Community opinion from a new player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stripper Steve

01-23-2013

So I started playing this game, never played any game like this before. I'm currently somewhere around 40 wins (level 20ish). I have to say this is, far and above, the worst community of players I have ever seen in 10 years of online gaming. I normally start by telling players that I'm new, and to please be constructive, and let me know if I need to be somewhere, or you're needing help (as I normally jungle).

None of this matters as soon as we start to lose, or someone dies (that I'm normally not even a part of). It instantly becomes my fault, and I get bashed endlessly by 1 or 2 players, at least, every other game. Even with a positive score, if we're winning, or we win it matters not. As soon as this starts every thing I do becomes under scrutiny.

I do a lot of prep on video games prior and during playing them. I use guides for my characters. I practice them in custom games against bots many times before I take them live. So I don't come in and just flop. I don't feed (95%) of the time. I have issues knowing when and where exactly I need to be at all times during lane phase. I'll gank top, but then bot is ripping my family history apart in chat because I wasn't there instead, or vice versa. It's never constructive criticism. It's always the most nasty, cruel, demeaning things that people could think of to say. To try their best to get you to quit the game. It's ridiculous.

I participate in Tribunal (also actively report), and that's a nice tool, but I don't feel that this is anywhere close to solving the problem. From my experience in (100ish) games, it's 1 or 2 out of 5 people who are completely foul. What's sad is this is leveling. I am yet to see even one other person who said they are new as well. It's all people who have mains, or have been banned, and are just recycled into the community as levelers to completely ruin the experience for new players. I'm not sure where this goes from here, but I just thought I'd weigh in on this, as a new player. Thanks for reading it.

170 Calories

01-23-2013

It goes like this bro. only 5% of all people commit 90% of the crime in the usa, and the same goes for this game. 1 toxic player can negatively effect 11,000 players before they are permabanned. That doesn't mean all players are ragers but it takes awhile to weed out the bad ones. Just mute and report the bad ones.

The average number of people impacted by a person who faces the tribunal
1 bot game 4 times 30 games in a month Equals 120 people affected
1 pvp game 9 times 30 games in a month Equals 270 people affected
2nd pvp game 9 times 30 games in a month Equals 270 people affected
for a total of 660 people affected by a player facing the tribunal in a single month
for a total of 1980 people affected by a player facing the tribunal over a 3 month cycle

8) In the tribunal typically a person gets 1 warning, 1 1 day ban, 1 3 day ban, 1 7 day ban, 1 14 day ban and is then permabanned.

9) This means they faced the tribunal 6 times (Sometimes more). This means it is possible this one person ruined the games of 11,880 games!
“Well it depends. Did they get a Warning? Did they refuse to change after the Warning and then get a 3 Day Suspension? Did they refuse to change after the 3 Day Suspension and then get a 7 Day Suspension? Did they refuse to change after the 7 Day Suspension and then get a 14 Day Suspension? If they did all that and refused to change. Then yes. They could get perma-banned.” @WookieeCookie
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...50996#31850996

FearOfTheFlesh

Recruiter

01-23-2013

Nothing much you can do unfortunately but it is not true that this is unique to this community.

To compare it to another game you have to find another free huge player base game, that is competitive, team based and punishes players who lose while rewarding players who win in a pvp setting. If you factor that in, the communities are very similar primarely because a lot of the players are actually the exact same people.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Please don't jungle at level 20 - a few games here and there to get the idea is fine, but don't make it a main role until you get to level 30.

The reason for this is twofold. First, you will never be as effective in the jungle with sub-30 runes and masteries as you can be in other roles. Second, sub-30 players are ill-equipped to handle 1v2 lanes. They lack runes and masteries, and more importantly, they lack experience.

This is probably one of the reasons that you take flak from teammates - they percieve your choice to jungle as the reason, or a large part of the reason, that they are losing.

That said, some people are just *******s, and will act like that anyway - but it's in your best interests to minimize your own contributions to the hostility.

Stripper Steve

01-23-2013

@170 Calories - I can appreciate the full run down of all that goes into a tribunal ban, and that basically just sums up what I was already stating. Tribunal, while nice, is not solving the issue.

@FearofTheFlesh - I never said it was unique to this community. I just said this is the worst I've seen. Trying to hide it behind the detailed specifics of what this game entails doesn't change the fact that it's horrible compared to any other online game. WoW has a horrible community, and it's likely close to the same type of players that are here. I can agree with that. It's just here you're subjected to those players on a personal level every time you play.

@Sereg - I have only played one character to jungle with, and have grabbed all the tier 3 runes for it that I can. I'll admit that I do lack a few that aren't unlocked, and I do lack 6 or 7 mastery points, but I didn't see this as gamebreaking to the point of being unable to perform the role. I can say in a lot of the instances that it's absolutely less my fault and more people just raging that they died and playing the blame game. It comes down to the fact that because I offer that I'm a new player, people use that as a target to point the finger. I do make mistakes, but not to the extent of the drama thrown my way, nor anywhere to the level of deserving the context of it.

