Ruby sightstone just isn't enough...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aitheon

01-23-2013

Does anyone else in the "support role" community feel this way?

Pre-sightstone release I was building all my supports as follows:
-2x gp10 items (philo/HoG)
-aegis
-boots
-wards x5/10

post-sightstone release:
-2x gp10 items (philo+kage, later into shard)
-bulwark
-boots
-wards x5
-ruby sightstone

I'm not much for rated games, I play primarily normals. So I'm sure the perspective of a high elo player will overshadow my experience quickly. But I tend to be a bit of a ward junkie. It's not uncommon for me to have 10+ wards littering the map at any given time. I've had games where the entire map was lit up. Overkill? ya perhaps. But that aside I've had people question why I bother buying wards on top of a ruby ss...as if to say that once you own a ruby ss theres no need for anything else.

Personally if not for the fact that ruby gives me HP. I wouldn't bother with it. Infact I usually don't even buy normal sightstone. I just wait until I can buy the ruby version in one shot. I personally don't like the idea of giving up vision in one area just to gain it in another.

Anyone else not a huge fan of the sightstone?

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Not a huge friend of sightstone, but I still suck it up and build it, since it is cost effective

5 wards are usually enough to cover the key points on the map though, so 10-15 are usually over kill.

All Delete

01-23-2013

Long run I think its quite nice aside from the health. I just tend to grab 3x wards so i can ward each side correctly in choke points/key points as Ken said.

Then again, who do you usually support with?

Aitheon

01-23-2013

My favs are leona, nami, lulu. But I'll play almost any.

As leona I tend to be front and center all the time and don't usually find myself with as many opportunities to ward up the map and will usually get a couple more tanky items. But as pretty much any other support if there is no team fighting or baron kills happening, then every drop of my gp10 gains once I build my aegis will usually go into wards and then I'm out warding almost every center field bush I can.

edit:
My frontline supports are less ward oriented then my backline supports I guess would be the way to describe it.

Cenerae

01-23-2013

I used to keep a stack of wards handy, but I'd never place all of them in one sitting unless I was having a ward war with the enemy support.

Currently I use the sightstone (which can be treated as a gp/10 item of greater efficiency than the others, if you routinely place the wards) and keep a couple of pinks in a second slot for counterwarding. It's very rare that I need to grant more vision than this, but I would happily buy more if I needed to and my team wasn't willing to chip in to cover the briefly needed location. 3 wards can give cover of all the important locations around baron, jungle paths, or sight into the enemy base. Why do I need to carry an extra stack of sight wards most of the time?

The fact that I get 300 hp on top of a free ward dispenser is just gravy, really.

edit - though I think if your team's strategy is to do heavy roaming and pushing, as we saw in some of the latest tourney's matches, you can skip it, since most of your warding is going to be aggressive counterwarding anyway.

Aitheon

01-23-2013

Warding key spots for baron/dragon is one thing, but I also due the following...

well if we're on the defensive due to a extremely aggressive team, I will usually sneak out of base and ward up our side of the map so we can try and farm with little fear of ganking.

If we're pushing into the enemy base I will usually throw wards into their jungle so when we leave to baron or shop we have vision on where they've gone once they leave their base.

alaskaneagle

01-23-2013

I don't see much use in it during the lane phase. I start with one ward and two pieces of philo stone and a pot. Then I go back and finish the philo and get a pink ward or 3. I find it more useful to take out their vision than spending 700 early for 2 wards in place when I could spend 200 for real lane control and save up for the second gp5.

If they lower the cost to 4 to 500 I might think it was worth. I usually wait till I either have extra gold and space for the stone or can buy the upgraded stone outright.

Snarglefargen

01-23-2013

After you hit full build sell the sightstone, replace it with something with better stats and leave a slot for wards open.

Ruibarian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

It depends on who I'm playing as a support. If I'm playing a tanky support like Ali, Blitz, Leona, etc., then I build it, but I do hold off as long as I can. If my team is doing very well, I just buy vision wards all game. But the wards are SUPER important, the design of Sightstone is very clearly trying to get players to understand that wards are THAT GOOD, and most players should have 2 wards out at all times early on and 3 out by late game. If you're doing this without the Sightstone, great. But the whole point is that you get a bunch of wards to use.

Cenerae

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitheon View Post
Warding key spots for baron/dragon is one thing, but I also due the following...

well if we're on the defensive due to a extremely aggressive team, I will usually sneak out of base and ward up our side of the map so we can try and farm with little fear of ganking.

If we're pushing into the enemy base I will usually throw wards into their jungle so when we leave to baron or shop we have vision on where they've gone once they leave their base.
Of course. Like I said, if extra vision is required, extra wards can be purchased. Every ward you place via the sightstone is a ward you got for 'free'. After you've placed like 10 or so, you're making a profit. If you place wards as often as you say you do, that can only be a good thing right?