support should have, like Janna, except that instead of adding AD it offers an escape mechanism, like a support, have I said support enough?? HE IS A SUPPORT!!!

He falls of late game hard!!! No he doesn't, you built him as a support, you can't 1v1 anyone except maybe that other support over there, he needs a team to help him get kills, sounds like....drum roll A SUPPORT!!! Novel concept.

I think I have made my point that Thresh is a support. If you main support, like I do, and have played Thresh you understand that he is extremely viable and a great asset to any team, even in solo queue and will find his Niche ADC to dominate with (MF/Sona, Cait/Nunu, Taric/Graves). So far I have found him best with Vayne, and Draven, who can punish people the longer they hit them (Comboing Q and E pulls help sustain damage time).

He has:
A pull, also doubles as a good initiate since you can get to them ala Naut.
A shield, also doubles as escape mechanism or ganking tool.
Another pull, also doubles as escape mechanism knock back.
A huge slow, also great initiation tool/escape mechanism.

He is a great support, I love him to death, he is a support.

P.S. HE IS A SUPPORT!

Have I gotten my point across, the answer is simple, learn how to be a good support and you will not hate him anymore, at all.

P.P.S. I will say his q is slow and thin but I seem to have the same hit/miss ratio as Blitz's Q so it doesn't bother me.

Evangel

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend 559 View Post
if you play Leona or Taric you will know he falls short in just about every category that is listed. Yes you build him tank, but his play requires you to never be in team fights his gimmick is his lantern, yes initiate in large team fights drop lantern then run and hope your team is smart enough to use it.

Bot laning his support role is horrible, people call out his damage because for what he offers it seems as though he should offer some good harass, he offers no sustain, can't be ahead of your carry if they want a shield or be able to port to you, the concept is get the enemy team out of position but it's rather your team or you have to be out of position for him to work effectively the more so they are out of position the better.... which lead me to believe that in high elo play or just skilled elo play that wont happen much.

As people have stated HIS Q NEEDS WORK!!!! it's pathetic, id consider myself far above average when it comes to skills shots and predicting enemy movements, ahri, karth, blitz, Leona, jayce, elise, mumu, draven, EZ, and many others are champs I play regularly and landing his skill shot Q is the hardest most ignorant mechanic I've seen, you cant land it against anyone who isn't a brain dead paraplegic, and then if they have boots of any kind its GG.

He had latency, cast times, and large cooldowns that hinder him from being a fluent champion, Q's projectile speed needs to double if they aren't going to increase the width, to get to its max range takes like 2.5 secs you can literally follow it with your eyes from point to point.
1: If you had watched the champion spotlight you would have realized with all the armor Phreak was putting on his runes
(A) The flat armor ratios were designed for the ultimate early game tower dive efficiency
(B) Throw the lantern behind you to your carry so they can cs while you zone your opponents, the Q is devastating when landed shortly thereafter and your carry can follow up on your movements without having the cockblock of the opponents standing on the lantern making your teammates unable to right click the lantern

2: You are a ranged tank! Auto them from range and when a squishy comes in at a weird angle Q to pull twice then Q again to leap on them and you have instantaneously begun a teamfight your team has a high chance of winning if you land a good flail. Then you box the carry as the other team will try saving their adc. After the boxing madness has begun you will slowly get focused down but before you go down you can land one more immobilizing Q (hopefully the mid champion at this point if the adc is down if not adc) controlling the damage. If it is mid game and teamfight phase let your team know you plan on waiting on the right pull and ping who you'd like it to be, if you cant get that one pull then go for the next best target as any initiation with a good team can have serious follow up capabilities.

3: I found that his Q is different than most skillshots. It has higher range than a blitzcrank grab by like 50-100 I think ( correct me if I'm inaccurate there ) as you can pull people from beyond the fog of war, which if you're doing your job as a support means that you've cleared a ward or 2, allowing initiates from long range and pulling them closer. I've noticed the farther away the opponent the more power thresh seems to use to pull them out of position (once again could be wrong, may just be psychological after landing so many). It does have a slow windup time but if used efficiently in the early game with some hard zoning then the enemy bot lane will be scared ****less of the power that is the almighty warden Thresh. It took me 3 games of support before I understood the concept of how to use his Q, it is a skillshot you will miss, you will sometimes miss horribly, but so long as you land the clutch Q and get a good initiate then you have done your job as support. Oh did I mention the over the wall pulls are possible?

4: This is possibly the most balanced new champion I have ever seen Riot come out with. His damage is high enough to zone but not so much that it's ridiculous or OP. The autoattack does have an indicator that allows you to know when max damage is available, it is the little chained casket icon above the health bar and goes from a light blue, green, brown, red combination in order of damage. (response to prior comment I cannot remember who made it though) The ratios from the passive are enough to make him viable late game but not so strong that he's unstoppable (course I've only maintained an average of 100-150 souls a game before the surrender votes). The Flail is a disrupt that is a bit sticky to land on smart cast but about the same difficulty as the Alistar Headbutt, Pulverize combination on smart cast.

Try this mindset and maybe Thresh will come into a different light for you as something that requires a different mindset than Leona or Taric. If not hey to each their own right, besides there's the refund button for a reason but I don't see the reason in doing that one of your friends might want to play him sometime and swap with you. Lastly I agree with Minos157 that he is in fact a support champion but I have played him top with some mixed results so there may be a spot there for him as well. He just came out experiment with things and find a playstyle with him that suits you and the needs of your team.

Eléanor

01-26-2013

I'd like to add a few more things to what you said Evangel. Also yes the range on his Q seems quite far.

Grabbing someone when running away isn't a suicidal move it's the only grab that you can use during a retreat. It pulls them towards you but at a slower rate than most champions move speeds so it's effective as a slow as well. You can also run away while he's dragging them so you aren't putting yourself in danger as long as you used it soon enough.