IronStylus, Where are the silly skins?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlynnOFlenniken

01-24-2013

Sunbathing Leona? Hmmmmm.

I need to find that thread again so I can bump it.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousJeremy View Post
Pizza Delivery Sivir

Riot please
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2&d=1354705806

KiteMeGood

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Good ideas. That said, yes, we do have a bit of a gap in our releases I feel which should be filled with more light-hearted skins. I think one of the reasons we haven't done as many is because we're really trying to get global with our approach, making things broadly appealing to our world wide audience. That isn't to say we want to water down silly ideas or dial back, what we want to do is find the best universal silliness possible.

The global community isn't necessarily on the same wavelength as maybe a skin like Brolaf or Gentleman Cho'gath. That doesn't make them not awesome, or make them off limits, it just means that we might want to expand what is appealing to a wider variety of people. Pool party Ziggs, Astronautilus, Battle Bunny Riven, those are all pretty universally appealing takes on humor.

We get a lot more discerning nowadays.Since the skin quality has also upped recently, when we do do more of a "fun" or silly skin we deck it out to the nines where previously we might just have geo swap. That makes light-hearted skins just as work intensive. We want to make them have the most thematic penetration throughout thier custom animations or particles.

Yes, we've gone a bit serious recently, but that will change. We need to make room for everything and introduce a bit more of a steady silly cadence into our releases I feel.
Still I wish Suprise Party Fiddle had unique quotes

Taunt: "Time to celebrate...your death!!!"

"Dance like it is the end of the world!"

Joke: "I always wonder why no one likes my surprises? WAH EVEN I DIDN'T ENJOY MY OWN SURPRISES!"

PeteYPete

01-24-2013

Track Star Nidalee

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-24-2013
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteMeGood View Post
Still I wish Suprise Party Fiddle had unique quotes

Taunt: "Time to celebrate...your death!!!"

Joke: "I always wonder why no one likes my surprises? WAH EVEN I DIDN'T ENJOY MY OWN SURPRISES!"
That would probably have constituted bumping it to Legendary.

GukeSkywalker

01-24-2013

Quote:
Yeah, giving Riot a reason to charge us more is a terrible idea.

Aeaeros

01-24-2013

Thanks for replying IronStylus, quite the honor!

And that's very much true to take into account the global audience. With that in mind, I cannot help but think of how global some of the ideas presented in the thread are (such as Pizza Deliver Sivir, or my own Baseball Jayce -- I mean Baseball is played in quite a few countries and I believe is returning to the Olympics too).

With that in mind, I know the NBA believes Basketball is the second most played sports in the world as well and while I don't have any really clever ideas up myself, others have mentioned the association with "Dunkmaster", clearly a reference to basketball dunking! I've seen a few other Rioters mention dunking too (I think some of the Champion designers).

I do know Basketball is popular in China, Europe and the United States though, arguably that would encompass most of your target audience.

Honestly though, the only Champion I can really think of with thematic basketballs (besides Syndra and Orianna with the obvious "balls") is probably Draven. Think of the possibilities of Dunkmaster Draven! Spinning Axes? Meet Spinning Balls! Dribble animations galore. Harlem Globetrotter Draven? His ultimate? How about one of those Lebron James chest-passes or those Dwayne Wade Hail Mary!

I am sincerely glad you replied though and your comments have been kind. I know you guys all have unlimited imaginations, just limited time.

RavenHusky

01-24-2013

Quote:
Wasn't Surprise Party Fiddlesticks already classified as a legendary, despite the 975 RP price?

Iustis

01-24-2013

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned like that on release, for what it's worth it's marked as such on the wiki.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-24-2013
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaeros View Post
Thanks for replying IronStylus, quite the honor!

And that's very much true to take into account the global audience. With that in mind, I cannot help but think of how global some of the ideas presented in the thread are (such as Pizza Deliver Sivir, or my own Baseball Jayce -- I mean Baseball is played in quite a few countries and I believe is returning to the Olympics too).

With that in mind, I know the NBA believes Basketball is the second most played sports in the world as well and while I don't have any really clever ideas up myself, others have mentioned the association with "Dunkmaster", clearly a reference to basketball dunking! I've seen a few other Rioters mention dunking too (I think some of the Champion designers).

I do know Basketball is popular in China, Europe and the United States though, arguably that would encompass most of your target audience.

Honestly though, the only Champion I can really think of with thematic basketballs (besides Syndra and Orianna with the obvious "balls") is probably Draven. Think of the possibilities of Dunkmaster Draven! Spinning Axes? Meet Spinning Balls! Dribble animations galore. Harlem Globetrotter Draven? His ultimate? How about one of those Lebron James chest-passes or those Dwayne Wade Hail Mary!

I am sincerely glad you replied though and your comments have been kind. I know you guys all have unlimited imaginations, just limited time.
Yep, baseball is pretty global, but it might not be what's most in the minds of our particular users. Themes like summer, space travel, holiday related themes, those all tend to be fertile ground for ideas. While we really like to get into our "memes" here in North America, it's easy to forget there's an entire world that plays League of Legends! As much as we in the US might be confused and possibly not interested in something so uniquely regional in another country, we have to remember that the rest of the world isn't always going to get what we here find amusing. Again, that's not to say we won't make a good idea, some ideas are just more universal, and I think we're better served by embracing what we universally find funny or silly.

It's pretty cool to see just how similar our sense of humor is when you look across the entire world!

Azmodeus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

So when are we getting Alzheimerdinger?