Digi-art contest entry WIP-Master YI

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AĆ©ropostale

02-09-2013

I think you did a very nice job with all the 3D renderings, but I kind of lost the feel with the final product. I see lots of filters, model placement, and not so much freehand work.

Id love to see you enter a full-on 3D contest. That's definitely where your expertise shows.

puppytime

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonfury View Post
Digital art is typically considered an amalgamation of techniques and software. Most digital-artists utilize a mix of 3D & 2D softwares to achieve their final image. I know that Sketchup is very popular with comic artists and digital painters who have issues with backgrounds/ environments. If you watch any of the riot art spotlights a lot of them use a 3D model for the weapon and sometimes environmental details. They end up painting details onto them to fit into the scene flawlessly.

But this was never a contest of pure technical skill, thats only 1 of 3 criteria thats judged upon according to the FAQ. Content and Impact are the other two criteria. You can be as amazing as you want with the art but if its soul less then the over simplified heart warming manga image is going to win.

You are actually right about the roommate thing though, it states on the front page of the contest that the submissions must be yours and yours alone. And I haven't come across any mention of allowing a collaboration.

All of that said, I think the model looks great, but what item are you including and do you have a thumb of the composition?

digital artist require 3 D assist for final render????? DUDE, BULL FUKING ****, did you ever heard of the idea of a concept artiest???? there is a reason why there is a job like that out there, digital art is NOT 3D, you only use 3D modeling for the sake of perfecting the look of a product, DIGITAL PAINTING is a entirely different idea, if every concept artist uses 3D models to render, than wow, that's quite expensive to do a picture, second of all, using 3D models is the reason why the creativity sucked so hard in movies these days, stop encouraging using 3D model for concept design

Vashos

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytime View Post
digital artist require 3 D assist for final render????? DUDE, BULL FUKING ****, did you ever heard of the idea of a concept artiest???? there is a reason why there is a job like that out there, digital art is NOT 3D, you only use 3D modeling for the sake of perfecting the look of a product, DIGITAL PAINTING is a entirely different idea, if every concept artist uses 3D models to render, than wow, that's quite expensive to do a picture, second of all, using 3D models is the reason why the creativity sucked so hard in movies these days, stop encouraging using 3D model for concept design
I'm not even sure where to start on how off-base you are. I guess I'm just going to have to break this down:

No, 3d is not *required* for a final painting when doing 2d work, but there are several professional artists who use this technique. (one of my favorites is this guy) The opposite scenario is also true; many 3d artists do some overpainting and other adjustments in 2d after they create their renders.

Yes, 3d art is digital art. "Digital" simply means produced by a computer whereas "analog" art is the term used to refer to art produced physically.

Yes, digital painting and modeling are different, but they are not mutually exclusive, as mentioned above. Art is art, and no matter what your specialty is, the skills from one will lend themselves to the other.

Lastly, I think you're very misguided on the attitudes toward 3d in film. That is not an issue of not having good 2d conceptual work, but having a poor film concept overall and relying too heavily on flash-bang to hide a poor script and lack of plot/character development.

RemarkableFellow

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytime View Post
The amount of ignorance in this post is astounding.

Lots of concept artists use blocked out 3D models to paint over if they don't want to spend the time fiddling with perspective, saving both time and money. It is not "expensive" to render out a still of a bunch of blocks to represent buildings to paint over. It is not "expensive" to model a character concept in Zbrush which, in truth, can be much faster than drawing.

Loads of artists use Zbrush to quickly sculpt a character/creature in 3D, then bring that into Photoshop to paint over. There's a reason Adobe has been refining their new 3D tools in PS. This gives you the correct proportions and styling faster than painting from scratch. Additionally, you can get different angles for a 3 (or 5) point turn with ease. Utilizing different tools to maximize your chances for success is smart and efficient. The only thing to make sure of is that you are not relying on one tool or another as a crutch for weaknesses in your traditional drawing skills.

In the end, digital art is just that- digital; to argue that it is anything else is simply foolish. Sure, you could argue semantics, but in the end this was created using a variety of digital mediums, plain and simple. Digital art =/= concept art. Concept art =/= drawing/painting entirely from scratch. It's about whatever gets you the best end result that satisfies either your own artistic desires or a client's.

With all of that said, I do have some critiques:

+ The quality of work done in 3D in such a short amount of time is impressive and the overall piece is very well done.

+ Textures look nice, if not a little too clean. More wear would have been appropriate, but I know there was much work to be done. Not every detail can have the time spent on it that one would wish for.

+ Matte painting and character model(s) are excellent.

- His sword feels too short for a katana. This might be a perspective issue, but I'd expect Yi to have a super-long two-handed sword like he does in-game.

- His pose is not very dynamic and frankly the silhouette frankly is rather weak.

- The way the Alpha Strike is depicted doesn't read too well- it took me a minute to figure out what the 2nd Yi in the background was supposed to be. Perhaps having a more clear effect or more ghosted Yi's in the composition would have helped this be more apparent.

- The back right foot is at an awkward angle and make his foot appear to be quite small.

- Cast shadows don't have much falloff. They are too crisp around the edges in my opinion.

Don't listen to the naysayers on this forum that have no artistic knowledge or experience to back up their (non-constructive) criticisms. Keep up the great work.