New(ish) player LF advice on a few things...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mikiru

01-23-2013

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for such questions, but here goes.

I've been legitimately playing this game since october, I played a few years ago but my friends quit and so did I. I started with a new group of friends and they needed a mid lane, so here I go, level 10 vs lvl 30s mid lane. I was doing well, playing fiddle/vladimir/annie and usually "winning" lane, even though they were the ones telling me and trying to teach me what to do. Then, after discovering my love for support and my friends getting bored of the lanes we were playing we switched things up, I picked up jungling and support and rarely played middle.

Onto the present, I'm currently halfway through level 29 and being close to 30. My friends are now deciding to go and try for ranked with me being mid again. Being so out of practice with mid, we've been having a little bit of a problem. On one hand they say that I'm still a good mid, on the other, I get yelled at for a few things (some are rightly so, like getting caught while warding [habit of supporting] and not building new champs I am trying correctly).

So the questions standing are as follow:

1. Which champions are currently favorable in mid? (not meaning overpowered, just good for team fights)

2. How do I know which champs have a good synergy with one another?

3. Are there any ways to help play the game with an unlocked camera? (aside from the spacebar thing and just practicing?)

4. In terms of a team composition, are there any resources out there that provide good options for such?

I appreciate any/all help that anyone can provide. I know that the population of LoL can be trollish, but I know that there are some good and helpful people out there.

Thanks in advance

mendeleyev

01-23-2013

1. I will tell you who bothers me midlane into endgame. Veigar and LeBlanc. In the right hands, those cretins are *******s.

2. The fastest way to know would just go to mobafire.com and read guides. They usually contain a matchup/team/counter section

3. My GF played with a locked camera and watching her, I almost died. I can't tell you how to help besides just unlock it and play bots until your head stops spinning I guess.

4. oh... see #2.

Also, I am learning now that "winning" your lane doesn't mean much. Everyone I think has a different version of winning. I think "winning" your lane means you can shove the lane with ease, secure a kill at least once in say... 6 minutes? and then roaming to other lanes while the lane is shoved. even if you don't secure a kill, and your team rages about it, you at least put the other team on edge about you and you can go back to your lane. EVERYTIME, you disappear, the lane you bothered, is gonna run.

You know what mid can shove a lane to bits? Anivia. My usual mid. As anivia, I can usually secure a kill with her Q/E, stun and massive single target damage. Usually knocks off half health. Putting them on edge. Shove the lane, roam, come back. At 6, pfft, forget about it. Her ult (6 second cooldown) kills all minions in about 5-7 seconds i would say. Shove lane, hit the target if possible, roam.

Winning your lane, worthless. Winning your lane and helping your solo top or going doing with you jungle to 4v2 bot, that is winning a game.

mendeleyev

01-23-2013

I want to add that Anivia, for me still as I am pretty new to her, is hard in teamfights. She dies pretty easy, and they focus your egg, trust me - they don't want you back. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of people die going for my egg. Effective use of her wall is the most tricky thing. I would say for everyone 1 wall I do right, my team rages about 2 of them.

Mikiru

01-23-2013

Thanks for the advice. =D

My most recent mid favorite has been Viktor. I like the difficulty, but his extreme slowness bothers me as well as the fact that he gets focused ALL the time.

I've been thinking about playing Anivia, I'll look into her.

Mikiru

01-23-2013

Also, with the unlocked camera, my issue seems to be when I an getting harassed and I'm trying to escape, I get caught because a) I move my mouse too far and lose sight of my champ or b) I focus on moving my champ and forget to move the camera... =/

mendeleyev

01-23-2013

Yeah, can't help ya there. When I was just 10 or something, playing starcraft, I never had the unlocked camera issue. Grew up with it. My friend says it looks like my screen is constantly having a seizure

As far as victor is concerned, he is ok in teamfights because of his CC and his ult (I assume. I sucked at him, and rarely see anyone succeed). If I were anivia in lane with victor, I would be rolling all over his face.

As anivia, you would be weak against high mobility champs, like teemo, leblanc, KATARINA, and akali. This isn't to say you can't win and will die. I usually play them into what I would call a draw. 0/0 until 10 minutes on both sides. the trick will be to roam. if you roam, they may take your turret or they may counterroam. One strategy would be to ask the jungler to cover mid, you roam and confuse the enemies. You seem to be on skype or something with some guys, get creative. have your top grab teleport, and all at once, all 5 of you just DIVE DIVE DIVE bot lane, after letter bot enemies push to the turret, of course.

I played against a mid nunu once, there was no shoving him around with my long CD and high mana costs. he just ate minions and laughed at me. Pantheon mid one time just ate me alive with his stun, jabjabjab, autoattack spear combo.

So True II

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendeleyev View Post
1. I will tell you who bothers me midlane into endgame. Veigar and LeBlanc. In the right hands, those cretins are *******s.

2. The fastest way to know would just go to mobafire.com and read guides. They usually contain a matchup/team/counter section

3. My GF played with a locked camera and watching her, I almost died. I can't tell you how to help besides just unlock it and play bots until your head stops spinning I guess.

4. oh... see #2.

Also, I am learning now that "winning" your lane doesn't mean much. Everyone I think has a different version of winning. I think "winning" your lane means you can shove the lane with ease, secure a kill at least once in say... 6 minutes? and then roaming to other lanes while the lane is shoved. even if you don't secure a kill, and your team rages about it, you at least put the other team on edge about you and you can go back to your lane. EVERYTIME, you disappear, the lane you bothered, is gonna run.

You know what mid can shove a lane to bits? Anivia. My usual mid. As anivia, I can usually secure a kill with her Q/E, stun and massive single target damage. Usually knocks off half health. Putting them on edge. Shove the lane, roam, come back. At 6, pfft, forget about it. Her ult (6 second cooldown) kills all minions in about 5-7 seconds i would say. Shove lane, hit the target if possible, roam.

Winning your lane, worthless. Winning your lane and helping your solo top or going doing with you jungle to 4v2 bot, that is winning a game.

veigar/lb??? WAT. Veigar is WAYYYY too easily counterpicked, just pick an AD mid and then laugh in Veigar's tiny face. Lb, same thing, and her late game is terribad, she can 1shot around ~early-mid - mid game, but otherwise she's useless with no good, reliable CC and only single target dmg (besides her W which is a reallyyyy small AOE).

1) Orianna (REALLY good teamfight precense), Karthus, and a lot of AD mids (e.g. Talon).

2) Depends on the kit (skills). For example, Katarina and Amumu have good synergy -
Amumu ult locks everyone up so Kat's ult should be able to go pretty uninterupted. Or J4 and Orianna, J4 ults everyone, orianna ult gets everyone inside his little box.

3) I use Y and I have it occasionally locked/unlocked, I can't really be the best advice giver here, though.

4) Karth, Ori... Ori's ult really strong, Talon is good for 1shotting a particular target which needs to die, same with Eve, although she has gotten nerfed a good bit.

I'd recommend learning some AD mids (like pantheon, talon, and lee sin) as well as some Ap mids (like karthus or orianna). Katarina is quickly becoming a rising prescense, but you need to pick against people who don't have much CC. I'd recommend you & your team to practice in draft normals and get the hang of counterpicking etc. (e.g., pick a support first pick & swap if needed, that way it's harder to get counterpicked. if you instalock a mid/top then you can get countered easily.)

Veigar can be countered too easily (see: AD mids) and LB falls off late game unless on a massive snowball streak, and can also be countered easily (ad mids).