Initial thresh impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MMKH

01-24-2013

I noticed his Q is like a 1-2 second stun in itself if you get hooked. Pretty substantial for a long range ability.

konfetarius

01-24-2013

1.5 second stun.

Anyone knows if tenacity reduces it?

MajorUrsa

01-24-2013

If you time the Q right it seems like you can get the stun for 1.4 seconds then use it again to pull Thresh to the target. If you dropped your lantern before you used your Q, you suddenly have a double initiation on a single target. If their team attempts to join the fray, or your target is especially craft, drop the box to prevent the team dive or your opponent getting away.

He sounds pretty interesting, I' curious to see how he plays out and what you guys do with him .

Keonyn

01-24-2013

Don't have him and haven't played him, so take this with a grain of salt.

Last night we played a number of Dominion games and every single one had at least one Thresh, and many of the games had one on each side. They were pretty much always a non-factor in each game and he was never much of a threat or contributor to the games outcome. Maybe I just had a lot of bad players playing the new guy, it's possible, but so far consider me unimpressed.

Orphane

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keonyn View Post
Don't have him and haven't played him, so take this with a grain of salt.

Last night we played a number of Dominion games and every single one had at least one Thresh, and many of the games had one on each side. They were pretty much always a non-factor in each game and he was never much of a threat or contributor to the games outcome. Maybe I just had a lot of bad players playing the new guy, it's possible, but so far consider me unimpressed.
This happens upon basically every champ release unless the champ is just so obviously out of whack numbers-wise any idiot can play and succeed (see: Zyra, Leblanc, Xin).

Bunnle

01-24-2013

I'm wondering why his Q has a delay on it. That is really putting me off and has me wondering why I shouldn't play Blitz instead.

Sakuri Ono

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnle View Post
I'm wondering why his Q has a delay on it. That is really putting me off and has me wondering why I shouldn't play Blitz instead.
A Rioter explained this last night:

Basically, the delay is due to a subtle quirk in his mechanics. Thresh, unlike other grab-mechanic champions, does not face the direction of his grab until the very last frame in the animation.

So unlike Blitz, who points first (thus telegraphing) and then grabs, Thresh can be facing a completely different direction. So you have no idea where he's aiming his grab until it's already mid-flight.

Kohelet

01-24-2013

His damage is horribad. I mean like really, really bad.

I get he's a support, but I think other supports would be much much better.

Kohelet

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
This happens upon basically every champ release unless the champ is just so obviously out of whack numbers-wise any idiot can play and succeed (see: Zyra, Leblanc, Xin).
Every single one I've seen has had the lowest damages of all champs, e.g. #9 & 10 or #10 if only one.

No variation. He's bottom damage every single time no matter what builds.

Luninareph

01-25-2013

So far I have only played him in bot games, because until I get his mechanics down there is no way I'm taking him anywhere near human players. I've also only played him with at least two other people in Skype with me. So I've basically been playing him in the very easiest scenarios possible, trying to get his timings down and figure out how to build him effectively.

He makes some crazy-awesome plays. There is obviously no denying that. I'm already a pretty excitable player, and me playing Thresh is basically a constant refrain of yelling, "LANTERN! LANTERN! CLICK IT! CLICK IT YOU FOOLS!" and the craziness that follows. Thresh loves big turret fights more than life itself (obviously, being dead and all). As long as he has allies with him, he makes assaulting or defending a turret point a million times easier. He's like Nautilus in that he absolutely MUST be with allies to be of any use at all, but between Q, E, and R, if he wants you on or off a point, you don't have much say in the matter.

His damage is abysmal, which mostly only bothers me on his ult and his CS-ing. I don't feel like his ult does enough to discourage people from passing through it ATM, and his ability to farm creep waves is bottom-of-the-barrel, which is really annoying when he HAS to farm them to get souls and keep up with tanking. I've tried building some heavy AP to make Flay an AOE minion-wave-clearer, but it doesn't work very well, especially since then you're not tanky enough to play your role of initiator very well.

People are complaining nonstop about his Q's pull as compared to Blitz's, but I think those people are forgetting that you can use it to pull YOURSELF to THEM as well. The lackluster enemy pull is to encourage you to pull yourself to them, where E and R can have their maximum effect. Somebody somewhere said that it's best to consider Thresh as melee for all intents and purposes, and I think that's a very true statement.

Because of his massive pulling potential in all directions, I've noticed the greatest effect on him is building aura items. Abyssal Scepter is a particular gem; that huge chunk of AP and MPen makes the single biggest increase in his damage that I've seen so far. Aegis is of course good as well, but I think Abyssal adequately covers the MR area and now that Aegis doesn't give AD anymore, I think Frozen Heart would probably be a better armor/aura item than Aegis. You need to build plenty of armor in case you can't keep up with farming souls (a likely situation,) and Thresh needs maximum CDR almost as badly as Karma does.

Another item that I thought made a surprising impact on his damage was Iceborn Gauntlet. While Thresh has pulls, he lacks heavy disruption in team fights aside from his ult (Flay's impact, while noticeable, is usually not heavy so much as tactically useful). The AOE slow + damage from Iceborn really puts a nice bit of extra heft onto Thresh's contributions and makes him much more annoying to fight against. I have tried building Malady one game and Iceborn in another game, and I really think Iceborn made a bigger impact on his kit than Malady did.

Also, since Thresh's farm sucks so badly, I've been experimenting starting with a Kage's into Shard of True Ice. He really needs an extra source of income when it's so hard for him to kill minions, and his mana costs are so high that Shard's mana regen is also welcomed. The active doesn't hurt either. Granted, Iceborn Gauntlet can help with farming as well, and I saw somebody recommend Runaan's Hurricane on him, which I haven't tried yet but would like to. Still, I feel safer having Shard there generating gold for me just in case.

Summary: Thresh's strengths are in team fights and turret fights. His weakness is lack of communication with your team (but we all already knew that). Good items are, in my experience, Abyssal Scepter, Frozen Heart, Iceborn Gauntlet, and Shard of True Ice. Items that seemed good but did not do what I wanted when I built them are Malady and Aegis of the Legion.