Community opinion from a new player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stripper Steve

01-23-2013

I actually do the things you mentioned. I have never done one thing that would warrant getting me reported for anything negative in/before/after a game. I've also never had anyone challenge me for jungle or say we don't want one. I'm not confrontational on any level in the slightest. It's honestly just a community issue that I've addressed here. I have a good amount of friends that play this game, and most at a high level, and they have agreed wholeheartedly that these issues are absolutely part of the community, and will continue at every level of the game. They have attested to having ignore lists with literally hundreds of people on them. This kind of attitudes and BM that I've seen I would expect from a loss in a ranked setting, as emotions are set to run high, but not in leveling. It's plainly obvious that everyone I'm playing with has a main (or had), and I'd say that's part of the issue as well.

That being said, I appreciate the advice. I'll let this one ride off into the sunset. I just wanted my experience as a new player documented for anyone at Riot that is interested in this. Hopefully, in time, something can be done to give new players a better introduction into this game. If not, oh well, at least I tried. Thanks guys, I will surely heed all advice given here.

FearOfTheFlesh

01-23-2013

WoW is not like league of legends. You don't lose your levels when you fight other players. You don't have to work in a team against other players as often and the majority of the game is around character development not competition with other players in a team based 5v5 or w.e. x w.e. fight.

Comparable games would be something like dota, HoN, 5v5 Sc2, 5v5 warcraft 3, 5v5 FPS games etc. Then for those games you have to make the scenario fully based on the win vs loss.

To think that this is not relevant is stupid. It not only is relevant it is defining of this game. In games vs bots few will pick on you becuz you aren't facing other players, they will tend to focus on their own k/d/a ratios which funnily enough don't really matter but thats a different point.

Dota and HoN communities are exactly the same. They are not 1 bit better trust me I played them enough. The communities are exactly the same. Any online game that targets the same age groups and has a big enough player base will be almost exactly the same save for a few things that will be based on the restrictions put in by the developers and the punishment handed out.

Since this game provides a similar level of punishment sometimes a bit more so than other similar games, the community is identical. If you don't think this is true then it is either you have not played enough of the other games of a similar type to see it, or have not played this game long enough to actually properly judge the community, and instead are drawing generalizations based on a few games and people you have met so far.

As for Advice at this point for you:
Don't jungle before 30, it is completely pointless. You don't have the runes, and you don't have the proper experience among your teammates to help you enough for it to be worth it. On top of it your teammates don't last hit well anyway, and can't hold a 1v2 lane. As a result you fall behind, and appear to always be the weakest in your team, so of course when your team is losing they will look for who is falling the furthest behind and question his ability. Instead either go a solo lane like mid or go with another lane like top or bottom and play an adc/apc/or bruiser in those lanes. Don't play a support either cuz at this level of play they don't matter anyway.

In regards to your comment of every other game you played had a jungler so what? If you are in a 2 lane facing 1 guy you will be ahead. You will zone him he will not have full runes or proper build and positioning to really gain anything and more times than not you will even get first blood. You won't be down if you played 2-1-2 lanes with no supports.

Darth Starkiller

01-23-2013

Think THIS community is bad? Dota is just as bad, HoN is the WORST in the MOBA AND MMORPG genre, and we all know that Dota 2 is going to draw in the worst of both. Trust me, the community here may be bad at times, but it could be a LOT worse, and it was before the Tribunal was formed.

Stripper Steve

01-23-2013

Guys, you're defending this community. Just because you've found it elsewhere doesn't make it ok, nor any less ridiculous. I find it pretty sad that amongst a player base this bad you find this acceptable on any level. Trying to justify this by any means, or comparison is what's really "stupid" as you so eloquently stated. Also you took a lot of what I said out of context. I'm not really sure what the stick poking was meant to prove, but as stated previously, I'm letting this thread die. I'd hope you can do the same...

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

No one is defending it. They're simply letting you know that it's a reality that has to be dealt with so long as you play this game.

Yes, there are steps in place to fix it - Honor, Leaverbuster, the Tribunal - but they're not going to get rid of all of the toxicity all at once.

What they do accomplish is to get rid of the worst of it, and as they remove the worst X% of players, a new group becomes the worst X%, and they remove that in turn. As it iterates, more toxicity will disappear, but it's unlikely that it will ever be completely gone.

You have two choices - either continue to play this game, knowing what it's like, and doing what you can to help those systems do their job(honoring players who were pleasant, reporting players who were toxic, voting in the Tribunal), or you can decide it's not for you, and move on.

You seem like the type of person this game could use more of, so hopefully you choose the former, but it's up to you.