Thresh is getting complained about and failing hard

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peligrad

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
As for viability, im predicting he will not be viable in his current state and his lategame will not be impressive enough to really dictate which way the game goes
I like him so far.

He makes for a very very good aggressive support.

His scaling is pretty bi-polar. Completely depending on how well you do in lane phase, and how long lane phase lasts.

Once junglers learn how to approach a lane with a thresh for ganking, he's gonna be hate banned I'm sure.

If anything, he's too strong right now.

But its got more to do with his enabling and disabling ability than infinite scaling or uber dps.

I will say that I'm very impressed with how much damage he can do early on though.

He brings great disable and consistent AoE interrupts.

Along with get out of jail free card for a carry.

Great gank support.

Great early poke.

His box is really strong for escaping and chasing....

I like him.

RadiantPyrophore

01-24-2013

I think he's actually going to be a massive item for turret diving, that lantern is crazy awesome for getting away scott free with dives. At level 3 it's pretty much like a fizzpole getting you out with no damage taken. OF course, Thresh can't go all the way in if he wants his ally to get all the way out...

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
I like him so far.

He makes for a very very good aggressive support.

His scaling is pretty bi-polar. Completely depending on how well you do in lane phase, and how long lane phase lasts.

Once junglers learn how to approach a lane with a thresh for ganking, he's gonna be hate banned I'm sure.

If anything, he's too strong right now.

But its got more to do with his enabling and disabling ability than infinite scaling or uber dps.

I will say that I'm very impressed with how much damage he can do early on though.

He brings great disable and consistent AoE interrupts.

Along with get out of jail free card for a carry.

Great gank support.

Great early poke.

His box is really strong for escaping and chasing....

I like him.
I like him too but I'm still not seeing what all the downvotes are for lol. Does saying his current state wont be considered viable seem too selffulfilling or did he already see highlevel play?

Peligrad

01-25-2013

I see him in the feature plat streams pretty often.

He's a good asset to a team comp.

He definitely works best with certain ADCs and certain junglers.

If you have a passive ADC, don't go Thresh. That's someone like Ashe who doesn't typically get kills or poke well early on.

If you have a jungler with great initiate already, don't go Thresh. That's like Maok, or Noct who has no issues closing...

But if you have say, an MF and an Udyr. OH GAWDS Thresh is ridiculously good.

MF's damage + Thresh poke = strong lane

Udyr's powerhouse of pain at melee range + lantern to instantly close = super deadly ganks.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-25-2013

Quote:
I see him in the feature plat streams pretty often.

He's a good asset to a team comp.

He definitely works best with certain ADCs and certain junglers.

If you have a passive ADC, don't go Thresh. That's someone like Ashe who doesn't typically get kills or poke well early on.

If you have a jungler with great initiate already, don't go Thresh. That's like Maok, or Noct who has no issues closing...

But if you have say, an MF and an Udyr. OH GAWDS Thresh is ridiculously good.

MF's damage + Thresh poke = strong lane

Udyr's powerhouse of pain at melee range + lantern to instantly close = super deadly ganks.
To me this says "not terribly viable but opens up some gimicky strategies for people like the m5 guy who made AP yi so popular"

Peligrad

01-25-2013

What?

No character is really strong without a team that complements them...

Nunu sucks as a support if you stick him with a graves or Ez.

No synergy at all.

Doesn't mean Nunu isn't a viable support.

Stick him with cait and watch towers falls...

Bottom lane is all about synergy.

Alistar + Trist or MF

Taric + Graves

Nunu + Cait

Lulu + Ez

Blitz + Cait

You get champs that combo well...

Same with your jungler... You get a support with CC if you have a jungler that has issues closing.

You get a sustain support if you get a jungler who is more about counter jungling and farming.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-25-2013

Quote:
What?

No character is really strong without a team that complements them...

Nunu sucks as a support if you stick him with a graves or Ez.

No synergy at all.

Doesn't mean Nunu isn't a viable support.

Stick him with cait and watch towers falls...

Bottom lane is all about synergy.