Edit: On a side note, you stated do not jungle. I can roll with that, if that's not a friendly place for a new player. What role should I take? I've read that top is not a good place for a new player. It seems that everyone every game wants mid, and that is supposed to be a spot where a good player can "carry" so I avoided that for that purpose. I've also read that adc is kind of the same in that regard. So this leaves me with support?

Edit x 2: In re-reading your post Sereg, I think you're under the impression that sub 30 games don't have junglers? Every game I've been in since 20 has had a jungler on the opposing team. Not sure if that's what you were getting at.

tburgdorf

01-23-2013

If you tell people that you are new and want constructive criticism that is the way to go. But if they bash you for it then its not your fault. I generally just say hey this game is my fault I messed up and then say sorry. Not really much you can do if they just rage.

Let them rage report if they are hostile. Mute them if you have too and just continue to build and learn from the game.

Stripper Steve

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburgdorf View Post
If you tell people that you are new and want constructive criticism that is the way to go. But if they bash you for it then its not your fault. I generally just say hey this game is my fault I messed up and then say sorry. Not really much you can do if they just rage.

Let them rage report if they are hostile. Mute them if you have too and just continue to build and learn from the game.
Yeah I figured this was my only approach prior to posting this thread. I just found it pertinent to at least make a point to say something, and be yet another person who has done so. In any event it couldn't hurt.

Tucking Sits

01-23-2013

You will quickly learn that if you are support or jungle, any and all bad plays/deaths/towers lost/objectives lost/etc will be your fault.

And you CAN jungle at 20. It is better to start early if you plan on making that role your primary role in order to get as much experience with it as possible.

Deather Killer

01-23-2013

I think jungle is a interesting position in lol. Because it's so free.
I advice you learn to see the small map, and know to guess your enermy's thought. Help the good teammate, ignore the bad teammate, and learn to anti-gank.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluv View Post

@Sereg - I have only played one character to jungle with, and have grabbed all the tier 3 runes for it that I can. I'll admit that I do lack a few that aren't unlocked, and I do lack 6 or 7 mastery points, but I didn't see this as gamebreaking to the point of being unable to perform the role. I can say in a lot of the instances that it's absolutely less my fault and more people just raging that they died and playing the blame game. It comes down to the fact that because I offer that I'm a new player, people use that as a target to point the finger. I do make mistakes, but not to the extent of the drama thrown my way, nor anywhere to the level of deserving the context of it.

Edit: On a side note, you stated do not jungle. I can roll with that, if that's not a friendly place for a new player. What role should I take? I've read that top is not a good place for a new player. It seems that everyone every game wants mid, and that is supposed to be a spot where a good player can "carry" so I avoided that for that purpose. I've also read that adc is kind of the same in that regard. So this leaves me with support?

Edit x 2: In re-reading your post Sereg, I think you're under the impression that sub 30 games don't have junglers? Every game I've been in since 20 has had a jungler on the opposing team. Not sure if that's what you were getting at.
It's twofold, as I said. Part of it is the jungle being slightly more difficult, making your clear slower, and leaving you with fewer health and less able to gank early and make an impact, and the other part is the 2v1 lane, which is not as advantageous as it would be post-30(read: with more experienced players), and can put your team at a distinct disadvantage with an inexperienced solo top.

As far as roles, I discourage jungling for the reasons I mentioned above. If your team feels that a jungler is necessary, by all means fill the role, but otherwise avoid it, especially if your team does not want a jungler. Support is an excellent role to learn, and ADC isn't called as much as the solo lanes, so it's definitely an option too. Top may not be a good place for a new player, but in a team without a jungle, that's not so relevant, and even if both teams have a jungler, everyone on your team is new, so it doesn't really matter if you're inexperienced there or not - so is everyone else.

At your last edit, I'll admit my memory of sub-30 is hazy - it was for less then a month, probably 8 months ago, and I've never smurfed, so I may be remembering it incorrectly. I suppose jungle must become more common as you approach 30, so if that is the case, feel free to ignore most of my earlier post. It is still true that it's less of an advantage then at 30, and can be a disadvantage, but if it's as common as you claim, it may not be as bad as I expected.

Ultimately, the point I intended to make was that you should be as cooperative as possible. If that means not jungling because no one is comfortable as a solo top, don't jungle. If it means jungling because everyone else wants a jungler but no one knows how, by all means, take jungle. If it means supporting because no one wants to do that(happens alot at my elo), go support.

Never be the person to initiate blaming - if you have something that isn't very polite and constructive to say to someone on your own team, even if you think it's a neutral rather then negative comment, best to keep it to yourself. If someone starts blaming you, don't retaliate - if your pride can manage it, apologize politely and move on. If not, just remain silent. If you make a mistake, and you know it, apologize before anyone else can call you out on it.

Note I'm not implying that you're a negative player or part of the problem - I'm simply offering advice that's helped make my own games more pleasant. For all I know, you may already do these things - but if not, give them a try.