Riot needs to fix the tribunal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dignitas Rampant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

I write down precedent, but only because it helps me understand the system more.

Rueian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
I like the fact that riot just permabanned some pro players but people are still trying to use "I'm competitive so its ok" as a defense. All professional sports will suspend you if misbehave and if half the things that are said in the tribunal case I've read were ever said during an actual sporting event by a participant you can bet your ass that player would never be back on the field and it wouldn't have multiple warnings
one of the guys was trying to and was successfully changing his behavior pattern so he could be a part of the competitive team. According to Surrender@20 and his team.

PenguinKillBear

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueian View Post
one of the guys was trying to and was successfully changing his behavior pattern so he could be a part of the competitive team. According to Surrender@20 and his team.
Then he waited too long to change. Most people do not/should not get 5 chances to fix their behavior while still ruining games for people.

Rueian

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinKillBear View Post
Then he waited too long to change. Most people do not/should not get 5 chances to fix their behavior while still ruining games for people.
I dont know the whole story, i dont know if he was banned from league or just from competitive play.

GON the Mage Guy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ferret View Post
So how do people get pardoned then. Wouldnt it be if everyone click punish then the punish rate would be 100%?

You logic is bad and you should feel bad too.
80% of the time it works all the time.

YueienGato

01-23-2013

Quote:
I dont know the whole story, i dont know if he was banned from league or just from competitive play.
Both.

And so far all we have is the narrative of his team - which is to say is not unbiased is anything but considering they KNEW of his past before.

They ran a risk without clearing it up first from Riot. What can I say? The past catches up to us.

Rueian

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YueienGato View Post
Both.

And so far all we have is the narrative of his team - which is to say is not unbiased is anything but considering they KNEW of his past before.

They ran a risk without clearing it up first from Riot. What can I say? The past catches up to us.
Riot knew, and riot didn't make a decision till last minute.
Riot asked about his name change.

YueienGato

01-23-2013

Quote:
Riot knew, and riot didn't make a decision till last minute.
Riot asked about his name change.
They knew of his behaviour, his past, and his future intent by changing his name to try to escape his past.

His team should have been the ones going to Riot first to clear it up; not the otherway around. Their actions can be summed up as, at best, naive or, at worse, complicit in trying to help someone evade the consequences of his past acts.

Either situation puts a bad light on the reputation of e-sports. Just cause he can "claim" to be better does not mean he is doing it - Riot would know this better since they have access to his records.

Rueian

01-23-2013

True, but i feel like it is punishing a player for attempting to change. Leaving the stigma behind the name is a good start because it helps lessen the hostility of the the public eye.

YueienGato

01-23-2013

Quote:
True, but i feel like it is punishing a player for attempting to change. Leaving the stigma behind the name is a good start because it helps lessen the hostility of the the public eye.
Once again, it is a "claim" to change.

No one in the spotlight, much less his four other teammates (who ultimately choose him to help represent THEIR team) want to say, "Yeah, I'mma Jagoff and still am. Suck it" as an excuse.

It doesn't fly because it isn't compelling.

To say, "Yeah, I was a bad guy but now I am rainbow and sunshine good" is suspect. We do not know, for a start, if his change was genuine or not. Being an annoymous player to being raised to an e-sport platform is something else: you have to be SEEN as being not just a good player but a good sport because the community you now represent is a much small, more watched and, as such, scrutinized population.

He has been banned from the 3rd season: he can work through the remainder of this season to garner goodwill for an attempt at the 4th season. His team? Well they rolled the dice and got the bad shakes of it, but they ain't, as I've said, innocent of this whole affair. If anything else, their positive spin on the narrative was expected as salvaging their reputation.

My question though is, overall, why is it that the last 3 pro players who have been barred from this season's play all been Junglers? Is there something inherently jerkifying for that role or what?

EDIT:

Quote:
We're now taking action in order to help ensure that players seeking to compete in the LCS represent the principles of good sportsmanship and clean play. To be clear, the actions taken today are the result of the players' recent misbehavior; their past actions on previous accounts provided historical context and helped to inform our decisions regarding the appropriate actions to take.
LINK: http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/boar...25#post5032725

So much for claims of changing.

Quote:
League of Legends Competition Ruling

Player: Ilyas Hartsema / mouz enVision
Region: Europe
Date of Ruling: 01.19.13
Subject: Suspension; Violations of SummonerĘs Code

Facts
Recently, a majority of players on the Tribunal voted to permanently ban the mouz envision (“enVision”) account of Ilyas Hartsema (“Hartsema”). After reviewing the case, the Riot player behavior team approved the ban.

The enVision account has been punished by Tribunal five times, including the recent permanent ban. This account has established an undeniable record of in-game harassment, abuse, and poor behavior.

70% of reports were for Offensive Language, Verbal Abuse, and Negative Attitude, with similar percentages across other known aliases.
enVision has been reported in 29% of total matches, a rate 6X greater than the average EU player.

Hartsema's gameplay history is awash with violations:
•He previously received 18 punishments across multiple other accounts, resulting in two additional permanent bans.
One previous account, shookl2, registered one of the highest harassment scores ever recorded.
Another earlier account, JungleReject, received 436 reports in only 135 games.

Despite repeated punishments and official warnings across multiple accounts, Hartsema's inappropriate behavior has stubbornly continued, even as his team advanced into the upcoming League of Legends Championship Series (“LCS”) Season Three EU Qualifier.
In the past two months alone, the enVision account has been punished five times
enVision's peak harassment score placed the account among the worst 0.06% of all European accounts this month.

Relevant Rules
The Summoner's Code establishes the standards of behavior for all League of Legends players.

Analysis
Hartsema has consistently engaged in behavior which violates the letter and spirit of the Summoner's Code. His persistent tendency to engage in verbal abuse, insults and offensive behavior is unacceptable for any player, especially a high-profile eSports competitor who has a regular opportunity to lead the community by example.

Ruling
Hartsema has violated the Summoner's Code in a systematic and unrepentant fashion.

Penalties
Hartsema is:
•Ineligible to compete in the LCS Season Three European Qualifier in Warsaw, January 25-27, 2013.
•Ineligible to compete in the LCS for a period of one year; this suspension shall commence immediately.