Alistar + Trist or MF

Taric + Graves

Nunu + Cait

Lulu + Ez

Blitz + Cait

You get champs that combo well...

Same with your jungler... You get a support with CC if you have a jungler that has issues closing.

You get a sustain support if you get a jungler who is more about counter jungling and farming.
And who synergizes with thresh hard enough to make up for the fact that he can potentially fall behind harder than any other champ

3mptylord

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
He's already pinned down as a support like Taric/Leona.

Are people seriously trying to build him as an AP mage or AD carry?

On an unrelated note Jungle Taric is fun.
Taric and Leona don't work without their innate tankiness, though.

Mookomaan

01-25-2013

I've tried thresh top to varying degrees of success, and have come to like it.

The fact that one point in Q at the start of the game can safely deliver creep kills with ease is one of the main reasons i wanted to try him out top. To viably dish out the damage needed to contend in lane, attack speed is necessary to further increase the potential magic damage your Q has to offer. I will make a list of runes and masteries, with core items as well, explaining why in the process.

Runes

-MR per level glyphs
-flat health seals
-attack speed quints and marks

gives 48 health, 24 MR at 18, and 25% attack speed.
The health and MR serve as bruiser stats to survive encounters, where the attack speed is necessary to reliably dish out damage.

Masteries

hybridizing in survival and damage, i run 14/16/0, selecting the following

OFFENSE
1 - Summoner's wrath
4 - fury
4 - deadliness
3 - havoc
1 - weapon expertise
1 - spellsword (because of Thresh's passive AP gain and build)

DEFENSE
4 - durability
3 - hardiness
1 - resistance
2 - unyielding
1 - relentless OR safeguard (your preference)
1 - veteran's scars
1 - block
3 - juggernaut (goes well with health runes and vet scars, and obviously, better survivability)

For offense, i wanted attack speed and magic damage, so what better way than to get spellsword? It works great when your Q is maxed, and with the AP soul gain.
For defense, i built toward early game dominance and durability. With dorans blade, i can get up to 730 hp at level 1.

Items

I start either boots/pots or dorans blade. Boots pots is the standard for top lane Thresh, but if your enemy lacks early game harass/effectiveness, lay it on with dorans blade. the damage and lifesteal combined with your attack speed makes for one hell of a fight, especially when you have your Q. Rush wit's end and zerkers greaves, then deviate from there, making sure to get a blood thirster before 20.
WITS END IS NECESSARY 100% OF THE TIME WITH AD THRESH.

Standard ignite flash will do.

Nothing more to say, other than i've yet to perfect it BUT, in playing the few games that i have as Thresh top, i can say that it is fun. The utility thresh has is invaluable when it comes to ganks. it is a near guaranteed success rate when your ally actually knows how to gank.
Just give it a try and tell me what you think.

Peligrad

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
And who synergizes with thresh hard enough to make up for the fact that he can potentially fall behind harder than any other champ
MF, and Urgot both work really really well with Thresh.

There are 2 reasons.

First, both are incredible lane bullies.

You add in some extra poke from thresh and some of threshes' "You just stand here and let us punch you."

And you get a very fed bottom lane...

The second reason is thresh's lantern provides MF and Urgot with the one thing they lack....

Escape.

In a team fight, MF or Urgot can tee up on the enemy team, and when they rush the ADC, thresh tosses that lantern and suddenly Urgot or Mf are super Ez flying across the team fight formation to a second safe firing position. Couple that with Thresh's AoE disable, and thresh can grant MF or Urgot a frustrating amount of peels.

Imagine this scenario.

Urgot ults the enemy ADC, forcing both out of position. Ordinarily, both ADCs get exploded if this happens.

But thresh tosses that lantern. Their ADC gets exploded but Urgot goes supermanning across a nearby wall and set ups shop, pound away at the enemy team.

What other support can make that happen? None.

Another scenario.

The enemy team does a great job of giving ward coverage and knows right where MF is setup. They initiate a team fight and their assassin rushes in to take out MF's bullet time.

He jumps on her, and she goes flying across the team fight to thresh. The assassin's cds are spent, and she's in position for bullet time....guess what happens next?