IronStylus, Where are the silly skins?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheEnygma

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrakka View Post
I thought Aether Wing Kayle was a silly skin. Silly that its worth legendary status.
Boom.

How about Bank Robber Singed? Carries a big bag of money with a $ on it and his poison trail is lots of dollar bills (now noobs can say there's a reason why they chased Singed) and his pool can be a whole bunch of coins.

notFREEfood

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
Boom.

How about Bank Robber Singed? Carries a big bag of money with a $ on it and his poison trail is lots of dollar bills (now noobs can say there's a reason why they chased Singed) and his pool can be a whole bunch of coins.
That sounds awesome

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-23-2013
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaeros View Post
Mr. Stylus,

I would like to see some more of the more playful or colorful skins again. I completely understand some of this skins might be not match the current theme or style of League of Legends, but you cannot deny some of these "silly" skins already exist too.

Now don't get me wrong, the recent skin work has been out of this world. And as a customer, I think you have created "value" for me; your recent skins are all a huge improvement over the older ones and for (the most part) the same price.

But with all of this fantastic and thematic stuff, what happened to the other stuff like Lil' Slugger Trundle? Or Totally Not Blitzcrank? (Even Pool Party Ziggs?) These serve to lighten the mood and are always good for a laugh or two.

With this in mind, I even have two ideas. One belongs to my friends though.

Batter Jayce / Baseball Jayce - Because I mean, his melee form E really feels like taking a Louisville Slugger to someone. Not to mention his ranged Q's can easily be seen as a fastball. Acceleration Gate? Oh that's just a cheating Technologist!

Bowling Malphite - Lots of potential here. Namely, his Q already looks a bit like a bowling ball. Now imagine the possibilities for his ultimate. Little **STRIKE** animation windows popping up if he knocks-down all 5 enemy members (think of the cute animations on Arcade Sona).

Bonus perks, there's already a few soccer skins (albeit dated) and the aforementioned Baseball Trundle skins -- Maybe even a Baseball Jayce skin for the next All-Star Game or World Series?

Just Another Summoner

P.S. Zyra also needs a Poison Ivy theme skin. I know you guys are huge comic book fans. Also, if anyone else has some ideas on silly (but fitting) skins, please feel free to share! Oh and for the record, I am not even a huge baseball fan. I just recognize the similarities there with Jayce.
Good ideas. That said, yes, we do have a bit of a gap in our releases I feel which should be filled with more light-hearted skins. I think one of the reasons we haven't done as many is because we're really trying to get global with our approach, making things broadly appealing to our world wide audience. That isn't to say we want to water down silly ideas or dial back, what we want to do is find the best universal silliness possible.

The global community isn't necessarily on the same wavelength as maybe a skin like Brolaf or Gentleman Cho'gath. That doesn't make them not awesome, or make them off limits, it just means that we might want to expand what is appealing to a wider variety of people. Pool party Ziggs, Astronautilus, Battle Bunny Riven, those are all pretty universally appealing takes on humor.

We get a lot more discerning nowadays.Since the skin quality has also upped recently, when we do do more of a "fun" or silly skin we deck it out to the nines where previously we might just have geo swap. That makes light-hearted skins just as work intensive. We want to make them have the most thematic penetration throughout thier custom animations or particles.

Yes, we've gone a bit serious recently, but that will change. We need to make room for everything and introduce a bit more of a steady silly cadence into our releases I feel.

Doktor Pat

01-23-2013

Any thoughts on the posts of legendary kayle skin being a tad lackluster in game? Just curious of your thoughts.

Including voice acting, spell effects, animations :)

Hellioning

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
We get a lot more discerning nowadays.Since the skin quality has also upped recently, when we do do more of a "fun" or silly skin we deck it out to the nines where previously we might just have geo swap. That makes light-hearted skins just as work intensive. We want to make them have the most thematic penetration throughout thier custom animations or particles.
Obviously the solution is to lower skin qualify.

And I am being completely serious. Have some simple palette swap skins, release them for 575. Problem solved! You can keep 975 for the serious super awesome change EVERYTHING skins.

I just want my costume changes back.

Doktor Pat

01-23-2013

Return to me parrot! :)

Iustis

01-23-2013

So what about joke skins for April fools? Could be treated like the other holidays perhaps if Riot really wanted to.

togapika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Painter Ziggs skin...
A little beret and french mustache with a smock and paint palette
Throws paint bombs or something
Satchel charge is a paint can

Tinithor

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
My Little Hecarim! Paint him pink, add hearts and rainbows, and add some voiceovers expressing how Hecarim is going to ensure the skin's designers die a slow and painful death. Keep all the rest of his voiceovers.

Shoutcaster Sona! Replace her instrument with a desk with a couple laptops on it, and stick her in a Riot t-shirt and a headset. Work in "Tons of Damage!" somewhere in her VO.
I would instantly buy both of these skins.

Riot Please.

Fisherman Fizz

01-23-2013

Is that change of pace going to refer to champion releases as well as skins? I miss seeing more lighthearted champion releases like Fizz and Lulu, or really most of the older champs like Veigar, Blitzcrank, and pretty much everyone else.