League of Legends on Mac In PBE Testing Now!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Laserturkey

01-23-2013

So working as a Developer myself (some experience at a large company) I know refactoring practices and processes that inclined me to do so naturally, to me, this feels like you guys have also tackled another task and have a new perception of the Windows client, do we see some optimization coming in the near future?

Also out of curiosity, I'm a Java developer when we write code and want to test it fully JUnits are pretty good to us(for the most part), how do you guys do regression testing for C++, if you could give some insight as I am quite curious; do you follow agile practices, and TDD?
-Thanks,
LT

Gryphon48

01-23-2013

I would like to express my gratitude Riot. This was completely unexpected, but a great surprise.
However, I have a question. How/Will you incorporate the iLol team into this process? Are they going to unofficially run it, as they currently do, or are they going to get hired, etc.?

Topher84

01-23-2013

Started off only giving me 30kbps for the download... if this happens, restart the client. I'm now getting 2-2.5MBps.

Yakaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

01-23-2013
58 of 100 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Kills View Post
Riot, but what about the iLol client boompje created?
While the efforts of boompje have been super amazing, this is a better solution, iLol basically worked by 'shelling' the Windows game inside Mac, and therefore depended on proper translation of Windows calls to work correctly. This effort is a mac client from start to finish -- this means it will be easier to improve performance, support Mac-isms, etc. It also means day-and-date patches as every Riot developer now devs with Mac in mind.

Fillie

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespersia View Post
I installed the mac beta package and it says my username/password are incorrect, I already tried resetting my password but i'm still getting the same error.
I encountered the same error. Must be a problem with the authenticator.

Donarvin

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinigen View Post
Im having this exact problem
just wait and it eventually comes up

MrFinigen

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz View Post
After installing, in the Applications folder should be a "LOL PBE" folder. Inside that folder should be the App Bundle "Play League of Legends". You should run that.
Didn't work for me :/ The launcher still won't open

Yakaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

01-23-2013
59 of 100 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon48 View Post
I would like to express my gratitude Riot. This was completely unexpected, but a great surprise.
However, I have a question. How/Will you incorporate the iLol team into this process? Are they going to unofficially run it, as they currently do, or are they going to get hired, etc.?
This is an official Riot effort, iLol has nothing to do with it (though they are cool dudes[tm] from what I hear) . This means we're supporting it directly. I don't know if any of them have applications in, but obviously the kind of dedication it takes for that kind of project would look good if any of them think they want to.

Gryphon48

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotYakaru View Post
While the efforts of boompje have been super amazing, this is a better solution, iLol basically worked by 'shelling' the Windows game inside Mac, and therefore depended on proper translation of Windows calls to work correctly. This effort is a mac client from start to finish -- this means it will be easier to improve performance, support Mac-isms, etc. It also means day-and-date patches as every Riot developer now devs with Mac in mind.
So what will happen to the iLol team?

Noxe Out

Recruiter

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotYakaru View Post
You don't have to work with him >^.^<
I had a totally awesome rebuttal in mind until I saw the kitty face, then all I could think was aww.