Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

Yes 705 54.95%
No 578 45.05%
Voters: 1283. You may not vote on this poll

Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly Inc View Post
So if i translate 1/3 into English it turns into this. 1 divided into 3. Taking one whole, and dividing it into 3 parts.

If I translate .333... repeating into English I get this: a fraction of a whole number stretching to infinity.

So if you mean to say that .999 repeating = 1 in the same way that Pi = a circle then yes, for mathematical sanity, .999 repeating = 1.

However, reality dictates that .999 does not = 1. For the same reason that Outer Space is not really comprised of absolute nothing, or that a cat who has been gassed in a box with no way out is actually dead, despite you not actually -witnessing- it (see Schrodinger).

Yes, for the sake of human understanding, and that the fundamentals of rudimentary mathematics are not completely undermined by something that is technically incomplete, mathematicians can safely assume that .999 repeating does equal 1. But it really doesn't.
This is incoherent. Math doesn't deal with or care about your "common sense" view of the world, it only deals in absolutes, proofs, and logic. It is absolutey proven using undeniable logic that .99~ = 1 from the axioms of the reals.

Aliath

01-24-2013

Please leave the OT forum.

Crowcide

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
no assumptions have been made, trollish idiot
No need to be rude, he is actually trying unlike some in this thread...

Aliath

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcide View Post
No need to be rude, he is actually trying unlike some in this thread...
You are being rude by interfering with our forum.

Crowcide

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliath View Post
You are being rude by interfering with our forum.
Yeah man posting facts relevant to a discussion I have some expertise in, what an interference and bother I am. Since you clearly own OT you should ban me for life.

Kaolla

01-24-2013

Quote:
clearly you aren't after a real discussion, good troll though.
someone who disagrees with you and refuses to follow your red herrings is a troll. whatever

Crowcide

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
someone who disagrees with you and refuses to follow your red herrings is a troll. whatever
You posited a belief. I asked you a question relevant to that belief that you most likely know will ultimately show you to be wrong. You are refusing to answer and calling it a "red hearing". You are trolling. You won't answer my question. You know it's relevant.

I love how somehow you know if a set of axioms are relevant when you won't even let us know if you understand them.

Aliath

01-24-2013

Quote:
Yeah man posting facts relevant to a discussion I have some expertise in, what an interference and bother I am. Since you clearly own OT you should ban me for life.
You don't have to be rude.

Crowcide

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliath View Post
You don't have to be rude.
You told me to get out of "your" forum for no reason...

Aliath

01-24-2013

Quote:
You told me to get out of "your" forum for no reason...
You are being a little dramatic. I asked you to please leave our forum. No need to lie.